Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

The $5 fee is waived for Ventra card purchases by phone, over the web, and at Ventra retailers through 7/7/14. It is not waived at Ventra vending machines.

The 7-day period starts running when you first use the pass, not when you buy it.

Funny. I purchased my first Ventra card at a vending machine, then i registered online and got my $5 credit. When I purchased my card, I got a monthly pass on it. After my monthly expired, I still had my $5 transit balance.

Posted

Good question because I was wondering why the transit police was over there. So I'm guessing that someone was going through the turnstile or the handicap gate.

Your mention of transit police in part also answers my question that came to mind of how they probably responded to the safety concerns that were likely to crop up at 69th for those riders who may have decided to purchase or reload Ventra cards at the machines using a debit or credit card. Even though it takes slightly longer to conduct your transactions using cash when paying with multiple bills, it seems to be a common theme among the criminal elements out there, regards of location, that they tend to peg you as having more money and being a more desirable mark if they see you using a debit or credit card in a more secluded location, which an L station fare payment area can become during night and early morning hours.

Posted

Funny. I purchased my first Ventra card at a vending machine, then i registered online and got my $5 credit. When I purchased my card, I got a monthly pass on it. After my monthly expired, I still had my $5 transit balance.

Depends how much money you put into it originally, If you paid $5 plus $100 for the pass, you still should have the $5 on it. Next time, pay only $95.

Get those debit and credit cards out.

My inference was that the vast majority of riders at 69th wouldn't have one (unless they are already being suckered by some debit card other than Ventra).

Posted

Depends how much money you put into it originally, If you paid $5 plus $100 for the pass, you still should have the $5 on it. Next time, pay only $95.

My inference was that the vast majority of riders at 69th wouldn't have one (unless they are already being suckered by some debit card other than Ventra).

Sorry but despite what location that may be, the last part of your post is a rather stereotypically gross misconception. Same thing gets said about west side and other neighborhoods on a lower economic and financial scale, and it turns out to be a lot of residents have debit cards, most of which are issued by an actual brick and mortar bank and not one of those prepaid ripoffs which now includes the Ventra option. And before you quote some economic analysis given by folks who quite likely never really stepped foot in the area, I base my observation on personal experience through spending time in that area and others on the south side visiting family and friends that more often than not, a good number of residents I came across, including some of more limited means, had debit cards issued by an actual bank in the traditional brick and mortar or other physical sense of that term.

  • Upvote 2
Posted

Sorry but despite what location that may be, the last part of your post is a rather stereotypically gross misconception. Same thing gets said about west side and other neighborhoods on a lower economic and financial scale, and it turns out to be a lot of residents have debit cards, most of which are issued by an actual brick and mortar bank and not one of those prepaid ripoffs which now includes the Ventra option.

Even the brick and mortar banks have fees on the prepaid debit cards (for instance, Chase Liquid is $4.95/month, although preferred customers with free checking don't pay the fee, but don't need the card). I also assume that the currency exchanges aren't advertising a debit card out of the goodness of their hearts.

Posted

Even the brick and mortar banks have fees on the prepaid debit cards (for instance, Chase Liquid is $4.95/month, although preferred customers with free checking don't pay the fee, but don't need the card). I also assume that the currency exchanges aren't advertising a debit card out of the goodness of their hearts.

And I suppose you've been in those folks' wallets or otherwise think you can extrapolate that most of those folks have something prepaid from a third party or similar to Chase Liquid.

Posted

And I suppose you've been in those folks' wallets or otherwise think you can extrapolate that most of those folks have something prepaid from a third party or similar to Chase Liquid.

I don't even assume that. As my first post indicated, I assumed that a certain number would try to use cash if they hadn't preloaded their Ventra cards.

Again, it seems like you have gone on some sort of racial stereotype tangent when I was only trying to make an economic point. Maybe they all have internet access and load their cards that way, but then there wouldn't be a need for 3 nonworking machines.

Posted

I don't even assume that. As my first post indicated, I assumed that a certain number would try to use cash if they hadn't preloaded their Ventra cards.

Again, it seems like you have gone on some sort of racial stereotype tangent when I was only trying to make an economic point. Maybe they all have internet access and load their cards that way, but then there wouldn't be a need for 3 nonworking machines.

What racial stereotype tangent? I didn't even bring up or mention race so I don't know where you got that one from. My response to you stayed strictly on the economic, and my point to you was your observation that most wouldn't have debit cards unless it was one of those prepaid ones was based on a financial and economic stereotype.

Posted

I've seen plenty of people on the south side with a Ventra card whether it's school, regular, u-pass, ride-free, etc. I rarely see anybody use cash on buses out there. As far as the debit card scenario, I can't speak for everybody if they have one or not regardless of which banks they're affiliated with. Come on guys, let's not get out of hand with this.

Posted

Ventra TVMs have chronic problems with accepting bills and giving change. It seems like at least 1 or 2 machines at every rail station I go to is not performing one of those tasks. I wonder if Cubic's pickup/dropoff schedule is less frequent than when CTA was in charge of the money collection.

Posted

Damn, talk about a triple play on the Ventra machines because none of them aren't taking any bills. Courtesy of 69th Red Line.

It would seem that if the machines aren't taking bills, the number one reason would be that they are full of cash. I don't remember if these machines are capable of taking coin dollars. Assuming that it does, that could be a viable option, but most people don't carry coined dollars on them. The question becomes how often are these machines "emptied" ? Who is responsible for collecting the cash from these machines, CTA , a bank, or some other outside vendor?

Among other possible reasons are vandalism, which would make the machines unable to accept cash and possibly set up those machines as a place to steal debit/dredit card informatiion. Certainly the cameras around the station should be able to capture anyone tampering with the equipment. Also there should be a CA posted nearby that should be keeping an eye out for that kind of thing.

Posted

Ventra TVMs have chronic problems with accepting bills and giving change. It seems like at least 1 or 2 machines at every rail station I go to is not performing one of those tasks. I wonder if Cubic's pickup/dropoff schedule is less frequent than when CTA was in charge of the money collection.

I don't believe Ventra machines are supposed to give change.

  • Upvote 1
Posted

I don't even assume that. As my first post indicated, I assumed that a certain number would try to use cash if they hadn't preloaded their Ventra cards.

Again, it seems like you have gone on some sort of racial stereotype tangent when I was only trying to make an economic point. Maybe they all have internet access and load their cards that way, but then there wouldn't be a need for 3 nonworking machines.

What racial stereotype tangent? I didn't even bring up or mention race so I don't know where you got that one from. My response to you stayed strictly on the economic, and my point to you was your observation that most wouldn't have debit cards unless it was one of those prepaid ones was based on a financial and economic stereotype.

Well there's no getting around the racial aspect of this given the location, so whether race was brought up or not, there is automatically a racial implication to it. In today's world it would seem rather foolish NOT to have some sort of plastic, whether it is a bank debitg/credit card or some other prepaid card. If someone steals your cards, that value can be replenished. If someone steals cash from you, that money is not retrievable. Because of these cards, carrying a lot of cash becomes unnecessary. Rare is the person nowadays that carries no plastic whatsoever.

I suppose the best tip is to load Ventra cards online, in the safety of your home or wherever you are not exposing your plastic. It is a good idea to carry a small amount of cash (I would say $20 or less).

I noticed three machines at the 69th ST station, whereas a lot of stations only have two. We know then that 69th is a very busy station and those machines get a lot of usage.

Posted

I've seen plenty of people on the south side with a Ventra card whether it's school, regular, u-pass, ride-free, etc. I rarely see anybody use cash on buses out there. As far as the debit card scenario, I can't speak for everybody if they have one or not regardless of which banks they're affiliated with. Come on guys, let's not get out of hand with this.

No one's getting out of hand. He made a point, and I disagreed and made my own to which the matter is now closed. We're not always going to agree on everything and sing Kumbaya.

  • Upvote 2
Posted

Well there's no getting around the racial aspect of this given the location, so whether race was brought up or not, there is automatically a racial implication to it. In today's world it would seem rather foolish NOT to have some sort of plastic, whether it is a bank debitg/credit card or some other prepaid card. If someone steals your cards, that value can be replenished. If someone steals cash from you, that money is not retrievable. Because of these cards, carrying a lot of cash becomes unnecessary. Rare is the person nowadays that carries no plastic whatsoever.

I suppose the best tip is to load Ventra cards online, in the safety of your home or wherever you are not exposing your plastic. It is a good idea to carry a small amount of cash (I would say $20 or less).

I noticed three machines at the 69th ST station, whereas a lot of stations only have two. We know then that 69th is a very busy station and those machines get a lot of usage.

It's definitely getting more Ventra purchases and reloads done there at the station than a lot of the north side Red Line stations I've seen. I've mainly seen three machines at stations that are transfer stations like Howard, Fullerton or Belmont.

Posted

It's definitely getting more Ventra purchases and reloads done there at the station than a lot of the north side Red Line stations I've seen. I've mainly seen three machines at stations that are transfer stations like Howard, Fullerton or Belmont.

At least at one time 69th was considered a major transfer station, in that it is the only one other than 95th on the Dan Ryan that has a bus terminal.

Posted

At least at one time 69th was considered a major transfer station, in that it is the only one other than 95th on the Dan Ryan that has a bus terminal.

Makes sense in that a negative Ventra balance (of a limited amount) may be carried on a bus but not on the train, and with 4 bus routes (29, 30, 67, and 71 (6 routes if you count the N5 and 169)) serving the station, I suppose an extra machine helps out. I think Sox-35th also has at least three machines.

Posted

It would seem that if the machines aren't taking bills, the number one reason would be that they are full of cash. I don't remember if these machines are capable of taking coin dollars. Assuming that it does, that could be a viable option, but most people don't carry coined dollars on them. The question becomes how often are these machines "emptied" ? Who is responsible for collecting the cash from these machines, CTA , a bank, or some other outside vendor?

Among other possible reasons are vandalism, which would make the machines unable to accept cash and possibly set up those machines as a place to steal debit/dredit card informatiion. Certainly the cameras around the station should be able to capture anyone tampering with the equipment. Also there should be a CA posted nearby that should be keeping an eye out for that kind of thing.

Cubic is responsible for the cash handling of all machines. Damn, some told me to take a pic of a Cubic guy opening the machine.

Posted

No one's getting out of hand. He made a point, and I disagreed and made my own to which the matter is now closed. We're not always going to agree on everything and sing Kumbaya.

That's understandable but I only said it because I didn't want to see anybody on here get offended based off perception of nationality (I don't like saying "race") towards anything.

Posted

At least at one time 69th was considered a major transfer station, in that it is the only one other than 95th on the Dan Ryan that has a bus terminal.

True. It's the only other one with a bus bridge over the expressway to facilitate buses turning around on their respective routes. I was actually referring to stations that are major transfer points between rail lines. But 69th having three machines, in light of the six bus routes that pass through and/or turn around there, still makes a lot of sense. Speaking of rail transfer stations, I'm not sure if the elevated HW Library-State/Van Buren station has three now in that it hasn't always been a free connect point to the Jackson Red and Blue Line subway stations.

Posted

I don't believe Ventra machines are supposed to give change.

Speaking of change, I was at Chicago Red Line and I was putting money on my card with change but I forgot that I had another one with $4 on it. All of a sudden after I pressed the black button by the coin slot to get my change back, I've received 4 $1 coins (3 gold and a rare silver one dated back from 1979)!!! Like wow!!!!

post-1364-0-39377900-1405051225_thumb.jp

Posted

Speaking of change, I was at Chicago Red Line and I was putting money on my card with change but I forgot that I had another one with $4 on it. All of a sudden after I pressed the black button by the coin slot to get my change back, I've received 4 $1 coins (3 gold and a rare silver one dated back from 1979)!!! Like wow!!!!

From someone who handles currency for a living, the silver $1 coin isn't worth much more than the face value. I see a lot of these in our dump bank where we ship this off through an Armored Car service. We typically get 3-4 of these in a week's time. The gold ones are probably 2006-present day, and aren't worth more than the face value of them. We get a lot more of the gold than the silver (5-9 in a week's time).

Posted

I just wanted to know if any one knows what happents to yhe lefy over mone from my bus ticket. I own plastic ventra and i also buy the paper Ventra tickets. What i dont underatand is why am i not able to put the 25¢ left over from my bus ride thowords my next purhes or transfer to my pladtic Ventra like i was able to do with magnetic strip cards. I dont take rail just bus so corect me if i am wrong byt according to CTA it is $2 for the first ride 25¢ fir secend and free for the third if used within 2 h. So if i am paing $2.25 for bus rides and 50¢ service charge wht happens to the left over 25¢ from the $3 ticket price? Who geta it? I have asked CTA if thay have get it but thay told me to call Ventra that thay are bot givi g CTA any mone that is not used by riders and Ventra said that thay only keep 50¢ service fee so who gets that mone? It adds up to lots of mone quickly. Doea any one know what happens to it or has an explanation pleas e-mail me at [email protected] i am also trying get some people together to help ke protect my felow CTA costumers if CTA does not act

Posted

I just wanted to know if any one knows what happents to yhe lefy over mone from my bus ticket. I own plastic ventra and i also buy the paper Ventra tickets. What i dont underatand is why am i not able to put the 25¢ left over from my bus ride thowords my next purhes or transfer to my pladtic Ventra like i was able to do with magnetic strip cards. I dont take rail just bus so corect me if i am wrong byt according to CTA it is $2 for the first ride 25¢ fir secend and free for the third if used within 2 h. So if i am paing $2.25 for bus rides and 50¢ service charge wht happens to the left over 25¢ from the $3 ticket price? Who geta it? I have asked CTA if thay have get it but thay told me to call Ventra that thay are bot givi g CTA any mone that is not used by riders and Ventra said that thay only keep 50¢ service fee so who gets that mone? It adds up to lots of mone quickly. Doea any one know what happens to it or has an explanation pleas e-mail me at [email protected] i am also trying get some people together to help ke protect my felow CTA costumers if CTA does not act

I don't know what language this is in (or why you posted it twice), but the paper Ventra ticket is only (1) because the turnstiles do not accept cash, and (2) for CTA to get $3.00 out of a $2.25 fare, a denied fare increase that the CTA admitted by holding a hearing mandated by federal law when there is a fare increase.

You don't "own" a paper ticket except as a souvenir. The only way to have an account is to register a plastic card.

CTA keeps everything, and pays Cubic a $450 million fee over 12 years to operate the system. There is no business entity known as Ventra; it is a brand name similar to Nabisco.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...