Green Line West Track Renewal

Tcmetro

Just now, Tcmetro said:

Looks like this is another unprecedented investment in the West Side (and Oak Park) by Mr. Emanuel.

Nothing unprecedented, and the last I heard Emanuel was not the mayor of Oak Park. The usual question is why this wasn't fixed when the Green Line was shut down, but that was 20 years ago.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Busjack said:

Nothing unprecedented, and the last I heard Emanuel was not the mayor of Oak Park. The usual question is why this wasn't fixed when the Green Line was shut down, but that was 20 years ago.

My thoughts exactly, so CTA's telling us the track didn't last 20 years on a line that has light service? o.O Well then i guess the Red line has 10 years of track service life. :P What would be nice is to get Austin, Ridgeland and Oak Park some elevators. Oak Park's station serves it's downtown area and I thought maybe that would be a priority, but I guess why the city (chicago) should fund it is the question, but why not the state?

Come to think of it the nearest elevator for that whole area is Harlem/Marion or Central/Lake. They're nothing on the blue line unless you're going to Forest Pk.

Just now, BusHunter said:

My thoughts exactly, so CTA's telling us the track didn't last 20 years on a line that has light service?

More than likely (like the various Brown Line projects after Crown the Brown in 2005 or so, like the current Ravenswood Connector job) they didn't do the job on the embankment.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

My thoughts exactly, so CTA's telling us the track didn't last 20 years on a line that has light service?

The linked press release says the most recent track renewal for that segment was in the 1980's, so at the time of the Green Line shutdown, they probably figured it was new enough to not need replacement again.

• Upvote 2

Before I moved, I didn't really have any problems with the track on the embankment. The 5000s would bust their butts getting up to 55 MPH between Austin and Ridgeland. The worst part for me was the mild 35 MPH slow zone westbound between Ashland and California, so maybe they should look at that area next.

I could understand the benefit of the project if it reduces track noise, even though I enjoyed falling asleep to the last Green Line trains of the night. It's eerily quiet out here. :ph34r: