Electrified BNSF line?

How hard would it be to 3rd rail electrify the BNSF metra route? Given that the BNSF route is already super popular, and that the stop spacing is comical, it seems that electrification has been a long time coming. I suggest 3rd rail because BNSF uses double stack trains and they could use that as an excuse for no overhead wires, and in some fantasy world, it would be semi-feasble to run trains into the 'l' loop. The only real problem is that the line is almost entirely at grade and someone who might be visually impaired or mentally ill could wander on the tracks and electrify themselves, but this doesn't seem to be a big problem on the 'l'. 

3 minutes ago, Elkmn said:

How hard would it be to 3rd rail electrify the BNSF metra route? Given that the BNSF route is already super popular, and that the stop spacing is comical, it seems that electrification has been a long time coming. I suggest 3rd rail because BNSF uses double stack trains and they could use that as an excuse for no overhead wires, and in some fantasy world, it would be semi-feasble to run trains into the 'l' loop. The only real problem is that the line is almost entirely at grade and someone who might be visually impaired or mentally ill could wander on the tracks and electrify themselves, but this doesn't seem to be a big problem on the 'l'. 

Never gonna happen. Also ME uses overhead and double deck trains with no issue. The most electrification that would happen is the battery electric trains that are being looked at but never would they waste time putting 3rd rails nor wires up for a line. 

This always happens when I think about crazy infra projects on metra and get excited. I gotta realize that freight railroads are genuinely awful and neatly that any metra electrification would require massive changes to freight railroads that metra couldn't afford. *Sigh*

4 hours ago, Elkmn said:

This always happens when I think about crazy infra projects on metra and get excited. I gotta realize that freight railroads are genuinely awful and neatly that any metra electrification would require massive changes to freight railroads that metra couldn't afford. *Sigh*

Other than whether Metra can afford it, it doesn't own the tracks--BNSF (i.e. Warren Buffet) does. While some federal money has gone into private railroads on which Metra has trackage rights, Metra doesn't even control the operation on the BNSF. When the New Yawk juvenile posted the same point, he ignored a report  to which he linked *saying that freight railroads won't electrify. (Note that that report said that BNSF and Wabtec were working on a battery electric locomotive.)

As @Sam92 pointed out, it won't be third rail, for additional reasons that the line is the main Burlington freight route with several working yards, and it runs at grade through various high-population suburbs. It's bad enough there are various grade crossing accidents; wait until some child  gets fried on the tracks. In fact, after the Lee case, I don't see how CTA gets away with at-grade third rail, or removing the cyclone fence gates at Maple and Isabella on the Purple Line (pitting rubber pyramids between the tracks, instead).

-------------

*Te link went dead but this contains the substance.