Ashland Extension to new northern terminal?

Tcmetro

On 6/4/2024 at 5:27 PM, renardo870 said:

First day of CPS shool year is tentatively dated for Monday, Aug 26, 2024. So the 2024 Fall Bus Pick will be tentatively set for Sunday Aug 25th, 2024.

I’m in the meeting now, and you are right. Sunday, August 25th will be the official effect date of the extension. IMG_3799.thumb.jpeg.b3e5c752c0c0e0d1cef386d93a85c802.jpeg

• Like 1

Block Club Club Chicago article that also confirms the above CTA meeting details that extension is apparently a go and scheduled to kick off on August 25, the first day that 2024 Fall pick changes go into effect. And yes the X9 will remain unchanged and continue to terminate at Irving Park/Broadway with the continued connections to the Red Line and the 36 Broadway bus.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2024/06/14/ravenswood-will-be-connected-to-ashland-bus-when-new-route-kicks-in-this-summer/ 

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Rail Introvert said:

The same story was linked in my post immediately before yours. I don't know if we should expect everyone to understand the linking tool, but please read what came before and add to it.

On 7/10/2024 at 8:41 PM, Busjack said:

Sun-Times on deliberations regarding the extension. Looks like it will happen on time, but I guess CTA still needs permission to use city streets.

According to StreetsBlogChicago, they need one more City Council meeting to finalize the extension, next one being this coming Wednesday.

On 7/13/2024 at 7:38 AM, TaylorTank1229 said:

According to StreetsBlogChicago, they need one more City Council meeting to finalize the extension, next one being this coming Wednesday.

As of earlier today, the City Council has given the final approval for the Ashland Extension in today’s meeting and is all set to initialize the service change on time next month.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2024/07/17/ashland-avenue-bus-to-ravenswood-metra-will-start-next-month/

On 7/11/2024 at 10:30 PM, Rail Introvert said:

Dam the 8 is already a long route from 95th to Broadway 🤣🤣 hey make it longer glad I don't work out of 6 I'll be mad to get that route

30 minutes ago, Shannon tahoeppv said:

Dam the 8 is already a long route from 95th to Broadway 🤣🤣 hey make it longer glad I don't work out of 6 I'll be mad to get that route

This change is for 9, not 8. Doesn't really extends 9's length, as it would no longer go east to Clark.

1 hour ago, Shannon tahoeppv said:

It's the 9 and the extension  distance wise is no more than 1/2  mile or so.  Even with the extension and adding the 104th/Vincennes trips, it's still not longer distance wise than the 26 which is the longest bus route.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone see that the new bus stops along the route extension are now showing up on the bus tracker? Also saying the service on the new routing will start a couple hours? Someone forgot to change the coding to that or something when word got out about its 9-day delay? 

58 minutes ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

Anyone see that the new bus stops along the route extension are now showing up on the bus tracker? Also saying the service on the new routing will start a couple hours? Someone forgot to change the coding to that or something when word got out about its 9-day delay? 

Probably coding like you said. Maybe forgot to delay that part of the pick going into the system. The buses are probably gonna display the new destination 🤦🤦

The new 9 schedule has been posted as well:

https://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/6/bus-tt_9.pdf

CTA is often late to update their GTFS (the data feed for Internet applications). Earlier this year the 10 and 130 routes did not show up on any apps or bus tracker for about a week. I doubt this issue with the 9 bus data will be fixed before service is supposed to begin.

2 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

CTA is often late to update their GTFS (the data feed for Internet applications). Earlier this year the 10 and 130 routes did not show up on any apps or bus tracker for about a week. I doubt this issue with the 9 bus data will be fixed before service is supposed to begin.

So operators will probably just simply inform passengers that the extension won’t go into effect next month, in the case one of them asks questions about it?

6 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

3 hours ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

So operators will probably just simply inform passengers that the extension won’t go into effect next month, in the case one of them asks questions about it?

FWIW, while the 9 page has the upcoming alert effective Sept. 3, the timetable still has the old effective date of Aug. 25:

image.png.5502245a29bfe974a6e4f6add54fff7f.png

So, the question is really if someone will be suckered into waiting for a bus on Ravenswood.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

FWIW, while the 9 page has the upcoming alert effective Sept. 3, the timetable still has the old effective date of Aug. 25:

image.png.5502245a29bfe974a6e4f6add54fff7f.png

So, the question is really if someone will be suckered into waiting for a bus on Ravenswood.

Wouldn’t be surprised. That kind of happened  last year when the #84 Peterson started going to Thorndale Red Line. The first few days, some people were waiting at Bryn Mawr for a WB bus, unaware of the route change despite the multiple notices on bus stops along the route. Even some bus drivers weren’t aware of the change and continued laying over at Bryn Mawr.

48 minutes ago, renardo870 said:

All scheduled CTA bus updates 8/25/24 & 8/26/24 are online on the website. Hopefully there are signs on the Ashland bus stops that their service will start 9/3/24.

I was on a NB Ashland bus not too long ago after getting off work. Only notices/signs were on the bus itself, none out on the bus stops from what I could tell.

3 hours ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

Wouldn’t be surprised. That kind of happened  last year when the #84 Peterson started going to Thorndale Red Line. The first few days, some people were waiting at Bryn Mawr for a WB bus, unaware of the route change despite the multiple notices on bus stops along the route. Even some bus drivers weren’t aware of the change and continued laying over at Bryn Mawr.

I was on a NB Ashland bus not too long ago after getting off work. Only notices/signs were on the bus itself, none out on the bus stops from what I could tell.

On your last point about the Ashland buses, CTA riders in general are notorious systemwide for not reading notices posted on the bus. Hopefully operators are actually informing passengers that the change isn't in effect until the day after Labor Day especially given that BusTracker is showing the extension reflecting bus arrival times at the soon to be new stops. I gather buses are likely showing the new destination signs since when you click on a northbound bus icon or a northbound stop, the destination info now reads '9 to Ravenswood Metra'. It doesn't help that CTA has been really lax this time around in putting advanced notices or looks of new schedules on the website. They didn't post anything, and I've been checking regularly so that I could get an advance look at the schedule for the local Ashland bus once the extension goes into effect. But at least the delay in extension going live still gives me chance to see how to I can readjust my commute pattern and travel times. I pretty much mainly need it for southbound service. Coming back northbound, I tend to hop on the express note than the local since I can connect with the 36 when I see that the 22 is delayed as can be the case quite too often in PM rush.

1 hour ago, jajuan said:

They didn't post anything, and I've been checking regularly so that I could get an advance look at the schedule for the local Ashland bus once the extension goes into effect.

Not true. There was an Advance Timetable link, and the link @Tcmetro posted is to the 9 to Ravenswood schedule, but, as I noted, has the wrong effective date.

Also, I don't see the point of "the operators should inform the passengers," as the issue, pointed out with respect to 84, is whether the correct bus stop signs and notices are posted for people waiting for the bus. If someone boards the bus, hopefully it will have the correct destination sign.

53 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Not true. There was an Advance Timetable link, and the link @Tcmetro posted is to the 9 to Ravenswood schedule, but, as I noted, has the wrong effective date.

Also, I don't see the point of "the operators should inform the passengers," as the issue, pointed out with respect to 84, is whether the correct bus stop signs and notices are posted for people waiting for the bus. If someone boards the bus, hopefully it will have the correct destination sign.

Unless I needed to refresh my browser when looking before today, which I did do by the way, no there was not and still isn't considering CTA tends to leave those links up when they do provide them. That's from the regular 9 schedule page. It's advanced technically because of the delay in implementation. At any rate, it's moot at this point because the new pick is in effect. As for my point made about operators giving an FYI, it helps if they do so in light of the reports that CTA has no notices up that the change isn't happening today for those since it is in fact possible that the actual bus stop signs may have already been updated to reflect the extension. The history of updated signs going up for the 26 and 94 well before their respective extensions occurred says that is in fact possible. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jajuan said:

Unless I needed to refresh my browser when looking before today, which I did do by the way, no there was not. It's advanced technically because of the delay in implementation.

The Advance Timetable link was for all changed routes.  The 9 webpage was and still is correct. What's on street corners, I don't know.