Addison/Blue line Rendering

BusHunter

Well I found out tonight why they had a press conference the other day at Addison/Blue line. They have a poster up on the first glass panel next to the Ventra and ATM machines saying they will be starting construction in November on Addison/Blue line to put in it's elevator. It says on the poster more info can be found on the your new blue page. So far nothing is on that page. (hint hint CTA webmaster :P) I might have to actually go down there and take a picture of the poster. Until then, at least I'll describe the rendering cause there is a rendering on the poster. What they intend to do is take out the existing stairway and put an elevator there. Then you know that glass panel if you go all the way to the end of the mezzanine? The second one from the left gets blown out and a new stairway will go in there and extend the mezzanine, it looks like 50-100 feet. It looks like the station stopping berth will get pushed back 100 feet, I don't know if that will result in a 100 foot station extension or not. (The rendering only shows the mezzanine part) Anyway they say closures will be on selected weekends only. (surprising) And for a bit of humor they throw in what looks like a #3200 series train, it doesn't have the led destinations, but it has the silver corrugated sides. It has green class lights like it was a green line train, but when were #3200's on the green to take that picture. It has to be photoshopped. It's a cool picture. They are claiming on the sign that the project will be completed by fall 2016. Maybe they made the decision to start the project since the Cubs were wiped out this week.

• Upvote 2

A link here from FH Paschen, the contractor that will be working on the station says yes there will be a platform extension. They have some drawings on there but I can't seem to access them. (my internet is kind of slow where I'm at now)

http://www.jbconstructionco.com/illinois/fh-paschen-cta-blue-line-addison-platform-extension/

Other than the platform extension, it doesn't sound much different from what was done at several Red Line south stations, or, for that matter, what was done at the Logan Square station. The holdup at Irving Park undoubtedly is the need to dig into the embankment at  both the Irving Park and Pulaski ends. I suppose that Montrose could be done in the same manner as Addison, if they cared.

Other than the platform extension, it doesn't sound much different from what was done at several Red Line south stations, or, for that matter, what was done at the Logan Square station. The holdup at Irving Park undoubtedly is the need to dig into the embankment at  both the Irving Park and Pulaski ends. I suppose that Montrose could be done in the same manner as Addison, if they cared.

They really need to do Belmont. Too bad I wasn't at the Addison press conference, I would have asked them why Addison/Blue doesn't have any bustracker signs yet, they seem to be everywhere but there. Some are in silly locations like belmont/blue has one facing the sw and north. Putting one sign over the stairwell would have been sufficient. The Brown line's Western stop has the best placed one I've seen, inside the building facing the waiting #49B and #11 riders. Still I don't know what a SB #49 rider uses.

I was reading the budget last night and found out btw, they only plan to put Bustracker signs at 70 of the 146 stations!! I was like wth. Now I understand a stop like Francisco/Brown or Kostner/Pink or even Morgan/Green/Pink but no way are half the stops without a bus line. Maybe they are subtracting a few signs like the whole north side main practically has Titan signs that do that. I guess we will see what happens. They also said they plan to add signs in up to 340 shelters. Is that all the shelters, that sounds like alot of shelters.

• 3 weeks later...

Passed by Addison/blue line tonight. they have a crew of construction workers over there tonight. It looks like a supervisor and his crew. They have stationed a trailer at Avondale/Addison. I thought it might be Citgo's trailer because he's doing an expansion also, but tonight it's confirmed to belong to the blue line construction crew.  They had moved the wb bus stop out further east to start the week off, then I saw WGN news doing a live shot over the bridge on Weds, i believe. Plus they have a bunch of construction horses on the addison bridge. So it's been a flurry of activity this week.

The crews were out again tonight at Addison/blue. This time they have installed a wooden wall in the last 5-10 feet of the Addison platform on the north end. The first step must be to extend the platform. Gee I hope the train doesn't accidently stop in the closed section or someone's going to get more than they bargained for!! xD

The crews were out again tonight at Addison/blue. This time they have installed a wooden wall in the last 5-10 feet of the Addison platform on the north end. The first step must be to extend the platform. Gee I hope the train doesn't accidently stop in the closed section or someone's going to get more than they bargained for!! xD

I just went passed there about 40 minutes ago and not to worry; it didn't! :D

• 1 month later...

I was looking at the extended platform yesterday and today. They seem to have the platform extension structure already built, they seem to be just needing the stone platform flooring and it's done. I was noticing today, they seem to have built the canopy also, so it might actually open soon. The whole station is supposed to be done by next fall.

On December 22, 2015 at 10:58 PM, BusHunter said:

I was looking at the extended platform yesterday and today. They seem to have the platform extension structure already built, they seem to be just needing the stone platform flooring and it's done. I was noticing today, they seem to have built the canopy also, so it might actually open soon. The whole station is supposed to be done by next fall.

If you forgot that they have to also install the elevator for the station as well.

• 2 months later...

They have an alert out for the weekend of 3/4 to 3/7/16 that Addison/Blue line is going to be closed for construction. Maybe they are trying to beat the beginning of the Cubs season!!

"Go Cubs Go, Go Cubs Go Hey Chicago what do you say, Addison Blue line's going to be closed today" xD:P

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

They have an alert out for the weekend of 3/4 to 3/7/16 that Addison/Blue line is going to be closed for construction. Maybe they are trying to beat the beginning of the Cubs season!!

"Go Cubs Go, Go Cubs Go Hey Chicago what do you say, Addison Blue line's going to be closed today" xD:P

The weather is better now, you can't move cold dirt around and the ground is now feasible to move earth around.

17 minutes ago, Juniorz said:

The weather is better now, you can't move cold dirt around and the ground is now feasible to move earth around.

I think maybe they might be putting IN the staircase that weekend. It seems strange to close a linStationse for a platform extension. 

Just now, BusHunter said:

I think maybe they might be putting IN the staircase that weekend. It seems strange to close a linStationse for a platform extension. 

the cta did notice the public that numerous station closures would occur.. Since baseball season is coming, i'm sure they won't do game day closures and will work around the cubs season.

Oh yeah unless they want to run artics on the #80!! They can't disturb the existing staircase at addison until there is another one so the elevator is the third part of the project. Probably they will be cutting the canopy and so forth. A couple weeks. They had a bunch of engineers there this week and last week they ran an electrical light string along the platform like they will be messing with the electric. Probably to connect the extension up with the existing electric and possibly beef up the electric. The elevator needs more power so there will be more electrical demand for the station.

The contractors were out in full force at addison blue today. They were cutting sheets of wood to enclose the escalator. Plus they look like they have put the finishing touches on the platform end. It looks new down there. I can only wish the rest of the platform looks so fresh upon completion. I think they will be pushing the stopping berth back after the 7th to use the new platform and start cutting the existing canopy for the station house extension. 

18 hours ago, Juniorz said:

Just a sound reminder!

IMG_7326.JPG

Also, get ready for the Your New Blue "Back-ride"! http://www.transitchicago.com/yournewblue/ was recently updated to reflect these service changes, which will include numerous station entrance closures, temporary station closures to Addison and Montrose, track work and the NEW! "YNB Back-ride"!

I didn't understand what they mean't by "back riding" but now I get it. So they intend to close half of a platform work on that half and proceed to the other side. I thought they were single tracking, but no they will continue to run on the same sides. Ingenious, if it works out. I wonder if something like that could have been done for Dan Ryan's rehab, but inevitably as they do more of these types of projects the planning gets smarter. I would put priority at Addison though because Cubs season is upon us, but I suppose they could do the construction while they're on the road, but do they have 3 week road trips?

I saw the finished wood project at the Addison station house last night, it looked like they were going to close the escalator, but what they did was just surrounding it in wooden wall protection even putting orange netting over it. If i get over there today, I'll take us a picture. Only one thing, I remember they had bike racks back there and now the whole area between the escalator and north windows is cut off. I wonder how does someone retrieve their bike? Maybe it's temporary property of the CTA cave!! :P

13 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I didn't understand what they mean't by "back riding" but now I get it. So they intend to close half of a platform work on that half and proceed to the other side. I thought they were single tracking, but no they will continue to run on the same sides.

Nothing new about that. When they were doing some work on the last Red Line north project, there were advisories to take a NB train to Howard and then go southbound.

Since the whole bed of the south Red Line was dug up, no way they could have single tracked that, at least if you go along with the propaganda of the time that it would have added 4 years to the project.

25 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Nothing new about that. When they were doing some work on the last Red Line north project, there were advisories to take a NB train to Howard and then go southbound.

Since the whole bed of the south Red Line was dug up, no way they could have single tracked that, at least if you go along with the propaganda of the time that it would have added 4 years to the project.

Yeah but they had 4 tracks to work with too. They don't have that here. I guess we can compare this to Sheridan/Red which is being worked on a little, but because they can't close entire platforms the repairs are limited. Like a few feet of wood instead of planks of it repaired. The end result there might look like Raggedy Ann with lots of patchwork. I guess the expressway platforms could be repaired better though because the stations canopy is divided and the platforms could be broke up in sections and be repaired and it would look uniform cause it's concrete, if they intend to follow suit with the look of the Ryan stations. Some of the platforms are buckled, I don't know if this is like a resurfacing project or are they tearing out the platform? But what they did with the Ryan is acceptable. 

Speaking of weak wood, the Randolph/Wabash station has wood that goes up and down like it's warped and it's starting to lose it's pliability like maybe the water is penetrating the wood. Good thing it's coming down soon. The Washington/Wabash station construction seems really slow though, they seem to be working endlessly under the street. I don't know how that's going to get done by 2017 unless it's the end of it.

The worst stairs on the whole system has to be Wilson exit at Wilson/Red line, they are all uneven missing stair risers and looked to be in a crumbling state. They look like their from a third world country. :P

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah but they had 4 tracks to work with too. They don't have that here. I guess we can compare this to Sheridan/Red which is being worked on a little, but because they can't close entire platforms the repairs are limited. Like a few feet of wood instead of planks of it repaired. The end result there might look like Raggedy Ann with lots of patchwork. I guess the expressway platforms could be repaired better though because the stations canopy is divided and the platforms could be broke up in sections and be repaired and it would look uniform cause it's concrete, if they intend to follow suit with the look of the Ryan stations. Some of the platforms are buckled, I don't know if this is like a resurfacing project or are they tearing out the platform? But what they did with the Ryan is acceptable. 

Speaking of weak wood, the Randolph/Wabash station has wood that goes up and down like it's warped and it's starting to lose it's pliability like maybe the water is penetrating the wood. Good thing it's coming down soon. The Washington/Wabash station construction seems really slow though, they seem to be working endlessly under the street. I don't know how that's going to get done by 2017 unless it's the end of it.

The worst stairs on the whole system has to be Wilson exit at Wilson/Red line, they are all uneven missing stair risers and looked to be in a crumbling state. They look like their from a third world country. :P

Please remember, that most phases of construction projects, such as structural work, can't be done during the winter due to sub-zero temperatures. We should see major development with the Washington/Wabash station by the beginning of Summer.

• Upvote 1