Clever Device Prompts

BusHunter

An operator was showing me some of the prompts on their bus on this new touch screen clever device. Some I've never heard.

One is where Mr CTA says. "This bus with be detouring and running through the affected areas express (without stopping)

We did have a conversation about the Addison detour and they said CTA has told all operators to run express through there without stopping. It's perfectly legit to pass up riders. This seems to be a standard practice at CTA.

BTW, while I'm on the subject, can an operator detour a different direction cause one day I had an operator go down Irving Pk. All the operators that was passing her was pointing south like your supposed to go down Oak Park although if they are going express I don't see why it would matter. Although I'd probably want to stay with the pack or they have a possibility of passing you.

She may have been on to something, irving Pk runs two lanes Austin to Narr. and the traffic flows not too bad through the factories of dunning plus it calls for two right turns instead of two lefts both of which could take 5 minutes to turn. I wonder who thought Belmont was fast.

The Second CTA prompts message says "this bus is late and will be turning around"

and there's a third one I forget

There all on the second screen of the prompts, most of the regular ones we hear are on the first page of prompts. I wonder if this was on the older clever devices. I don't think so, but it was nice to hear them. I wish I could've recorded them but I wasn't thinking that at the time.

7 hours ago, BusHunter said:

An operator was showing me some of the prompts on their bus on this new touch screen clever device. Some I've never heard.

One is where Mr CTA says. "This bus with be detouring and running through the affected areas express (without stopping)

We did have a conversation about the Addison detour and they said CTA has told all operators to run express through there without stopping. It's perfectly legit to pass up riders. This seems to be a standard practice at CTA.

BTW, while I'm on the subject, can an operator detour a different direction cause one day I had an operator go down Irving Pk. All the operators that was passing her was pointing south like your supposed to go down Oak Park although if they are going express I don't see why it would matter. Although I'd probably want to stay with the pack or they have a possibility of passing you.

She may have been on to something, irving Pk runs two lanes Austin to Narr. and the traffic flows not too bad through the factories of dunning plus it calls for two right turns instead of two lefts both of which could take 5 minutes to turn. I wonder who thought Belmont was fast.

The Second CTA prompts message says "this bus is late and will be turning around"

There all on the second screen of the prompts, most of the regular ones we hear are on the first page of prompts. I wonder if this was on the older clever devices. I don't think so, but it was nice to hear them. I wish I could've recorded them but I wasn't thinking that at the time.

They also had some Chicago Bears players recorded on there and on a couple of busses there was a prompt that allowed riders to see run number inside. 

57 minutes ago, ajm522 said:

They also had some Chicago Bears players recorded on there and on a couple of busses there was a prompt that allowed riders to see run number inside. 

But not where you touch a button and request it on the clever device? like the service announcements. I think the sports players are programmed in to play at certain gps points. I never heard one that was random.

9 hours ago, ajm522 said:

8 hours ago, BusHunter said:

But not where you touch a button and request it on the clever device? like the service announcements. I think the sports players are programmed in to play at certain gps points. I never heard one that was random.

Similar for the run numbers, which have been displayed ever since the announcement system was there (I would guess 12 years). While L operators have had prompts on their screens ("we are waiting for signals") this seems new for buses.

21 hours ago, BusHunter said:

You forgot two more...

"This Bus is experiencing an equipment problem and will be out of service. The next bus will be arriving shortly." (This is used for broke down buses throughout the day except the last one on the route...

"This Bus is experiencing an equipment problem and will be out of service. There is no more service scheduled on this route. Thank you for riding the CTA." (This is where cabs and uber come into play... when CTA politely says you're S.O.L.) :PxD

If the bummer bus fails, they are supposed to send another pullin bus over. Sometimes though that may not happen if word does not pass over or happens too late but that's the procedure.

The third one might be something like "this bus has failed please board the bus behind us". Or something to that effect.

Addison detour is Addison-Oak Park-Belmont-Central-Addison, and yes, you are supposed to make stops, at least on Belmont and Austin. This is on paper, and anybody doing anything else is off route. Now, pull-outs and pull-ins are a bit of a different cat. There are official routes that you are supposed to use, and yes, if something happens if you do something different, you will have a problem, but as long as nothing happens nobody will have a cow over it. I a few cases the "official" routes are even at best impractical, such as 103rd Garage to 95E at Buffalo/92nd via 103rd-Stony Island-95th-Commercial-S Chicago-Exchange-92nd-Burley-91st-Buffalo. Most just go Commercial-91st-Buffalo. But that said, you are taking a bit of a chance.