4400 retirements

andrethebusman

I'm surprised they didn't keep #4761 for the same reason(that was the bus where someone was shot on, video from BusHunter's collection of News Media)

The law reason is usually that the TA is being sued for personal injury liability (such as when someone said that a Pace bus involved in an accident was on hold to inspect its brakes). If someone was shot on a bus, there is zero possibility that the mechanical condition of the bus was a legal cause of the injury. Once they got any camera recording, that would be it.

Also, since that was the Blair Holt case, there is no argument that it was not adequately documented.

CTA r# to Peoria (not sure if all actually got new #'s), 2200's later reused for new Gilligs.
2201 ex CTA 4748
2202 4550
2203 4579
2204 4415
2205 4671
2206 4732
2207 4592
2208 4711
2209 4758
2210 4781

Are you able to discern which were the operational ones and which weren't in Peoria? According to the article(I copied the text, the article doesn't exist now, but original link was on this forum)

• 8 or the 10 were routinely used for service while two were parts buses
  • 4 were used for regular service, two for backup, one needed a transmission
  • 4 were used for miscellaneous reasons/special events

I know 2202(ex-4550) was being used, as T8H5307A had video of it from Peoria, but has since removed it from YouTube. I just wonder what other buses were operable in their second lives.

On a personal note, I wish IRM would take 2202(4550) from CHBM to restore it. It would've been nice if they could've done that with 1606, but I'm sure that bus is in a scrapyard now since the engine was seized up courtesy of the CTA. I know you said it has transmission and air-ride issues, so it'll probably sit and rot and eventually go to the same scrapyard 1606 is most likely at. I would hope someone who owns/runs IRM visits the CHBM collection and buys it from them to restore and preserve it.