#11 (the aftermath of December 2012 cuts)

pegasus_msu

Even before the cuts in December 2012, I had been reporting to the CTA that certain busses at certain times during the morning rush (the only period I've ever consistently monitored) were not showing up on the bus tracker. In the morning, the actual paper schedule is fairly reliable, and so I could generally count on a bus to come to my stop (Lincoln & Catalpa) around 630 ish, also 7:10 AM, but then one day several several months ago...they stopped appearing. It would come, but it's not on the tracker.

Since the cuts, the frequency has been reduced. Factor in the fact that busses are not reliably on the bus tracker (and who wants to wait at the stop for an indeterminate amount of time???), I basically resigned myself to there being only 1 or 2 morning #11s.

I have wondered if the crappy service is deliberate, so no one rides, which will justify reducing or eliminating service altogether.

I stopped taking it. Started walking to Western. When I had had enough, I moved! I now get on at the Rockwell brown line stop. I have seen a few others from my #11 days getting on at Rockwell too. Have others bailed on the #11?

...I have wondered if the crappy service is deliberate, so no one rides, which will justify reducing or eliminating service altogether.

Odds are they left that part only because there wasn't service north of Lawrence,but not really enough patronage to support service.

Unless there is big business to Lincolnwood Town Center (and that competes with 290), they could just put 96 Lunt back on north Kedzie.

• 1 month later...

Odds are they left that part only because there wasn't service north of Lawrence,but not really enough patronage to support service.

Unless there is big business to Lincolnwood Town Center (and that competes with 290), they could just put 96 Lunt back on north Kedzie.

Well unless it's rush hour, service on the 96 is every half hour. So that's wouldn't really be much of an improvement. if anything it's in the opposite direction.

• 4 months later...

If one can make anything out of the July Ridership report, CTA lost 2443 average weekday boardings by canceling the middle part of the the 11 Lincoln route.

Manner of calculation is 11 is down from 5,489 last year to 1,541 (the latter representing the portion mentioned above north of the Brown Line) plus adding back 1505 on 37 Sedgwick.

If one can make anything out of the July Ridership report, CTA lost 2443 average weekday boardings by canceling the middle part of the the 11 Lincoln route.

Manner of calculation is 11 is down from 5,489 last year to 1,541 (the latter representing the portion mentioned above north of the Brown Line) plus adding back 1505 on 37 Sedgwick.

So much for their BS line that it was more efficient providing the service without the middle portion when we all knew the service levels was going to suffer from that big a cut.

So much for their BS line that it was more efficient providing the service without the middle portion when we all knew the service levels was going to suffer from that big a cut.

Shows that someone was riding it. Doesn't indicate if CTA lost the passengers or they use some other route, or what the difference in efficiency is (although, obviously, the north portion isn't efficient).

Shows that someone was riding it. Doesn't indicate if CTA lost the passengers or they use some other route, or what the difference in efficiency is (although, obviously, the north portion isn't efficient).

You're right, some could have migrated to the 49, 50, the Brown Line and the east-west routes that operate in the area of that middle portion. But that portion north of the Brown Line Western station as you say can't be all that efficient being nothing more than a feeder to the Brown Line especially with only about half the current route serving Lincoln Avenue and the other half on Kedzie..

• 7 months later...

Yeah, but 1 Mayor Daley is no longer Mayor Daley and 2 Rahm Emanuel is from Irving Park Road but for some reason he's not representing FG!! :P

Lives a heck of a lot closer to 22 Clark (Claypool lives next to it), and people are saying it has new artics on it.

If anyone, he would have represented the people on Lincoln, but we know how that came out.

I'm convinced that Illinois politicians only represent themselves and have insulated themselves to preserve that, but that's a whole different topic.

Lives a heck of a lot closer to 22 Clark (Claypool lives next to it), and people are saying it has new artics on it.

If anyone, he would have represented the people on Lincoln, but we know how that came out.

I'm convinced that Illinois politicians only represent themselves and have insulated themselves to preserve that, but that's a whole different topic.

Yep, lots of brand new artics with decent seats on both 22 & 151.

It's now a relative pleasure to ride Clark on weekends when there are only artics.

Some 151s are still 4000s.

• Upvote 1

Yep, lots of brand new artics with decent seats on both 22 & 151.

It's now a relative pleasure to ride Clark on weekends when there are only artics.

Some 151s are still 4000s.

Well with slightly more than half of the artics now being the clean diesels, it's not much of a surprise that a lot of artics on 22 and 151 are the newer ones. It's the same on 146 and 147 as well. And on weekdays with that interline between the Broadway/Devon short trips of the 147 and 135 and 136, a lot of the artics on the those two NP operated LaSalle Express routes also tend to be the newer ones.

That might explain why I saw a mix of 1000s and 4333s on the 22 this past Sunday.

Well with slightly more than half of the artics now being the clean diesels, it's not much of a surprise that a lot of artics on 22 and 151 are the newer ones. It's the same on 146 and 147 as well. And on weekdays with that interline between the Broadway/Devon short trips of the 147 and 135 and 136, a lot of the artics on the those two NP operated LaSalle Express routes also tend to be the newer ones.

Sorry for going off topic but im curious about how this interline you mentioned work.... because Devon runs on the 147 run in the same direction as 135/136... do the 147's deadhead downtown after going north then become 135's/136?

Sorry for going off topic but im curious about how this interline you mentioned work.... because Devon runs on the 147 run in the same direction as 135/136... do the 147's deadhead downtown after going north then become 135's/136?

There are a certain number of buses that "start" at Foster-Sheridan signed only as "Downtown" in the early p.m. rush and go express on LSD. jajuan also mentioned Broadway/Devon trips, some of which may turn around at Devon and become 136, or some use Devon and McCormick to get back to NP.

LSD deadheads seem pretty frequent, for instance I noted a couple of years ago some 156s that do not go to Belmont-Halsted, but just Belmont and deadhead back on LSD.

Yes. There are times that I've boarded buses on the 136 and once I've gotten home, I'd notice the same bus would show up later that rush period as a 135 and again as a 147 to Broadway/Devon. And some of the earlier 147 short trips to Devon will deadhead back downtown to become 135s and/or 136s. This is reason why some riders might ride a 135 or 136 and have that trip show up as a 147 bus on their Ventra transit histories.