Addison/Blue line Rendering

BusHunter

8 hours ago, BusHunter said:

I saw the finished wood project at the Addison station house last night, it looked like they were going to close the escalator, but what they did was just surrounding it in wooden wall protection even putting orange netting over it. If i get over there today, I'll take us a picture. Only one thing, I remember they had bike racks back there and now the whole area between the escalator and north windows is cut off. I wonder how does someone retrieve their bike? Maybe it's temporary property of the CTA cave!! :P

Here's a picture of the CTA cave. You know if they put purple or black netting and put some spooky lights they would have a creepy halloween spook house there.

56da4e7fceb98_thegreatboardupataddisonbl

Today they had guys with those survey tripods on the platform and someone was marking up the platform with orange paint. (Probably where they'll be cutting.) They turned off the heat lamps. (Darn) and they were working on the electrical again. They had flagman protection both ways.

• Upvote 3

Today they were cutting out the canopy, half of it was gone where the new stairs are going. They tore out the wooden wall for the platform end, so I assuming it will be usable on the 7th. The canopy seems to be missing a little glass there, at the platform end.  Wouldn't it be something if they used the glass from the tear out? Probably not though. Maybe tomorrow if I have time I'll take a shot over there. It was getting dark today and they only have the work lights on, platform lights were out.

22 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Today they were cutting out the canopy, half of it was gone where the new stairs are going. They tore out the wooden wall for the platform end, so I assuming it will be usable on the 7th. The canopy seems to be missing a little glass there, at the platform end.  Wouldn't it be something if they used the glass from the tear out? Probably not though. Maybe tomorrow if I have time I'll take a shot over there. It was getting dark today and they only have the work lights on, platform lights were out.

Here's some shots of Addison. Call it a sneak preview!! :P Now i only have one thing to say about the first shot. Did they know it was going to rain this week? o.O The escalator's outside!! xD

56dcfade0fb18_addisonsneakpreview13-6-16

You can see in the second shot the great wall of Addison is down. Gorbachov tear down this wall!! xD Only thing is they didn't finish the canopy, so bring your umbrella's, cause you might get wet!!

56dcfae2c6be0_addisonsneakpreview3-6-16.

The third shot is me lifting my camera up high above the fence doing my Kareem impression. I was thinking whatever you do don't drop the phone!! :P

56dcfad9015b0_addisonsneakpreview33-6-16

• Upvote 3

Well I guess the construction workers watched Tom Skilling, because now the escalator has a roof!! :P

56de66db1e5db_addisonroof3-7-16.thumb.PN

They cut out the glass on the stationhouse (Hey if you line up the two photos you can almost see the whole thing)

56de66df02397_addisonleapoffaith3-7-16.t56de66db1e5db_addisonroof3-7-16.thumb.PN

here's the end of the addison platform. Look's rather good!! (my compliments) Now if the whole platform floor looks like that, this will be pretty nice.

56de66e436087_addisonend3-7-16.thumb.PNG

The stopping berth was pushed up 40 feet, the train stopped behind me when I took the first two shots.

• Upvote 2

Kind of dark there at night, they put spotlights where the canopy was cut. That's new. I guess they don't want nobody falling. They got public information signs now plastered all over the station and the system saying they will be closing the sb side Mar 15th to Apr 4th, so it's time to back ride. There's a CTA alert up too online. Those signs I filmed and Juniorz filmed too have been taken down in the stationhouse and they put up new ones. Now they talk about all the improvements at Cumberland, Harlem, Montrose, irving Pk and addison. They explain what back riding was, good cause I didn't know when I first heard it.

#152 has been a wreck this week, they still have this Oak Park detour, they say it was going to be over on the 5th. Now this week they have Belmont closed EB at Springfield and all the Belmont traffic is going on Addison east of pulaski, it takes 20-25 minutes pulaski to blue line, no $hit. On Friday I got off at pulaski took Pulaski to the blue caught a blue I had to wait for, cause I just missed it and still made it to addison when the tracker said the #152 I was on was at Hamlin!! :P What a laugh!! From out here in Dunning a trip to downtown takes about an hour, now it's like 1:40 and they are talking back riding on the 15th. It's got to be like 2 hours, I might have to start using the #90. It can get you to Addison five minutes later than an Addison bus if the #152 is running normally, now it should beat it by 35 minutes. Plus you don't have to back ride a savings of possibly 45-50 minutes. Grrr!!

One more thing, This is really affecting the buses. Yesterday there was no west service at all. I looked there was 3 pack at Western and suddenly #6862 shows up at blue line on the tracker. I think they short turned him cause they actually had all the buses at the east end and nothing out west. If so that's a 4 pack. This was around 7PM

Maybe if I'm in the stationhouse tomorrow I'll take shots of the new signs. I was too tired/lazy to do it today. Especially after all those Wilson shots. BTW, Addison has the new system maps finally. I haven't yet seen them anywhere else.

• Upvote 2

On 3/17/2016 at 9:23 PM, BusHunter said:

They walled off half of the blue line addison platform today. Looks like they used tarp material. With all the wind we had today it's a wonder it's still there. I'll see if I can get some pictures of it unless someone beats me to it.

Here's my pictorial on the addison platform sb closure and reconstruction.

First a look at the green monster, a tarp wall extending the length of the platform straight down the middle

56eb77e476007_greatwallofaddison3-17-16.

56eb7815124fd_greatwallofaddison23-17-16

56eb7845172cc_greatwallofaddisonlength.t

56eb7871d5b29_greatwallofaddisonfromover

Then we journey out on to the platform. It seems really narrow here, looks like 3 1/2 to 4 feet wide. Trains were going slow and CTA personnel seemed to be on the platform. There were 3 in the station and one on the platform

56eb797e1b3df_addisonplatformmerge3-17-1

56eb79ff3ec69_addisonhalfnotinuse3-17-16

56eb7a27248e2_addisonhalf.thumb.PNG.3a68

Here's some of the signs they have advising the riders the platform is narrow be careful. I had to carefully watch my footing that I didn't fall into the right of way to get this shot, it's that narrow. I hope no one's looking at their cell phone here or it will be bombs away. :P When it gets crowded with people waiting for trains, the platform gets hard to move around and you are elbow to elbow with people. This must be a blast for the school runs!!

56eb79aae97c4_addisonsigns3-17-16.thumb.

56eb79d4c180e_addisonwithtrain3-17-16.th

The final shot is with a train berthed, I have to admit when I first saw it with a train it felt claustrophobic.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, BusHunter said:

...Then we journey out on to the platform. It seems really narrow here, looks like 3 1/2 to 4 feet wide. Trains were going slow and CTA personnel seemed to be on the platform. There were 3 in the station and one on the platform

56eb797e1b3df_addisonplatformmerge3-17-1

56eb79ff3ec69_addisonhalfnotinuse3-17-16

56eb7a27248e2_addisonhalf.thumb.PNG.3a68

Here's some of the signs they have advising the riders the platform is narrow be careful. I had to carefully watch my footing that I didn't fall into the right of way to get this shot, it's that narrow. I hope no one's looking at their cell phone here or it will be bombs away. :P When it gets crowded with people waiting for trains, the platform gets hard to move around and you are elbow to elbow with people. This must be a blast for the school runs!!

56eb79aae97c4_addisonsigns3-17-16.thumb.

56eb79d4c180e_addisonwithtrain3-17-16.th

The final shot is with a train berthed, I have to admit when I first saw it with a train it felt claustrophobic.

Wow, it's like Wellington and Diversey before they got rebuilt...

• Upvote 1

Don't know what they accomplished by closing Addison/Blue line this weekend. The station looks virtually the same as on friday. the only difference I see is that they are working in the ceiling of the stationhouse.

Now on the platform closure, they are making strides. It looks like they have tore out part of the platform and have cemented another part about a foot across, so they are going to recement the platform. This should look nice when finished.

The latest trip with my spy camera at addison/blue shows the platform which has been tore out but has yet received the cement. With only a week to go until it opens, time's a-wastin'. Hopefully they can get this done this week.

cta addison 2 3-27-16.PNG

cta addison 3-27-16.PNG

Watch out for that hole!! :P

hole cover 3-27-16.PNG

They have removed all the light fixtures at Addison/blue as well. I guess it's getting all new lights. should be nice

cta addison 3 3-27-16.PNG

Traveling further up the line, I discovered they seem to be testing a new light in the ex CNW crossover at milwaukee just north of jeff. It looks like the ones they have on the subway walls downtown.

I was trying to figure out why it seems so dark at O'Hare. It seems the ceiling is so high and the lamps are so high the light don't reach the platform. They need to put more lighting but not make it look hokey. This seems to be the darkest station of all. Unless they were having power issues, I did notice the signals were being run manually at the O'hare interlocking. If I knew that I would have brought my flashlight!! xD Looked like the big guys were out like a line manager or someone high up, whatever it was about. They had their shiny captain hat on, that's why I say that. But supervisors do have those too.

• Upvote 1

Hot off the presses!!

addison nb closed off apr 5th.PNG

Now on Apr 11th I can sing "Go Cubs Go, Go Cubs Go, Hey chicago what do you say the nb's going to be closed today!! :P

But they might have trouble getting into the game with no main entrance. I suggested a zip line from the office plaza they are building to the field, but no one takes my calls.

34 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Hot off the presses!!

addison nb closed off apr 5th.PNG

Now on Apr 11th I can sing "Go Cubs Go, Go Cubs Go, Hey chicago what do you say the nb's going to be closed today!! :P

But they might have trouble getting into the game with no main entrance. I suggested a zip line from the office plaza they are building to the field, but no one takes my calls.

Would  rather get this done now instead of the platform closures being during the middle of the season. By April 26th, a new platform should be ready to handle all the fans that want to enjoy America's pasttime! 

9 hours ago, Juniorz said:

Would  rather get this done now instead of the platform closures being during the middle of the season. By April 26th, a new platform should be ready to handle all the fans that want to enjoy America's pasttime! 

I guess they have to run concurrently or they won't get done before the winter. If you figure six weeks at Irving Pk, Montrose, Harlem and Cumberland that's 6 months. That's october and the end of construction season. I think Harlem and Cumberland look pretty good. I would just powerwash those and fix broken platform pieces. I probably shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth  Harlem needs the bus bridge fixed I know that.

Well they finally concreted the sb platform at Addison/blue. They were cutting the concrete this afternoon. Still have to put the tactile edge though. I guess this one will run down to the wire. Funny 2 days ago no concrete at all, today it's done. Makes one wonder why does this project take 3 weeks?

Today they installed the tactile edging so they should be good to go for tomorrow's opening. So they virtually rebuild the platform in 3 days. Let me see 3 days to demolish, 3 days to fix, 3 weeks to close. Makes you wonder what they did in the other two weeks!!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like they are actually running ahead of schedule at Addison/blue on the nb side with the platform work. They already had the concrete in place yesterday and already had the tactile edge installed on over half the platform. If they wanted to they could probably open it this weekend but there's probably no hurry. The cubs won't be in town until the 26th. 

Now I wonder if there's an alert up on the next station. There might be one by the weekend for the 26th. I was noticing a few work lights last night at Montrose/blue. 

10 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Looks like they are actually running ahead of schedule at Addison/blue on the nb side with the platform work. They already had the concrete in place yesterday and already had the tactile edge installed on over half the platform. If they wanted to they could probably open it this weekend but there's probably no hurry. The cubs won't be in town until the 26th. 

Now I wonder if there's an alert up on the next station. There might be one by the weekend for the 26th. I was noticing a few work lights last night at Montrose/blue. 

Yes I guess they just put  an alert up, Montrose is next. When is Irving Park?

1 hour ago, ajm522 said:

Yes I guess they just put  an alert up, Montrose is next. When is Irving Park?

I think the reason they are going to Montrose next was that I think I read Montrose was getting a little additional work. Something to do with the entrance or fare area. I don't know if they will get a new CA booth, but they might. California and Damen got them and Addison will get one. Probably the stations with the most work are going first as maybe the entrance will take longer than 6 weeks. Notice they are not even doing Jeff this year because it is slated to get alot of upgrades and will probably take a whole season or two to complete.

Now at Montrose, does the pedestrIan bridge under Montrose count as part of the platform?

On 4/26/2016 at 10:01 AM, ajm522 said:

They opened up NB Addison early. Montrose begins tonight 

Here were some completion shots I took yesterday at Addison. I worked my way up the platform. Seems the middle where the two concrete sections meet crests and it's not the smoothest but I guess it will do. There were a few gaps where the station poles were. Don't drop any coins or they'll be gone in a flash!! Maybe they intend to shove some insulation in there in the future. We can always hope. :P

addison platform done 4-26-16 front section.PNG

addison platform done 4-26-16 far length.PNG

addison complete 4-26-16 platform length.PNG

addison complete 4-26-16 more hole signs.PNG

addison platform done 4-26-16 far end.PNG

There were a few hole signs on the platform where they used to have the shiny metal grates. I wanted to see how sturdy they were so I lightly jumped on one, they seem to be holding.

watch out for that hole at addison blue.PNG

I also stopped in at Montrose to see what's up (remember this is yesterday the 26th) The temporary lighting has all been installed now and they seem to have removed the electrical connections for the station heaters, that's why you see the caution tape. I guess this will be the last pictures of it before construction so get your fill!! xD

montrose coming soon 42616.PNG

montrose coming soon 4-26-16.PNG

• Upvote 4