Announcement question

2400seriesrock

There's a destination code in the 5000-series for Blue to 54th, but I'm not sure if it has announcements tied to it or not. The signs and class lights work.

One announcement that's used daily that most people don't hear is "This is a Brown Line train to downtown and Midway". There are only a few trains every day out of the hundreds of runs that use that actually go to Midway and use that announcement.

• Upvote 2

There's a destination code in the 5000-series for Blue to 54th, but I'm not sure if it has announcements tied to it or not. The signs and class lights work.

One announcement that's used daily that most people don't hear is "This is a Brown Line train to downtown and Midway". There are only a few trains every day out of the hundreds of runs that use that actually go to Midway and use that announcement.

yea but I think the 2600 series might have it because trains got Announcements in 2000-01 and the Blue line ran weekdays to 54/Cermak till 2008   

Edited by 2400seriesrock

yea but I think the 2600 series might have it because trains got Announcements in 2000-01 and the Blue line ran weekdays to 54/Cermak till 2008   

They would have to, because the Pink Line didn't even exist until 2006, so the Blue Line would run its 2600s to 54th every day with those announcements until the Pink Line was created.

• Upvote 2

Aren't the announcements based on run number rather than destination sign setting? The run numbers formerly used for Blue to 54/Cermak were reused on the Pink when it opened, according to chicago-l.org. That would have required reprogramming, so I would conclude that it is now impossible to hear "This is a Blue Line train to 54/Cermak".

Aren't the announcements based on run number rather than destination sign setting? The run numbers formerly used for Blue to 54/Cermak were reused on the Pink when it opened, according to chicago-l.org. That would have required reprogramming, so I would conclude that it is now impossible to hear "This is a Blue Line train to 54/Cermak".

Yes, but on the 5000s, the destination sign and class lights are set according to the run number, so in theory, there would still be programming for it. Similar to how some Orange Line run numbers actually include Kimball - Library as "Brown Line train to Midway"

• Upvote 3

They were the first cars to run the Pink Line, so the would have been reprogrammed just like the 2600s.

so it sounds like since they were reprogrammed so they are gone now? but it would be cool to here "This is a Blue Line train to 54/Cermak" or " This is a Blue Line train to Downtown and 54/Cermak.

Edited by 2400seriesrock

so it sounds like since they were reprogrammed so they are gone now? but it would be cool to here "This is a Blue Line train to 54/Cermak" or " This is a Blue Line train to Downtown and 54/Cermak.

They're probably still there if the destination signs are. I'd have to find a driver who'd be willing to log into a Blue 54th/Cermak run and film it.

• Upvote 2

They're probably still there if the destination signs are. I'd have to find a driver who'd be willing to log into a Blue 54th/Cermak run and film it.

sounds good and I think there is a 50% chance they might be there. But the 54/Cermak bound Blue line was in the 300 run numbers but now its the Pink line.

They would have to, because the Pink Line didn't even exist until 2006, so the Blue Line would run its 2600s to 54th every day with those announcements until the Pink Line was created.

Between 2006 and 2008 the Pink Line ran in conjunction with the Douglas Blue, although Douglas Blue was rush hour only at that point.

Is there a announcement system for the Blue Line to 54/Cermak? and are there anymore rare or unused announcement?

I'm not sure if the CTA still has the files, but there was most likely an announcement for Hoyne before it got changed to Damen. Same goes for Kildare before the station was renamed Kostner., I wouldn't be surprised if 58th (which also had its own destination sign for a bit) had an announcement as well. Also Washington on the Red Line is technically an unused announcement at this point, as is Madison/Wabash.

I'm not sure if the CTA still has the files, but there was most likely an announcement for Hoyne before it got changed to Damen. Same goes for Kildare before the station was renamed Kostner., I wouldn't be surprised if 58th (which also had its own destination sign for a bit) had an announcement as well. Also Washington on the Red Line is technically an unused announcement at this point, as is Madison/Wabash.

well if 58th had a destination sign it might but it was closed in 1994 and announcements were put on trains in the early 2000s.

Between 2006 and 2008 the Pink Line ran in conjunction with the Douglas Blue, although Douglas Blue was rush hour only at that point.

The question then becomes whether the run numbers for said "Douglas Blue" runs have been used on the Pink line since 2008. If not, it's probably still possible to log in to a "Douglas Blue" run.

The Blue Line continued to 54th/Cermak even after the Pink Line started service, but you are correct. See below:

The question I want to know is if each line announced a transfer to the other line at Polk when both lines were running, like how some runs announce transfers to Purple Line Express trains during rush hour.

The Blue Line continued to 54th/Cermak even after the Pink Line started service, but you are correct. See below:

The question I want to know is if each line announced a transfer to the other line at Polk when both lines were running, like how some runs announce transfers to Purple Line Express trains during rush hour.

yes at Polk the Pink Line use to say "This is Polk, transfer to Blue Line trains to Downtown and O'Hare at Polk, This is a Pink Line train to the Loop" but I never heard the Blue Line one. Also found a video of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl2rz4jrKdk

Edited by 2400seriesrock
  • Upvote 3

yes at Polk the Pink Line use to say "This is Polk, transfer to Blue Line trains to Downtown and O'Hare" but I never heard the Blue Line one.

Thanks. I've only ridden the Blue Line on the Douglas Branch before the Pink Line was created, and I've never ridden a normal Pink Line train, so I guess the Blue Line announcement will remain a mystery.

• Upvote 1

Thanks. I've only ridden the Blue Line on the Douglas Branch before the Pink Line was created, and I've never ridden a normal Pink Line train, so I guess the Blue Line announcement will remain a mystery.

Your Welcome, I think there is one and it would say "This is Polk, Transfer to Pink Line trains at Polk"

Edited by 2400seriesrock

Yeah, the 5000s are very different when it comes to the announcement system. In previous cars, announcements and the signs were completely separate, and they were isolated from the propulsion controls. On the 5000s, you must log into a run and set the number to enable the propulsion system, and then it sets the announcements and signs for you.

Different systems use different formats, so they probably had to convert all the previous announcement files to some other format for the 5000s.

Edited by briman94
  • Upvote 3

I believe a few years back, when the Blue Line still ran to 54th/Cermak, I heard the announcement. It said, "This is a Blue Line Train to Downtown, and 54th and Cermak". Then when it got to Racine, it said "This is Racine, transfer to Blue Line Trains to Forest Park at Racine. This is a Blue Line Train to 54th and Cermak."