Announcement question

2400seriesrock

I believe a few years back, when the Blue Line still ran to 54th/Cermak, I heard the announcement. It said, "This is a Blue Line Train to Downtown, and 54th and Cermak". Then when it got to Racine, it said "This is Racine, transfer to Blue Line Trains to Forest Park at Racine. This is a Blue Line Train to 54th and Cermak."

nice! as of today the only time you could here "Transfer to Blue Line trains to Forest Park" is when your in a rush hour UIC-Halsted bound train  

Last Friday I boarded a Blue Line train at Jackson.  Both marker lights were GREEN.  The destination signs for all 8 cars read "54/Cermak."   However, all the audio announcements said "This is a Blue Line train to Forest Park.:

BTW, green marker lights used to indicate a 54/Cermak  Douglas train or B trains (not only on the Douglas- Milwaukee {O'HARE} but the Jackson Park Howard as well).

Last Friday I boarded a Blue Line train at Jackson.  Both marker lights were GREEN.  The destination signs for all 8 cars read "54/Cermak."   However, all the audio announcements said "This is a Blue Line train to Forest Park.:

BTW, green marker lights used to indicate a 54/Cermak  Douglas train or B trains (not only on the Douglas- Milwaukee {O'HARE} but the Jackson Park Howard as well).

wow this means the file has been replaced.

Did you take any pictures? I would love to see the 54th/Cermak bound signs and hear the blue 54th/Cermak announcements again! Is it possible to take the announcement "This is a Blue Line Train to..." and merge it with the "54th/Cermak" announcement on an editing site?

• Upvote 2

wow this means the file has been replaced.

I don't think so; based on briman's responses in this thread that would only be true on a 5000-series, which of course aren't on the Blue line. The operator of the train artthouwill was on just had the destination signs on the wrong setting, since the announcements on the older cars are based on run number.

I don't think so; based on briman's responses in this thread that would only be true on a 5000-series, which of course aren't on the Blue line. The operator of the train artthouwill was on just had the destination signs on the wrong setting, since the announcements on the older cars are based on run number.

But, as I noted earlier, you don't know if the file has been cleaned up in the past 7 years.

But, as I noted earlier, you don't know if the file has been cleaned up in the past 7 years.

True, we don't know if the file has or hasn't been replaced. I just meant that a 2600-series train with 54/Cermak signs but not the corresponding announcements doesn't prove that it has been.

Ahh dang, I'll fix it now.

Edit: I think it's fixed.

Yes, the link works now.

In your hypothetical announcement, you can hear where the two sound bits were spliced together, whereas the real announcements sound like a continuous voice. That got me wondering whether that is how the real announcements were made. Did Mr. CTA have to record "This is a Blue line train to O'Hare", "This is a Red line train to Howard", etc. all separately, or are they combinations of sound files, as in "This is a / Blue / line train to / O'Hare". If the latter is the case, someone sure did a good job combining the sound files, which makes me think the former to be true.

Yes, the link works now.

In your hypothetical announcement, you can hear where the two sound bits were spliced together, whereas the real announcements sound like a continuous voice. That got me wondering whether that is how the real announcements were made. Did Mr. CTA have to record "This is a Blue line train to O'Hare", "This is a Red line train to Howard", etc. all separately, or are they combinations of sound files, as in "This is a / Blue / line train to / O'Hare". If the latter is the case, someone sure did a good job combining the sound files, which makes me think the former to be true.

I know it sounds like they were edited, it just gave us an idea of what it would sound like. I tried, that's all I can say.

Yes, the link works now.

Usually the latter. There were prior comments on RIGHT missing on "Doors open on the right at..." Maybe some phrases are recorded intact.

There was previously posted a link to DNAInfo of a video of Lee Crooks imitating himself. Note that while the impression consists of complete sentences, it is more staccato than the recordings.

It is more obvious that the Metra ones are pieced together, especially "Now approaching North Brook."

Usually the latter. There were prior comments on RIGHT missing on "Doors open on the right at..." Maybe some phrases are recorded intact.

There was previously posted a link to DNAInfo of a video of Lee Crooks imitating himself. Note that while the impression consists of complete sentences, it is more staccato than the recordings.

It is more obvious that the Metra ones are pieced together, especially "Now approaching North Brook."

The "doors open on the left/right at (station)" were what made me think they were picked together, since you can hear a slight pause after "left/right".

Since you bring up Metra announcements, my favorite was the station name 35th Street - Lou Jones recorded with a male voice, but the rest of the announcement was a female voice. They've since replaced those.

I believe a few years back, when the Blue Line still ran to 54th/Cermak, I heard the announcement. It said, "This is a Blue Line Train to Downtown, and 54th and Cermak". Then when it got to Racine, it said "This is Racine, transfer to Blue Line Trains to Forest Park at Racine. This is a Blue Line Train to 54th and Cermak."

You're correct. It's similar to the Blue Line announcement to Downtown and Forest Park. The Racine transfer announcement also applied to Forest Park trains too, only they said a transfer is available to 54th/Cermak trains.

• Upvote 2