CTA scenes in the Spider-man 2 movie

2400seriesrock

So I just finished watching Spider-man 2 and noticed this scene  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z00fTwhmYX0 when Spider-man and Doc Oct were fighting on top of the 2200 Series and at the movie is suppose to take place in Manhattan and on the R Train but a lot of people know that Downtown Manhattan does not have any Elevated trains but at 1:27 the 2200s are passing by Tower 18 I think on Lake Street. Then at 1:29 the train passes Clark/Lake. Next at 1:57 the train passes Adams/Wabash. And last at 2:00 they pass Madison/Wabash (but according to Chicago- L.com its called Broadway on the NYC R Line) But what really interest me is how they used the 2200 Series as a NYC Subway Train!          

Actually a 2200 is very similar to a NYCTA R-32, right down to the ribbed sides. By the way, the last 200 R32's are now 42 years old, and are going to get another overhaul and are expected to make 50. Only el cars that ever lasted that long before were the old Met woods (28-2900's) built 1907, last ones retired 1958 off Kenwood and Stock Yards.

7 hours ago, 2400seriesrock said:

So I just finished watching Spider-man 2 and noticed this scene  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z00fTwhmYX0 when Spider-man and Doc Oct were fighting on top of the 2200 Series and at the movie is suppose to take place in Manhattan and on the R Train but a lot of people know that Downtown Manhattan does not have any Elevated trains but at 1:27 the 2200s are passing by Tower 18 I think on Lake Street. Then at 1:29 the train passes Clark/Lake. Next at 1:57 the train passes Adams/Wabash. And last at 2:00 they pass Madison/Wabash (but according to Chicago- L.com its called Broadway on the NYC R Line) But what really interest me is how they used the 2200 Series as a NYC Subway Train!          

My guess is that it would probably be better in the movie to film a metro scene above ground to make it easier to produce, even if it's not accurate in New York City's case. But as andrethebusman pointed out, the 2200s are similar to the R32s.

Chicago-L.org has a few pictures of the event in Gallery 8 of its 2200 series photo gallery.

25 minutes ago, Scionic said:

Wow.  This movie did not hold up well at all, did it?  Nowadays, this looks like someone's freshman 3D design class project.

And somehow the Loop track is straight for 8 or 9 miles and ends at a bumper post at a body of water. It sure looks like the same about 8 seconds of footage was constantly recycled, also that the concept was recycled into the opening for Chicago Med.

• 6 years later...

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but this question has also bothered me for a number of years. Some have brought up that R32 trains were similar to CTA's 2200s. But looking at the original poster's video clip closely we see that the front of the train had two front cab windows on each side of the emergency door while R32s like many of MTA's other rapid transit models had only one, specifically on the right side. ChicagoL.org further comes here that parts of Spiderman 2 were filmed in Chicago and that that was indeed a CTA 2200 series train disguised as an MTA subway train that appeared in the movie.

13 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but this question has also bothered me for a number of years. Some have brought up that R32 trains were similar to CTA's 2200s. But looking at the original poster's video clip closely we see that the front of the train had two front cab windows on each side of the emergency door while R32s like many of MTA's other rapid transit models had only one, specifically on the right side. ChicagoL.org further comes here that parts of Spiderman 2 were filmed in Chicago and that that was indeed a CTA 2200 series train disguised as an MTA subway train that appeared in the movie.

Didn't see the movie, but i watched the clip posted above.  That was definitely a 2200 series train.  Was the movie supposed to be set in New York, Boston,  or here?  Everyone should know there are no elevated teain tracks in Midtown or Lower Manhattan.   I haven't been to Brooklyn for years bur I don't recall any elevated tracks in Downtown Brooklyn either.  There are elevated trains in Brooklyn but I know everything around Barclay's is underground  

I haven't been to Boston so I can't really say, but I thought there was an elevated train near TD Garden.  

3 hours ago, jajuan said:

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Didn't see the movie, but i watched the clip posted above.  That was definitely a 2200 series train.  Was the movie supposed to be set in New York, Boston,  or here?  Everyone should know there are no elevated teain tracks in Midtown or Lower Manhattan.   I haven't been to Brooklyn for years bur I don't recall any elevated tracks in Downtown Brooklyn either.  There are elevated trains in Brooklyn but I know everything around Barclay's is underground  

I haven't been to Boston so I can't really say, but I thought there was an elevated train near TD Garden.  

IRRC (and it isn't worth it), they slapped a white on black number on a CTA car.

The movie was supposed to be set in NYC, but it got some sort of incentive to film in Illinois.  As I noted above, Wabash Ave. gets looped a lot.

There is an elevated near TD Garden, but it is used for the Green Line, which runs LRVs. MBTA cars usually are painted in the line's color, and are not stainless.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...