95th Red Line Station Rebuild

BusHunter

2 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

I went and re-read the EA, and it sounds like the north terminal will be rehabilitated, not replaced

To what I was referring, with respect to replacing the ugly box building was the "North terminal view in daylight - conceptual artist's rendering"  on the CTA 95th project page. Between that and the gray steel, I didn't think that entrance would lead to a mechanical room, or whatever is south of the existing lobby.

5 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

I wonder what will happen to the 29 routing at the terminal once everything is complete. The diagram in the EA suggests that the north bus bridge will only be accessible from 95th and not from State/Lafayette. 

Assuming this is the case, and also that the north bus terminal still will operate clockwise, I don't  see how hairpin U turns from Lafayette or to State are possible. However, the answer may be the south terminal. If it operates eastbound, it could be straight in and out. Since it would more likely run westbound (so the bus door faces the station), it could run Lafayette, left 95th, right terminal, right 95th and left State. A couple of more traffic lights, but possible.

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

Assuming this is the case, and also that the north bus terminal still will operate clockwise, I don't  see how hairpin U turns from Lafayette or to State are possible. However, the answer may be the south terminal. If it operates eastbound, it could be straight in and out. Since it would more likely run westbound (so the bus door faces the station), it could run Lafayette, left 95th, right terminal, right 95th and left State. A couple of more traffic lights, but possible.

Which would also apply to  Greyhound 

• 2 weeks later...

Well here I am around 5 AM and the northbound platform is almost back to its regular programming. Trains should be on that side very soon to begin work on the southbound platform. Also and key note, the entire Red Line is restricted from operating 4 cars during overnight hours until this project is complete.

IMG_0582.JPG

IMG_0583.JPG

IMG_0584.JPG

2 hours ago, garmon757 said:

Well here I am around 5 AM and the northbound platform is almost back to its regular programming. Trains should be on that side very soon to begin work on the southbound platform. Also and key note, the entire Red Line is restricted from operating 4 cars during overnight hours until this project is complete.

IMG_0582.JPG

IMG_0583.JPG

IMG_0584.JPG

I don't  understand why 4 car trains can't  run overnight  unless capacity is restricted  in 98th Yard.

5 hours ago, garmon757 said:

Northbound platform is back to its regular scheduling program!

IMG_0585.JPG

So is it the SB track's turn?  How much longer  before normal ops resume at 95th?

The other day I rode a SB pm rush Red Line train destined for Ashland/63rd.  I got off at Cermak McCormick.  The train didn't  have enough people  to fill one car.  Funny thing was that, even though the destination  sign read Ashland/63rd, and the operator announced along with Mr CTA  that the train was  going to Ashland/63rd, there still passengers shocked when we approached  Cermak.  Fortunately  they were only going to  35th so they wee  o.k.   I guess there are very few if any transfers from Red Line trains from Howard to south side Green Line trains.   Thoug5 I like the supplement service,  people are  too entrenched in  their travel  ways for this to work outside of the  95th rebuild 

12 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Thoug5 I like the supplement service,  people are  too entrenched in  their travel  ways for this to work outside of the  95th rebuild 

Only reason CTA is doing it is because access to the 98th Yard is restricted, not that there is a sudden demand to go to Ray's Music Exchange, or even Whole Foods. These were essentially deadheads to begin with.

21 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Only reason CTA is doing it is because access to the 98th Yard is restricted, not that there is a sudden demand to go to Ray's Music Exchange, or even Whole Foods. These were essentially deadheads to begin with.

I understand that.   My point is  that  when  a viable alternative  is presented  at a given time,  most riders do NOT take advantage of it.  For example,  I m sure there were plenty of riders that could've  taken the Ashland  Red Line  trains which stop at 35th, 47th and Garfield, but chose to wait  for the next 96th train.

• 1 month later...

Yeah the sb ryan traffic was really screwed up from 79th south. They have both directions down to 3 lanes. I wonder how long before the south bus bridge is done because all the buses are probably going to switch over so they can do the north side of 95th.

The canopies seem to resemble the 35th street canopies. I thought Garfield has those too. That must be the official canopy of the Dan Ryan LOL!!