Camera tips

Busjack

I've mentioned to some people by personal messenger, but, anyway...

America's Funniest Home Videos first rule is: Make sure that the camera is in landscape orientation, that is unless you want something tall and skinny. I doubt that you want to post a picture where the subject is leaning 90 degrees to the left.*

Failing that, I usually import the picture to the PC and use a bitmap program, like Windows Paint, to rotate and crop it, then save the result as jpg for uploading.

Some people say they use iPhones, and I don't know what photo editing apps are available, but some of you who know can reply below. iPhoto seems to be the default. As indicated in some of the literature, Photoshop may be overkill.

Some people have also asked how to upload photos to this site, and, again, if some of you (hey Garmon :D** ) have figured out how to do it directly from a phone, please elaborate below.

________

*I don't know if the phone's ability to rotate the image when you rotate the phone messes up how you save the image.

**Mentioned only because he appears to have professional quality photos.

• Upvote 1

I've mentioned to some people by personal messenger, but, anyway...

America's Funniest Home Videos first rule is: Make sure that the camera is in landscape orientation, that is unless you want something tall and skinny. I doubt that you want to post a picture where the subject is leaning 90 degrees to the left.*

Failing that, I usually import the picture to the PC and use a bitmap program, like Windows Paint, to rotate and crop it, then save the result as jpg for uploading.

Some people say they use iPhones, and I don't know what photo editing apps are available, but some of you who know can reply below. iPhoto seems to be the default. As indicated in some of the literature, Photoshop may be overkill.

Some people have also asked how to upload photos to this site, and, again, if some of you (hey Garmon :D** ) have figured out how to do it directly from a phone, please elaborate below.

________

*I don't know if the phone's ability to rotate the image when you rotate the phone messes up how you save the image.

**Mentioned only because he appears to have professional quality photos.

I'm uploading from a phone, but dissing my pictures is not going to get you an answer from me!! :angry::P

Assuming a negative, and not helping MTRSP, either. :angry:

:angry: Ok I'll tell you, but it's easy I don't understand your problem. :P Aren't you attaching photos through the attachment system? (maybe you're not) Just do the same thing with the phone and know where your photos are to upload and that's it.

I feel like I'm gonna be the only one asking this...where exactly are you going with this?

Some people sounded like they needed help avoiding posting pictures on their side. (Another one was posted earlier today; but I see that it is in proper orientation now.) So, if you can give them advice, maybe they would have a better product.

Some people sounded like they needed help avoiding posting pictures on their side. (Another one was posted earlier today; but I see that it is in proper orientation now.) So, if you can give them advice, maybe they would have a better product.

I screen shotted it while it was rotated properly and reposted it. :)

One thing I noticed is that if I plug my phone in to my computer and pull the pictures from there, they don't have the rotate issue, but if I email the photos to myself so I don't have to get the cord and stuff, they rotate funny. I guess me being lazy isn't worth it.

I'm one of those smart phone uses and I upload mine directly from my phone by posting it as an attachment through one of my phone's web browsers. I use Chrome mostly since I don't really care for my phone's default broswer. :lol: When I'm home using my laptop, I plug my phone into the laptop with the USB cable and upload that way from the relevant file folder shown on my laptop screen that designates my phone's photo folder.

Now Garmon was complaining my files are too big and I would like to shrink the file sizes myself as there are a pain to upload. Is there an app that will take picture stills from a video segment? I have to do this with my home computer now and the program i'm using is making the bigger file sizes I'm assuming. I have some app on my phone called Androvid and when you want to cut a still all it does is give you the spinning I'm thinking about it message!!

One thing I noticed is that if I plug my phone in to my computer and pull the pictures from there, they don't have the rotate issue, but if I email the photos to myself so I don't have to get the cord and stuff, they rotate funny. I guess me being lazy isn't worth it.

Now Garmon was complaining my files are too big and I would like to shrink the file sizes myself as there are a pain to upload. Is there an app that will take picture stills from a video segment? I have to do this with my home computer now and the program i'm using is making the bigger file sizes I'm assuming. I have some app on my phone called Androvid and when you want to cut a still all it does is give you the spinning I'm thinking about it message!!

The two posts raise similar issues.

BusHunter could use MTRSP's suggestion of a screen shot. The problem with the screen shot technique is that you lose resolution. My suggestion of importing into a paint program and saving as jpg compresses the files, and the files are not as pixilated.

A Google search for stills from video indicates there are some programs, including free ones. Theoretically, it shouldn't be difficult because all a video is is a series of stills (just like flipping a sketch book). There is, of course, video editing software from the first of computer video (another search). Again, that might be overkill in this situation, but it might also include compression tools.

As for downloading from YouTube, my impression is that most of those videos come down as Shockwave, and hence one will get it with the compression used in that format. At least that's how they are played embedded in a browser.

An aside: HDTV is compressed using similar computer techniques, which explains why when you have a weak signal, a moving head gets pixilated, but the background remains fine.

This article might help explain that issue.

Here's my method of uploading photos and editing to make them look presentable and professional.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j3ybtugz40wzw17/2014-08-30%2011.20.16.mov?dl=0

I see the main difference between me and you is that when you're on this site, you're on the full computer site, not the mobile version. I'll just activate that to upload good shots like yours.

Technique #G757: Use full site version to upload photos... :P

• Upvote 1

This article might help explain that issue.

With the Windows discrepancy, it misses the obvious fix for photos of importing into Windows Paint, rotate,and save as jpg.

Here's my method of uploading photos and editing to make them look presentable and professional.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j3ybtugz40wzw17/2014-08-30%2011.20.16.mov?dl=0

• My super predictive powers certainly predicted who would know how to do it.
  • I'm also somewhat surprised that one can take a movie of what is on the iPhone. Now all you need is some video editing software to take out when Puffin didn't work.
  • It also reinforces that to upload to here, you still need to go to a browser, and thus it isn't any different than from a PC. Kevin, is an app possible?
  • Upvote 1

• It also reinforces that to upload to here, you still need to go to a browser, and thus it isn't any different than from a PC. Kevin, is an app possible?

The forum software vendor is working on an updated version that will bring feature parity to the mobile version of the forum. This will eliminate the need to switch to the full site to upload photos. Not sure of the timeframe, but hopefully by early next year. This won't be an actual installable app, but will at least eliminate the need to constantly pinch-and-zoom if you use the full site on a phone.
  • Upvote 1

With the Windows discrepancy, it misses the obvious fix for photos of importing into Windows Paint, rotate,and save as jpg.

• My super predictive powers certainly predicted who would know how to do it.
  • I'm also somewhat surprised that one can take a movie of what is on the iPhone. Now all you need is some video editing software to take out when Puffin didn't work.

Thanks. About the recording of me using my phone, there's no app for that. It is required for any idevice (iphone, ipod touch, and ipad) to be jailbroken in order to install "tweaks" onto them. The tweak I was using was "RecordMyScreen". Good point about the using a video software to take out the Puffin part but I was rushing to show the video on here before I went to my appointment earlier.

....Good point about the using a video software to take out the Puffin part but I was rushing to show the video on here before I went to my appointment earlier.

Just trying to give you a hard time. ;)

The "RecordMyScreen" looks neat.

• Upvote 1

FWIW, I usually can upload photos to Facebook and videos to YouTube from my Moto G (Android). I agree that it's better to have the phone in landscape as opposed to portrait, especially when uploading to YouTube. I'm not sure if the issues BusJack alluded to were specifically for iPhone or not, but that's been my experience.

Daily Herald also has these suggestions if you have pictures of naked buses on the Cloud (or just if you inadvertently activated cloud storage).

That's a slap in the face towards Apple for this bs. I'll stick with Dropbox and Windows OneDrive (formerly SkyDrive). Makes me wonder why the hell Yahoo, Goolge and Bing be on here and come to find out that when somebody search my username on all 3 search engines, it reveal most of my photos.

That's a slap in the face towards Apple for this bs. I'll stick with Dropbox and Windows OneDrive (formerly SkyDrive). Makes me wonder why the hell Yahoo, Goolge and Bing be on here and come to find out that when somebody search my username on all 3 search engines, it reveal most of my photos.

That was discussed starting here.

If you are posting on a public site, it will be indexed.

The issue with iCloud is that it and the other clouds (and bank sites and the like) are supposed to be private, only accessible by password. But, assuming that someone broke into iCloud and then published the pictures, the search engines then pick them up. As Jimmy Kimmel asked, did anyone search for "Jennifer Lawrence nude" under "images" on a search engine once the story broke? One doesn't know if the results were the hacked pictures or even fakes, but there were search results.

The question you have to ask yourself is whether you want to post your real name (and a picture of your daughter) on a public site.That's your business, but you will note that very few people use their real names here. Some cyberthug figured out enough identifying information about me to post it on the CTA Tattler, but otherwise I'm not putting my real name on a blog post (and this is one of the reasons I have nothing to do with Facebook).

• Upvote 2

You can always call yourself an assumed name or just call yourself "Red Line" The key is not to make personal pictures public.

BTW, I got an app for my phone that has an image stabilizer built in it along with an editing app. Maybe I can take some clearer pictures now, I'll try it out later.

• Upvote 1

That was discussed starting here.

If you are posting on a public site, it will be indexed.

The issue with iCloud is that it and the other clouds (and bank sites and the like) are supposed to be private, only accessible by password. But, assuming that someone broke into iCloud and then published the pictures, the search engines then pick them up. As Jimmy Kimmel asked, did anyone search for "Jennifer Lawrence nude" under "images" on a search engine once the story broke? One doesn't know if the results were the hacked pictures or even fakes, but there were search results.

The question you have to ask yourself is whether you want to post your real name (and a picture of your daughter) on a public site.That's your business, but you will note that very few people use their real names here. Some cyberthug figured out enough identifying information about me to post it on the CTA Tattler, but otherwise I'm not putting my real name on a blog post (and this is one of the reasons I have nothing to do with Facebook).

Ok, now I remember that post. Thanks. Under the circumstances of ramification with personal photos, I find it very disheartening and disconcerting for all that mess to be initiated by some idiot. Also, I wouldn't ever display my kids name if it ain't Facebook (thanks for your input about it). Did you do something about the idiot who unprecedentedly retrieved your information?