Return of the X, Rapid, BRT-Lite, Limited Stop Routes (was X9, X49) Thread

david vartanoff

4 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

We'll see, but it's premature to make that summation so far. We've only been through one rush that i was not looking at. Let's see if you can say 10-12 buses is all they have in a few days.

And I will gladly admit to be mistaken. But as of this morning. That's all that's actually been confirmed.

2 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

But that is for one sunday and this is by no way official yet.

Um no. That's counting Sunday and this morning. And 74th doesn't have as much a masked Sunday issue with spotting transfers because its routes that don't run on Sundays don't use that many buses to begin with.

Just now, jajuan said:

Um no. That's counting Sunday and this morning. And 74th doesn't have as much a masked Sunday issue with spotting transfers because its routes that don't run on Sundays don't use that many buses to begin with.

For example #1468 has miraculously just showed up on the #49 today, which you have just stated the new 74th bus count is 10-12 more confirmed and that's not changing. And what about #1424? Your telling me 74th took #1425 and #1423 from Chicago and didn't take #1424. Heck, Chicago probably gave them 10 buses!!

11 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

For example #1468 has miraculously just showed up on the #49 today, which you have just stated the new 74th bus count is 10-12 more confirmed and that's not changing. And what about #1424? Your telling me 74th took #1425 and #1423 from Chicago and didn't take #1424. Heck, Chicago probably gave them 10 buses!!

And those three (1424, 1425 and 1468) were not mentioned until now, were they? So they couldn't have been counted then. So now we can say it is about 15 CONFIRMED and not simply estimated since it would not be the first time buses got assogned out of sequence. But you said they would probably get 20-25. So it still means so far you overestimated. And it also doesn't change you saying they would use up to that many extras just for both X9 and X49 when it turns out to be confirmed by Busjack about 10 extra total used on those corridors. So don't celebrate just yet sir.

Edited by jajuan

2 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Finally an admission that you don't have the roster.

Where did I say that and why is it so important that i always have the roster. Let me remind you rosters make mistakes too. It's only as good as the person writing it. If they are in error, your roster is in error. It's just a guide really, as it's not concrete. It's actually better to see the buses first hand, at least you know it's right.

57 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Where did I say that and why is it so important that i always have the roster. Let me remind you rosters make mistakes too. It's only as good as the person writing it. If they are in error, your roster is in error. It's just a guide really, as it's not concrete. It's actually better to see the buses first hand, at least you know it's right.

Well, there was the secret cult of the roster, by roster I meant the one in the CTA computer (whch is the only actual roster) and the point I made either here or there was that the only proof on the streets was to stand at a stop for 3 hours and take down the run numbers. The supervisor version of BusTracker had that, but somehow the rest of us lost that ability I would guess 6 years ago.

24 minutes ago, Juniorz said:

Busjack yes

I guess what hit me as strange is that it didn't have a notation about Owl service between 95th/Red Line and North/Clark. But I guess with these being computer generated, CTA can afford to differentiate.

3 hours ago, Busjack said:

Speaking of strange is why they use Fremont in the X9 sign, when the only thing of interest to a prospective passenger is Sheridan/Red Line.

Interestingly enough the destination signs don't mention the read line. They display "X9 ASHLAND EXP" flip "X9 TO IRVING PARK/BROADWAY" (destination displayed across two lines). And looks like my guess over the weekend that X49 and 49 might be interlined was correct. Some Western Express buses are arriving at both terminals and leaving as local Western buses.

38 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Interestingly enough the destination signs don't mention the read line. They display "X9 ASHLAND EXP" flip "X9 TO IRVING PARK/BROADWAY" (destination displayed across two lines). And looks like my guess over the weekend that X49 and 49 might be interlined was correct. Some Western Express buses are arriving at both terminals and leaving as local Western buses.

That's the cheapest and fastest way of doing it, less equipment while being efficient.

1 hour ago, jajuan said:

Interestingly enough the destination signs don't mention the read line. They display "X9 ASHLAND EXP" flip "X9 TO IRVING PARK/BROADWAY"

At least that's somewhat understandable to a passenger, while Fremont is not, but I wonder if any boarding passenger is going to freak because the headsign doesn't match the bus stop sign.

The old ones had X9 ASHLAND EXPRESS/IRVING PARK/RED LINE, but technically there isn't a station by that name.

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

At least that's somewhat understandable to a passenger, while Fremont is not, but I wonder if any boarding passenger is going to freak because the headsign doesn't match the bus stop sign.

The old ones had X9 ASHLAND EXPRESS/IRVING PARK/RED LINE, but technically there isn't a station by that name.

True. At least they cleaned up that NB destination read this time around. I like how this time around the buses display the route number as black characters inside an orange box. It makes it easier to see from a distance if you have an express approaching you or a local.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jajuan said:

And looks like my guess over the weekend that X49 and 49 might be interlined was correct. Some Western Express buses are arriving at both terminals and leaving as local Western buses.

Which might resolve Garmon's question whether he has to update the run numbers pages,

23 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Which might resolve Garmon's question whether he has to update the run numbers pages,

Right if some express buses become local and vice versa, run numbers may not have changed much. 

34 minutes ago, garmon757 said:

Jajaun and BusHunter, both of y'all posts regarding the estimate of buses have been deleted. Please keep it civil and neutralize this in a respectful manner. Thanks. 

No worries. I was done with it. But in the future, any disagreements  with me that stray too far off topic should be brought to me directly through PM rather than across thread and vice versa from my end.

17 minutes ago, jajuan said:

No worries. I was done with it. But in the future, any disagreements  with me that stray too far off topic should be brought to me directly through PM rather than across thread and vice versa from my end.

That's perfectly understandable. The PM will always be your friend when needed. :)

On 12/20/2015 at 2:14 PM, jajuan said:

Can we at least let the express routes have their first day of service first before predicting their doom? Sheesh. From experience, a larger part of what slowed Ashland buses down was more having to stop at practically every freaking block than it was traffic slowdowns. That's suggested in the local routes stopping every two blocks now instead of every single standard block. I for one, am looking forward to the X9's return tomorrow morning and only have to worry about the bus needing to contend with service stops at every half mile instead of the prior one-eight mile between service stops. 

Relax!  Im just giving my opinion!  

5 hours ago, CTA5750 said:

Relax!  Im just giving my opinion!  

And I simply disagreed with you. I think that is still allowed on here so I'm quite relaxed thank you. All of us are free to express opinions, but none of us are free of having those opinions opposed.

At any rate, Garmon you don't have to change run numbers for X9. Those are in the same 60xx run blocks as the local buses. So it's probably a good guess that X49 run numbers are those of the locals too for both NP and 74th since it was observed yesterday that express buses on Western were becoming locals and vice versa.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jajuan said:

And I simply disagreed with you. I think that is still allowed on here so I'm quite relaxed thank you. All of us are free to express opinions, but none of us are free of having those opinions opposed.

At any rate, Garmon you don't have to change run numbers for X9. Those are in the same 60xx run blocks as the local buses. So it's probably a good guess that X49 run numbers are those of the locals too for both NP and 74th since it was observed yesterday that express buses on Western were becoming locals and vice versa.

Thanks for the heads up!