A Bus That Thinks It's A Train

BusHunter

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Then there's the suspension railway. A railroad that thinks it's Spider-man. I know some people that would get sick riding that. It drives pretty fast and it sways in the wind. I'd probably be like whoaaaa!!! if I took a ride!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5ZVo5J8fGw

The Wuppertal suspended train was used in the movie "Fahrenheit 451"

Japan also has some suspended railways.

There’s also the issue of any vehicles that are very tall accidentally striking one of the suspended trains, rather than support structures and girders for conventional trains. I think that happened in Wuppertal a few years ago and one of the trains had a large gash added to it as a result.

I also haven’t seen any walkways to evacuate onto if the train stalls, though that is true for other monorails I have seen. At least if they have to evacuate into a tunnel (a Japanese system has one) passengers can just make a small jump onto the ground instead of a hazardous track area. Conventional monorails in tunnels also have very large drops because of how the track is constructed.

13 hours ago, BusHunter said:

They have one in Memphis but it drives really slow. They have youtube videos on it. It's almost like a tram 

Ugh, the Mud Island connector. I can walk the bridge over it faster than that thing moves. Used to take it all the time, I was fascinated with Mud Island as a child, now that I'm older, I really don't see the appeal (other than the scale model showing the depth of the Mississippi, that's admittedly still cool)

15 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Ugh, the Mud Island connector. I can walk the bridge over it faster than that thing moves. Used to take it all the time, I was fascinated with Mud Island as a child, now that I'm older, I really don't see the appeal (other than the scale model showing the depth of the Mississippi, that's admittedly still cool)

It's one of those things do it once and you've seen it. The skyline looked nice with the pyramid and all and the bridge. That's where the Grizzlies play right? I haven't been to Memphis in 40 years. I was in Nashville about 2 years ago. Surprised by the few skyscrapers they had. They also had some beautiful bridges. 

On 1/11/2021 at 1:16 PM, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Japan also has some suspended railways.

There’s also the issue of any vehicles that are very tall accidentally striking one of the suspended trains, rather than support structures and girders for conventional trains. I think that happened in Wuppertal a few years ago and one of the trains had a large gash added to it as a result.

I also haven’t seen any walkways to evacuate onto if the train stalls, though that is true for other monorails I have seen. At least if they have to evacuate into a tunnel (a Japanese system has one) passengers can just make a small jump onto the ground instead of a hazardous track area. Conventional monorails in tunnels also have very large drops because of how the track is constructed.

I was watching the Japan one and it has a few islands that just appear for the employees. It's weird like an upside down railroad. How do they do track maintenance? The signals are just mounted on vertical structures hanging over wherever. I guess if a train gets stuck you call a hook and ladder for them I dont know!! Lol!!

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

It's one of those things do it once and you've seen it. The skyline looked nice with the pyramid and all and the bridge. That's where the Grizzlies play right? I haven't been to Memphis in 40 years. I was in Nashville about 2 years ago. Surprised by the few skyscrapers they had. They also had some beautiful bridges. 

They used to play at the pyramid, but no longer. It's now a Bass Pro Shops and the side of the pyramid has been defaced with the logo. Despite the sprawl and population, Memphis's urban core isn't actually much of anything. It's an interesting case; the city is comparable to Baltimore or Las Vegas (by popluation) but doesn't shake and roll at nearly the economic level of either of those cities and it shows.

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Nashville was in the middle of a building boom downtown.   They've had a population explosion in the last few years with a lot of Illinois transplants.   I am looking too, but no plans yet.  

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Nashville was in the middle of a building boom downtown.   They've had a population explosion in the last few years with a lot of Illinois transplants.   I am looking too, but no plans yet.  

Didn't seem bad I was pleasantly surprised with Nashville. It was clean and had alot of younger people there. Was there on a friday night when all the honky tonks were going. Some places were big like there's a kid rock honky tonk. It's like 4 stories. Definitely had a music vibe going cause that's like a city of music. There were alot of celebrity bars. I saw something too that I've never seen in Chicago (and we know how to party).  There was a trailer that would drive down the street and they had dancers on the trailer and anyone could come aboard. It was like a mobile bar with all the lights and acoustics. You can probably find out about it online.

9 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I always wondered how the city would look now if the Koch Brothers hadn't defeated that transit ballot initiative.