Return of the X, Rapid, BRT-Lite, Limited Stop Routes (was X9, X49) Thread

david vartanoff

21 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Unlike X9, X49 doesn't have garage pullins or pullouts shown on the schedule.

For the reason stated. It certainly isn't the situation like the old X49 when trips after about 7:00 p.m from both directions ended at Archer

57 minutes ago, Busjack said:

For the reason stated. It certainly isn't the situation like the old X49 when trips after about 7:00 p.m from both directions ended at Archer

True. So like I said I agree that both garages sharing the local can very likely share the express. The precedent is already there for express version of a route to come from the same garage(s) as the local.

3 hours ago, Busjack said:

You confused it with 9 Ashland. 49 and X49 only go to 79th, and the Berwyn terminal is as close to NP as the 79th terminal is to 74th.

Well, I was thinking of the original X49 when it came out years ago. It went all the way to 95th/Evergreen Plaza. I believe they were talking about bringing Evergreen Plaza(or The Plaza as they called it before it closed) back in 2016 or 2017. At that time, the X49 will probably be extended.

5 hours ago, jajuan said:

Well on Ashland I noticed this morning that SB side signs are updated to show X9. NB hasn't been done yet. They're shared signs with 9 and X9 on one sign instead of separate signs on one pole as they had when X9 existed the first time around. And most stops on the stretch of Ashland I rode are already far side at the locations stops that will still exist for either route. They're only a few spots that they need to worry about changing to far side. Cortland of course can't be far side because of the expressway and METRA tracks crossing overhead. 

Yeah, I saw that myself at Division/Ashland. Western so far doesn't have any signs around Western/Milwaukee. I haven't really seen any stops shifted to the far side. Everything looks pretty normal, but they have put the yellow plastic signs on Western, some saying this stop will be eliminated like at Milwaukee sb and others like Milwaukee Nb with #X49 coming soon signs.

10 hours ago, sw4400 said:

Well, I was thinking of the original X49 when it came out years ago. It went all the way to 95th/Evergreen Plaza. I believe they were talking about bringing Evergreen Plaza(or The Plaza as they called it before it closed) back in 2016 or 2017. At that time, the X49 will probably be extended.

Only thing that was indicated was an erroneous sign on a bus at the press conference. That's clearly Pace territory now, and if the 95W bus can't turn around there, this won't be able to, either. Also, whatever is being built there won't attract bus passengers.

In any event, the north terminal is at 5300 N. and the NP garage is at 5200 N.

21 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah, I saw that myself at Division/Ashland. Western so far doesn't have any signs around Western/Milwaukee. I haven't really seen any stops shifted to the far side. Everything looks pretty normal, but they have put the yellow plastic signs on Western, some saying this stop will be eliminated like at Milwaukee sb and others like Milwaukee Nb with #X49 coming soon signs.

They started on the NB side of Ashland with updated bus stop signs now that it seems that the SB side is done. As of about 3 o'clock earlier this afternoon they made it up to Taylor Street. All the signs north of that are still those for the local route. But both sides have had yellow notices up since Monday with the relevant info about whether the express stops there, whether the stop is eliminated or if it's a local only stop that's being kept.

Correction to my last post. Local stops that have nothing changing as far as the discussed express route added or the stop being eliminated don't have notices up. 

And the NB side of Ashland appears to also be completed with updated local/express bus stop signs. They must have worked overnight and/or early this morning since last night they were still only up to Taylor.

It also just occurred to me that Ashland/Congress is being eliminated and 126 shares those stops on evenings and weekends/holidays and Western/70th is being eliminated and the 67 and 94 share those. So the question is does that mean those stops are eliminated for the shared routes too?

Sorry, but with the increase in traffic congestion all over this city  I dont see this service to be beneficial. The buses need their own dedicated lanes which the city wont build and the streets arent wide enough for them. According to CTA, bus ridership is decreasing because of the slow service. CTA bus speeds are only average 3-6mph because theyre continuously stuck in traffic. The epress service would only work if the buses had right of ways. But theyre going to be stuck in traffic alongside the local buses. 

55 minutes ago, CTA5750 said:

Sorry, but with the increase in traffic congestion all over this city  I dont see this service to be beneficial. The buses need their own dedicated lanes which the city wont build and the streets arent wide enough for them. According to CTA, bus ridership is decreasing because of the slow service. CTA bus speeds are only average 3-6mph because theyre continuously stuck in traffic. The epress service would only work if the buses had right of ways. But theyre going to be stuck in traffic alongside the local buses. 

Can we at least let the express routes have their first day of service first before predicting their doom? Sheesh. From experience, a larger part of what slowed Ashland buses down was more having to stop at practically every freaking block than it was traffic slowdowns. That's suggested in the local routes stopping every two blocks now instead of every single standard block. I for one, am looking forward to the X9's return tomorrow morning and only have to worry about the bus needing to contend with service stops at every half mile instead of the prior one-eight mile between service stops. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, CTA5750 said:

The buses need their own dedicated lanes which the city wont build and the streets arent wide enough for them. According to CTA, bus ridership is decreasing because of the slow service

Aside from jajuan said, Ashland is at least 4 lanes each way, and Western usually is 6. Aside from them not implementing the plan of choking Ashland to 2 and banning left turns between 95th and Irving Park, let's see if the bus lane works on Washington tomorrow.

On 12/16/2015 at 8:54 AM, Busjack said:

Anyway, as of this snapshot,we get 30 on 49 and 31 on 9.

Updating about the same time:

49 SB: 6:

56780c077bd07_49SB.thumb.jpg.7db89bbdef1

49 NB: 6:56780c2f70c0a_49NB.thumb.jpg.93c91d9ad7a

X49 SB: 13

56780c55674e7_X49SB.thumb.jpg.74fb8fcc46

X49 NB: 9:

56780c88b22a4_X49NB.thumb.jpg.f8a7f06e21

9 SB: 4

56780cb5bf432_9to104.thumb.jpg.fef5e5aaf

9 NB 8:

56780ce51ff36_9NB.thumb.jpg.7c0f97c60686

X9 SB 12:

56780d07a23c3_X9to95th.thumb.jpg.7443509

X9 NB:11

56780d6b93958_X9NB.thumb.png.9334788dce3

Totals: Western 34, Ashland 35

Growth due to X at 8:15 a.m.: Western 4, Ashland 4.

So, BusHunter's latest estimate of about 10 is approximately correct.

I'll leave it to the More Bus Moves folk to figure out how many on X49 are NP buses.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

Updating about the same time:

49 SB: 6:

56780c077bd07_49SB.thumb.jpg.7db89bbdef1

49 NB: 6:56780c2f70c0a_49NB.thumb.jpg.93c91d9ad7a

X49 SB: 13

56780c55674e7_X49SB.thumb.jpg.74fb8fcc46

X49 NB: 9:

56780c88b22a4_X49NB.thumb.jpg.f8a7f06e21

9 SB: 4

56780cb5bf432_9to104.thumb.jpg.fef5e5aaf

9 NB 8:

56780ce51ff36_9NB.thumb.jpg.7c0f97c60686

X9 SB 12:

56780d07a23c3_X9to95th.thumb.jpg.7443509

X9 NB:11

56780d6b93958_X9NB.thumb.png.9334788dce3

Totals: Western 34, Ashland 35

Growth due to X at 8:15 a.m.: Western 4, Ashland 4.

So, BusHunter's latest estimate of about 10 is approximately correct.

I'll leave it to the More Bus Moves folk to figure out how many on X49 are NP buses.

I spotted a good 8 of those X49 buses in your snapshot as being NP. And actually I think BH was predicting 10 extra per route looking back at his prior posts of the last few days. So he actually overestimated by double.

9 minutes ago, jajuan said:

I spotted a good 8 of those X49 buses in your snapshot as being NP. And actually I think BH was predicting 10 extra per route looking back at his prior posts of the last few days. So he actually overestimated by double.

Well then explain why 74th is 15 buses richer, probably 20-25.

Just now, jajuan said:

You double counted a few that were already there as Garmon pointed so the count confirmed is closer to 10-12, which means you overestimated. 

Yeah but your looking at a Sunday schedule which uses a quarter of a weekday rush's standard equipment, so 10-12 buses is not all the buses. They'll be more today.

1 minute ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah but your looking at a Sunday schedule which uses a quarter of a weekday rush's standard equipment, so 10-12 buses is not all the buses. They'll be more today.

No, at least I looked at 8:15 Monday.

I also said that the X49 timetable indicated that 22 buses were needed. What did I get this morning? 22.

20 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

14 minutes ago, Busjack said:

No, at least I looked at 8:15 Monday.

I also said that the X49 timetable indicated that 22 buses were needed. What did I get this morning? 22.

So still looks like you overestimated BH. You were counting in 74th possibly doing X49, but NP is sharing that one just like it does with local Western route. 7 (not 8 as Garmon caught my goof with 1859) in Busjack's snapshot were NP. And Andre backs up that observation with his mention that about a third of the X49s were NP. I noticed by the way 74th put a good chunk of new Novas on both express routes.