Heritage Car question

Around the Horn

when seeing pics from an old thread in SubChat,I noticed that 4271-4272 had special Yellow Line signs hanging on the non drivers window.Does anyone have info about why they did that and if there were other line's signs availible to hang?

When I saw it at Linden on the 100th Anniversary of CER not getting permission to go there, the roll signs (on the side windows) were set for Evanston Express, which was the last line on which that class of car actually ran (in fact I pointed that out to someone who asked).

I don't believe that it ever ran on the Skokie Swift in revenue service (although there are pictures of it on party trips), and, in any event, when the series was retired in the 1970s, there wasn't a Yellow Line, as it was called the Skokie Swift. So, as others said in that thread, that sign was just something else added after the fact, like the naugahyde seats.

Do you have a link to the SubChat post to which you referred?

I wonder what's the point of having a CTA sign board on an MTA train? Lol

Certainly not real. By the time such a sign (Helvetica with lower case) would have been used, that reading would have been on all roll signs. The only hanger I remember is for a train going to the 61st St. yard instead of all the way to Jackson Park.

NO...NO....NO. That sign board was REAL!!!!!

They were used the last days of the Englewood-Howard /Jackson Park-Howard .....the weekend the Red Line started. The old rollsign were removed.

I do know the sign you were talking about.... they said "61st ST. ONLY" when we made a SB put-in.
The sign hung on the top chains on the front door.

At 3:55, there are some video shots showing Englwood/ Jackson PK on that final weekend. Be sure you check the sign boards on the chain at the front doors and note all the roll signs are empty. The roll signs had Red and Green I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cya6om6NkE

Enjoy the videos.....

And, Busjack, those sign boards were real, LOL.

• Upvote 1

You're welcome. And there are the boards that we're the real deals.... Evanston Express and Niles Center. Skokie Shops would have a collection and IRM has one too.

P1110008.jpg

P1110089.jpg

Those signs are cool, but my question is where did that extra door mounted light come from?

At 3:55, there are some video shots showing Englwood/ Jackson PK on that final weekend. Be sure you check the sign boards on the chain at the front doors and note all the roll signs are empty. The roll signs had Red and Green I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cya6om6NkE

Enjoy the videos.....

And, Busjack, those sign boards were real, LOL.

Bookmarked a long time ago! Love it!

No one ever said the 4000 cars ran on the Yellow Line. But since the line was the last with overhead wire, this the always the line that the historical cars made trips on most of the time. Of couse the 4000 with trolley poles made revenue runs when the line was the Niles Center "L" branch. This is why railfans at the CTA made the several sign boards.

NO...NO....NO. That sign board was REAL!!!!!

They were used the last days of the Englewood-Howard /Jackson Park-Howard .....the weekend the Red Line started. The old rollsign were removed.

I do know the sign you were talking about.... they said "61st ST. ONLY" when we made a SB put-in.

The sign hung on the top chains on the front door.

There was another chain sign until 1969 or so - "to 58th only", used by one or two Englewood trains that laid up at 61st yard after AM rush, going for monthly inspection. Then you had the "to Wilson only" hang signs for the two post-AM rush Evanston trains that went to Wilson for inspection (but in reality they discharged at Merchandise Mart NB). Years earlier there were "Clark & Lake Last Stop" hang signs for Lake St A Trains that would be laid up WB on the middle track west of Rockwell after the morning rush.