NICTD/South Shore Line

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

Forgive me for thinking the purpose of double tracking was that trains in each direction would have their own platforms.  I thought that's how they would accomplish faster travel times and more frequent service. 

Don't feel bad...I thought the same thing that both sides would be high platform. Maybe it will be corrected in the future. 🚉😕 🤷🏾‍♂️

33 minutes ago, renardo870 said:

Don't feel bad...I thought the same thing that both sides would be high platform. Maybe it will be corrected in the future. 🚉😕 🤷🏾‍♂️

The issue isn't so much that they didn't build two high level platforms but

1.  I thought the WB side should have been the one with the high level platform. 

2.  If the idea is to spend up service,  why does the WB train have to cross over to the EB track to serve  the station?  O thought the purpose of double tracking was to eliminate conflicts between EB and WB trains having to share the same track.

3. It doesn't matter if one side has a low level platform just as long as it has service.  The trains should be ADA compliant and the platform should be also since it is also new.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

The issue isn't so much that they didn't build two high level platforms but

1.  I thought the WB side should have been the one with the high level platform. 

2.  If the idea is to spend up service,  why does the WB train have to cross over to the EB track to serve  the station?  O thought the purpose of double tracking was to eliminate conflicts between EB and WB trains having to share the same track.

3. It doesn't matter if one side has a low level platform just as long as it has service.  The trains should be ADA compliant and the platform should be also since it is also new.

The WB platform definitely should have been built high level to improve boarding and alighting times going to the Loop. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Forgive me for thinking the purpose of double tracking was that trains in each direction would have their own platforms.  I thought that's how they would accomplish faster travel times and more frequent service. 

The threshold for more frequent service was low enough that doing the stopping patterns like this still suffices lol. And ironically, they’re still saving time with level boarding, although I’m not sure how much is saved vs high levels in both directions.

Miller has a new stub track and two high level platforms, and that’s where most of the new service is beginning/ending. Portage & Dune Park still aren’t seeing more than what, 2tph per direction? I imagine that also reduces the time penalty of only using one platform

Do we know if SSL currently strictly adheres to south track = outbound, north track = inbound as much as possible, or are they more flexible? If the latter, that might explain why they constructed the platforms they way they did.

Additionally, money issue?

• 2 weeks later...

How many rail cars does the South Shore have? I know they have single EMU's and gallery cars but I'm not sure of the number. I know of the 300 series cars (I think 12) and the leasing of the Metra Highliners 1201-1226 (26) series cars. I think they have a few units that don't have a motor cab on either end but run in between the ones with a motor cab. Just trying to see if they will have enough equipment to run the expanded service. 

25 minutes ago, renardo870 said:

How many rail cars does the South Shore have? I know they have single EMU's and gallery cars but I'm not sure of the number. I know of the 300 series cars (I think 12) and the leasing of the Metra Highliners 1201-1226 (26) series cars. I think they have a few units that don't have a motor cab on either end but run in between the ones with a motor cab. Just trying to see if they will have enough equipment to run the expanded service. 

There's a roster here. I don't know if te SSL wrecked any cars since  then, but I'm sure the NICTD planning department is not relying on you "to see if they will have enough equipment to run the expanded service."

10 hours ago, renardo870 said:

They have 48 single deck bi-end motor cars 1-48 new 1982/3 (17, 26, 41 new 1992, 27 new 2001, replacing damaged cars); 10 single-end motor cars 101-110 new 2001; 10 trailer cars new 1992 201-210; 14 bi-level motor cars 301-314 and the 26 bi-level motor cars from Metra 1201-26.

Total of 98 motor cars and 10 trailers.