Purple line tie replacement starts in May

BusHunter

I can't believe it. There actually going to fix the ties on the Purple line. http://articles.redeyechicago.com/2013-04-26/news/38848812_1_purple-line-cta-track-evanston-officials The Purple line has some of the oldest slow zones at CTA. Some stretches, one I remember, from Main to Dempster has been in place since the 90's. The rail ties look really bad, I was looking at them last week. The rail bed seems to be sinking into the embankment in spots. It looks really bad around Main. Some ties are being held together by metal brackets screwed into other adjacent ties and this is on the express track 4. Hopefully they can fix the express ties also. I noticed they have a rail smoother parked on the spur from South Blvd. As far as the Red line they now have all new ties from the Broadway/Wilson embankment to Jarvis. Obviously, the tie replacement crews that were working around Lawrence the other week were completing the Red line main tie replacement project. So that should be done now.

I can't believe it. There actually going to fix the ties on the Purple line. http://articles.redeyechicago.com/2013-04-26/news/38848812_1_purple-line-cta-track-evanston-officials The Purple line has some of the oldest slow zones at CTA. Some stretches, one I remember, from Main to Dempster has been in place since the 90's. The rail ties look really bad, I was looking at them last week. The rail bed seems to be sinking into the embankment in spots. It looks really bad around Main. Some ties are being held together by metal brackets screwed into other adjacent ties and this is on the express track 4. Hopefully they can fix the express ties also. I noticed they have a rail smoother parked on the spur from South Blvd. As far as the Red line they now have all new ties from the Broadway/Wilson embankment to Jarvis. Obviously, the tie replacement crews that were working around Lawrence the other week were completing the Red line main tie replacement project. So that should be done now.

The ties are stacked high in the 63rd St.Lower Yard. Saw them today. This is going to be a CTA trackworkers project perhaps??? I had asked is all future trackwork going to be done by outside contractors. The Purple project was mentioned, along with tamping the Oak Park embankment of the Green line.

IIRC this work will go from south to nort and will be primarily done on nights and weekends when the Express is not running. By the time the work reaches Howard, I expect weekend closures and bus shuttles to be the norm.

Its not going to involve tracks 1 and 4 in the city.... Just from Howard to Linden according to the link on the home page

Its not going to involve tracks 1 and 4 in the city.... Just from Howard to Linden according to the link on the home page

Probably won't have much more impact on train operations during construction than the replacement of the five viaducts, which I inaccurately thought would have fixed the slow zones.