Random Emanuel or express train

Busjack

Tribune article about how Emanuel wants a diversion of an engineering study for an O;Hare express train. Didn't one just open with cars 5631 to 5714* to serve the 2016 Olympics in Washington Park?B| The article says no.

Maybe notable in this fantasy scenario is that his CTA doesn't want anything to do with it,** and the aviation commissioner thinks the station can be built in River North (or maybe the West Loop, but that doesn't get anyone near Michigan Ave.).

*Or maybe 5623-5706.

**So the $~270 million in CTA money blown on the Block 37 tunnel was blown.

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Probably at this point, an express bus on the Kennedy out to the airport on dedicated lanes makes the most sense.

I would like to see tracks on the reversible lanes on the Kennedy and links to the Lake Street subway or the Milwaukee Ave subway north of Chicago Avenue.   Trains could make all stops from Jefferson Park to O'Hare and still be a 25 to 30 minute ride.   Perhaps thru route the Express trains through Block 37 and out to Midway. 

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I would like to see tracks on the reversible lanes on the Kennedy and links to the Lake Street subway or the Milwaukee Ave subway north of Chicago Avenue.   Trains could make all stops from Jefferson Park to O'Hare and still be a 25 to 30 minute ride.   Perhaps thru route the Express trains through Block 37 and out to Midway. 

You might be on to something my friend!

5 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Probably at this point, an express bus on the Kennedy out to the airport on dedicated lanes makes the most sense.

An express bus on the Kennedy makes no sense. Usually it is so backed up that the travel time from O'Hare is an hour. The 45 minute ride on the L makes more sense. If Continental Air Transport couldn't make a go of it, nobody can.

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

2 hours ago, garmon757 said:

You might be on to something my friend!

No he isn't. For one thing, the consultant 10 years ago, to whom I alluded in my first post, said to double deck the UP NW line. Nobody is going to give up the reversibles, especially for some elitist train line, and the more likely thing is that they toll them (sort of similar to what they are talking about on the Stevenson Expressway).

As I indicated above, this is only for Emanuel to divert attention from the city's real problems, and maybe find $5 million of dole for some engineering consulting firm. You'll note the reference in the article that the Red South should  be a higher priority. Venture capital is not going to get into this unless it can make a profit on what might be a $4 billion investment. Venture capital sure didn't get behind Daley's two boondoggles.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Busjack said:

An express bus on the Kennedy makes no sense. Usually it is so backed up that the travel time from O'Hare is an hour. The 45 minute ride on the L makes more sense. If Continental Air Transport couldn't make a go of it, nobody can.

No he isn't. For one thing, the consultant 10 years ago, to whom I alluded in my first post, said to double deck the UP NW line. Nobody is going to give up the reversibles, especially for some elitist train line, and the more likely thing is that they toll them (sort of similar to what they are talking about on the Stevenson Expressway).

As I indicated above, this is only for Emanuel to divert attention from the city's real problems, and maybe find $5 million of dole for some engineering consulting firm. You'll note the reference in the article that the Red South should  be a higher priority. Venture capital is not going to get into this unless it can make a profit on what might be a $4 billion investment. Venture capital sure didn't get behind Daley's two boondoggles.

Ok ok. Fair enough but come on! You can't tell me that was a bad thought though! B| 

3 hours ago, garmon757 said:

Ok ok. Fair enough but come on! You can't tell me that was a bad thought though! B| 

Ah!! but the thing is i said dedicated lanes like BOS and he didn't read that. That's why I mentioned it. An uninterrupted trip to the airport is as fast or faster than the "L". I think that's the only way you can sell a plan to the state because they will not go for things that decrease car lanes.

11 hours ago, west towns said:

Already exists called North Central service.  Upgrade the line and add frequencies.   Start with serving current station at future car rental with the extended people mover.  Then for future    Put in a new track to an underground   station closer to terminals 

Problem with that is that it is CN tracks, and CN won't let any further passenger use of it.

10 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Ah!! but the thing is i said dedicated lanes like BOS and he didn't read that. That's why I mentioned it. An uninterrupted trip to the airport is as fast or faster than the "L". I think that's the only way you can sell a plan to the state because they will not go for things that decrease car lanes.

The state us NOT going to dedicate a bus lane on a stretch that has an L and the UPNW parallel to it. And the reason there are the reversibles is that there isn't the available land. Unlike on the south side, they didn't want to tear down all the Polish churches.

12 minutes ago, west towns said:

.... As for a dedicated bus lane Bruc $e money bags will most likely go after the reverse lanes on Kennedy  as another managed lane then try add a lane on shoulder out to airport making another cash register for his private sector cronies 

While I didn't say it was happening, it certainly is more likely than anything else suggested in this topic, including by Ginger Evans.

Other rail options are Milwaukee west or up west to proviso freight line then a new spur track from either ito the airport from the south.

As for the UP NW, how does this factor in as an option as from Jeff. Park it shoots far nw instead more due west as the airport is located.  I guess there could be a turnout put in at Devil connecting onto the North Central line but that wipes out a small neighborhood 

1 hour ago, west towns said:

As for the UP NW, how does this factor in as an option as from Jeff. Park it shoots far nw instead more due west as the airport is located.  I guess there could be a turnout put in at Devil connecting onto the North Central line but that wipes out a small neighborhood 

That consultant's theory was "the Kennedy has to be rebuilt eventually" so widen the median past Jefferson Park and stick vehicular traffic on the shoulder. However, in the 8 or so years since then, apparently the Kennedy Expressway was not rebuilt.

4 hours ago, lilssridah said:

Rahm wants to make an express route to O'hare but instead of using the big cave under Block 37 using its current line blue line tracks. How can that be accomplished? Also Is there access to see the Big Cave money pit under block 37? Where was the tunnel portal supposed to enter into block 37?

In reverse order:

The tunnel does intersect with the Blue line north of Randolph and the Red Line platform was severed at Washington, resulting in the closure of the Washington-State station.

Only access to the money pit was given to a news reporter. Update: see the story from Crain's, and the discussion in this forum.

As to "how it could be accomplished," see above on possible, but not likely routes over railroad right of way. Maybe Daley conceived of a maglev on a level above the NCS route (Milw West and CN/Wisconsin Central).