CTA Rail Terminology

cea1991

21 minutes ago, cea1991 said:

What is a "slip-fighter" "sleep-fighter"? 

sleet fighter. A train that puts deicing equipment on the rails. Electricity fails to conduct in icy conditions, so they attempt the deice it. If your in a bad storm sometimes you can witness this degradation of power first hand. The train will arc wildly and fail eventually. I wonder if AC operates differently than DC. in the ice? I've never really witness bad ice storms on AC equipment so far.

1 hour ago, sw4400 said:

This is an example of what BusHunter is talking about regarding degradation of power and failure of the train in an ice storm.

Now I'm going to remember this video any time I walk under the L during snow, especially if I happen to be carrying an open container of gasoline.

Location must be the Milwaukee elevated, since the middle cars of the train are 2200s (blinker doors).

1 hour ago, Pace831 said:

Now I'm going to remember this video any time I walk under the L during snow, especially if I happen to be carrying an open container of gasoline.

Location must be the Milwaukee elevated, since the middle cars of the train are 2200s (blinker doors).

Between Damen and Western, according to the camera man, but it was filmed around the time period when the Blue Line still ran to 54th.

5 hours ago, BusHunter said:

...I wonder if AC operates differently than DC. in the ice? I've never really witness bad ice storms on AC equipment so far.

5 hours ago, BusHunter said:

I wonder if AC operates differently than DC. in the ice? I've never really witness bad ice storms on AC equipment so far.

Theoretically no, as the third rail is always DC.

The cars may have different ways of dealing with the ice, though. For instance, the specs for the 7000s have an option for a system that automatically detects if the third rail is on the left or right side of the lead car, and drops antifreeze accordingly.