Camera tips

Busjack

Ok, now I remember that post. Thanks. Under the circumstances of ramification with personal photos, I find it very disheartening and disconcerting for all that mess to be initiated by some idiot. Also, I wouldn't ever display my kids name if it ain't Facebook (thanks for your input about it). Did you do something about the idiot who unprecedentedly retrieved your information?

I don't think he retrieved any information on line, but managed to put 2+2 together. I did complain to Kevin O'Neil about it.

That was discussed starting here.

If you are posting on a public site, it will be indexed.

The issue with iCloud is that it and the other clouds (and bank sites and the like) are supposed to be private, only accessible by password. But, assuming that someone broke into iCloud and then published the pictures, the search engines then pick them up. As Jimmy Kimmel asked, did anyone search for "Jennifer Lawrence nude" under "images" on a search engine once the story broke? One doesn't know if the results were the hacked pictures or even fakes, but there were search results.

The question you have to ask yourself is whether you want to post your real name (and a picture of your daughter) on a public site.That's your business, but you will note that very few people use their real names here. Some cyberthug figured out enough identifying information about me to post it on the CTA Tattler, but otherwise I'm not putting my real name on a blog post (and this is one of the reasons I have nothing to do with Facebook).

An additional problem with iPhones, is that Apple sets as default, that all photos will be uploaded to your cloud account. You must turn that off. That's why so many celebs got hacked, they didn't know this, plus they used as their password recovery question, answers that are publicly known. You need to lie on those, write the answers down in your house & then be consistent with your lies.

So if the question is "What city were you born in?" Type in something weird, like Zenith, Winnemac, which is the fictional city Sinclair Lewis used in his novels, standing in for Sauk Center Minnesota.

They also turn on Bluetooth when you first get the phone & even if you've turned off Bluetooth, every single time there's an update, Apple's update will turn it back on.

Bluetooth is an enormous battery hog, as it constantly searches for a devise to pair to, even if you don't have one.

So when ever Apple pushes out an update, go into Settings & turn off Bluetooth, unless you're going to use it.

• Upvote 1

Yes I never put my real name on public social sites outside of a professional contact site like LinkedIn. If you Google my name the only thing you will find is a link from the university I attended that still displays a senior year research project I conducted with classmates, a link that displays I passed an Illinois state preliminary level professional licensing exam and one other professional related link. But beyond that above mentioned class project I did in college you won't get anything personal about me on a name search. And even on the social sites I don't give too much info about me personally that's of a private or nonprofessional nature.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I still don't have a mobile telephone. My netbook computer has an SDHC slot. If I want to swiftly upload an image, I open up the Panasonic DMC-LF1 camera, take out the SDHC card, and insert it into the netbook. In Windows Explorer, there is a command in File>Rotate {clockwise | counterclockwise} which can be applied to as many images as you desire.

I prefer to store my images on a separate, free World-Wide Web uploading service. That way, I can refer them here, and|or to Skyscraper City or FlyerTalk (or in a different topic, to LTH Forum or Eater).

As for my real name, it's out here. You couldn't give me enough money to sign up for facebook, but the real name situation is only a partial reason. I've been on the World-Wide Web since March 1996, so I'm pretty much searchable. But I do have at least one semi-anonymous personae, and I'll even tell you what it is in person, but I will not corroborate it on-line. {I've had it almost ten years now.}

My philosophy is: If you want maintain control of your files, including images, keep them off the internet. Once they're out here, anybody can get them.