Model Metra train in bathroom

ibebobo

They have a sort of interesting railroad restaurant in Schererville,Indiana (nw indiana) called Tyler's Tender. It sounds interesting if you have small kids or even for the adults. :P They have model trains that you can drive right in the restaurant and also a kiddie railroad and arcade. They even have a train at the serving table/bar which they put your order on and it rolls on over to you. :P Quirky but humorous. Arcades and trains, now they are talking my language, but they are missing the buses.

http://tylerstender.com/

34 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

They have a sort of interesting railroad restaurant in Schererville,Indiana (nw indiana) called Tyler's Tender. It sounds interesting if you have small kids or even for the adults. :P They have model trains that you can drive right in the restaurant and also a kiddie railroad and arcade. They even have a train at the serving table/bar which they put your order on and it rolls on over to you. :P Quirky but humorous. Arcades and trains, now they are talking my language, but they are missing the buses.

http://tylerstender.com/

That sounds very similar to Choo Choo Johnny's in Naperville and Frankfort, but I believe they are out of business now. Basically just a hot dog/burger joint with some model trains and arcade games. They had the train that runs down the lunch counter to deliver the food. Only went there once, it was kind of overpriced and didn't seem to have many customers.

I don't know of any bus themed restaurants either. Maybe you could buy the Fresh Moves buses and open one. xD

8 hours ago, BusHunter said:

and also a kiddie railroad

When you said Schererville, that got me thinking about the kiddie train that was at Wicker Park and later Sauzer's Kiddieland, but the one pictured on the website looks like the usual shopping mall one (like at Yorktown).

7 hours ago, Pace831 said:

I don't know of any bus themed restaurants either. Maybe you could buy the Fresh Moves buses and open one. xD

They used to make diners out of trolley cars (of course with undercar equipment and wheels removed). The Fresh Moves bus wasn't a good idea for that, and undoubtedly wouldn't be for this either, considering you probably would need an off-site kitchen and there are food trucks.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

When you said Schererville, that got me thinking about the kiddie train that was at Wicker Park and later Sauzer's Kiddieland, but the one pictured on the website looks like the usual shopping mall one (like at Yorktown).

They used to make diners out of trolley cars (of course with undercar equipment and wheels removed). The Fresh Moves bus wasn't a good idea for that, and undoubtedly wouldn't be for this either, considering you probably would need an off-site kitchen and there are food trucks.

I envisioned parking the bus permanently and putting up a building around it. It would be like a cafeteria where people walk through the bus to pick up snacks/drinks, and there would be an area for prepared food outside. Plus people could get their picture taken in the drivers seat. Seating area would be decorated with bus stop signs, model buses, etc.

24 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

I envisioned parking the bus permanently and putting up a building around it. It would be like a cafeteria where people walk through the bus to pick up snacks/drinks, and there would be an area for prepared food outside. Plus people could get their picture taken in the drivers seat. Seating area would be decorated with bus stop signs, model buses, etc.

Now if you could get the venture capital firm that bought Portillo's to buy into that concept....

I wonder where Portillo's (at least the Barnelli's ones) got all the 1920s cars to hang from the rafters.

They had a train themed restaurant long ago in North Riverside mall, where they had model trains that would drive past your booth that you would be eating in. They served their food like hamburgers with a us flag inserted in your bun using a toothpick for the flag pole. I barely remember the place which I ate at in the early 80's. My brother who is older than me says that's where this place was but I forgot what the name was. But it was nice they had actual model steam trains that smoked when they rolled by.

19 hours ago, Pace831 said:

That sounds very similar to Choo Choo Johnny's in Naperville and Frankfort, but I believe they are out of business now. Basically just a hot dog/burger joint with some model trains and arcade games. They had the train that runs down the lunch counter to deliver the food...

Sounds like a place I went to as a kid, however I remember it being by O'Hare.

1 hour ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Sounds like a place I went to as a kid, however I remember it being by O'Hare.

Would that have been The Choo-Choo in Des Plaines? Their website says they've been there since 1951.

I did a Google search for train themed restaurants near Chicago, and was surprised at how many have food delivered by model train. I thought it was an original idea when I heard about Choo Choo Johnny's, but apparently not so. Speaking of which, the Frankfort restaurant has evidently reopened with the new name All Aboard.