Greetings From Boston

Hi All;

I am in Boston on vacation until Sunday 8/19/2007. I have noticed many CNG buses

and it seems that MBTA keeps their fleet looking pretty good. I arrived 8/14/2007 and have seen Neoplans, TMCs, and I think NABIs. I would guess that the average age of the buses is lower than that of the CTA. When I get back I'll include a few pics. I should mention the bus I've ridden here is the shuttle which connects the Airport with the Blue Line station. I have been on the Blue and Green line trains.

Stay well in Chicago.

Gene King :D

Any sight of the New Flyers, which Boston was supposed to get when Neoplan went under?

Yes I've seen quite a few New Flyer 40ft LF buses. Since they didn't have roof pods I think they must be regular diesel. BTW, yesterday I rode the #71 to Watertown Square. This is one of the Cambridge ETB routes. I boarded on the left side at the Harvard Red Line station. Outbound fares on this route are Pay As You Leave. If I didn't mention MBTA has a few high floor RTS buses which look good. They sound like they may have Cummins engines. There are so many Neoplans here that I wonder MBTA "killed" Neoplan.

Gene King

BTW, yesterday I rode the #71 to Watertown Square. This is one of the Cambridge ETB routes. I boarded on the left side at the Harvard Red Line station.
Are those all Neoplans, or are the 1970s era Flyers still around?

One time when I had a continuing education session at Harvard, I spent a fair amount of time trying to find the bus entrance to the Harvard T station. Finally did find the portal a couple of blocks away. I suppose that that underground bus station is why they are still running ETBs.

Are those all Neoplans, or are the 1970s era Flyers still around?

One time when I had a continuing education session at Harvard, I spent a fair amount of time trying to find the bus entrance to the Harvard T station. Finally did find the portal a couple of blocks away. I suppose that that underground bus station is why they are still running ETBs.

All the #71s and #73s I saw were Neoplans so I think the New Flyer ETBs have been retired.

BTW, When I first heard of the Harvard T station buses I thought that non electric buses did not run in the tunnel. While I waited for the #71, I saw some diesel New Flyer LF40s come in, stop on the curve and discharge passengers and exit [no these buses did not have left side doors].If I didn't mention, I did ride the Neoplan dual mode Silver Line buses. On the way to Logan Airport yesterday I rode a New Flyer D40LF as the Blue Line was not running to the Govt. Center station where I boarded. One more thing, I found out the green lights on MBTA buses mean "send police" [per a supervisor at the Airport station].

Gene :)

All the #71s and #73s I saw were Neoplans so I think the New Flyer ETBs have been retired.

BTW, When I first heard of the Harvard T station buses I thought that non electric buses did not run in the tunnel. While I waited for the #71, I saw some diesel New Flyer LF40s come in, stop on the curve and discharge passengers and exit [no these buses did not have left side doors].If I didn't mention, I did ride the Neoplan dual mode Silver Line buses. On the way to Logan Airport yesterday I rode a New Flyer D40LF as the Blue Line was not running to the Govt. Center station where I boarded. One more thing, I found out the green lights on MBTA buses mean "send police" [per a supervisor at the Airport station].

Gene :)

Please allow me to correct myself. I DID NOT ride the dual mode Silver Line buses. I rode the branch which doesn't use dual mode Neoplans.

BTW, it's great to hear there are some New Flyer ETBs left.

Yes I've seen quite a few New Flyer 40ft LF buses. Since they didn't have roof pods I think they must be regular diesel. BTW, yesterday I rode the #71 to Watertown Square. This is one of the Cambridge ETB routes. I boarded on the left side at the Harvard Red Line station. Outbound fares on this route are Pay As You Leave. If I didn't mention MBTA has a few high floor RTS buses which look good. They sound like they may have Cummins engines. There are so many Neoplans here that I wonder MBTA "killed" Neoplan.

Gene King

Do you know how long left that MBTA are continuing operating 1994-95 TMC/Nova RTS? I heard that they are about to rehab those now, I might as well move up there to drive them, after CTA retiring their 1990 TMCs, Otherwise I'll go to Providence, R.I. to drive 2000-01 Nova RTSs.

Do you know how long left that MBTA are continuing operating 1994-95 TMC/Nova RTS? I heard that they are about to rehab those now, I might as well move up there to drive them, after CTA retiring their 1990 TMCs, Otherwise I'll go to Providence, R.I. to drive 2000-01 Nova RTSs.

I'm sorry I don't have an answer to that question. I can say that the RTS buses I saw in Boston looked so clean one might think they were new or had been recently rehabbed. :)

Do you know how long left that MBTA are continuing operating 1994-95 TMC/Nova RTS? I heard that they are about to rehab those now, I might as well move up there to drive them, after CTA retiring their 1990 TMCs

According to The New England Transportation Site, the 270 RTSes not overhauled or overhauled internally will be replaced by 155 New Flyers between October and April. The 125 RTSes rebuilt at Midwest Bus will stay put, with 97 of them set to receive additional engine and transmission work.

Otherwise I'll go to Providence, R.I. to drive 2000-01 Nova RTSs.

There are no 2001 Novas at RIPTA. There are 1992 TMCs, 1998, '99 (30'), and 2000 Novas.

Yes, unfortunely, the 4400's are being retired, it's sad to see them go, but one question to qwantae, why do you always say you're going to move just because one type of bus here in Chicago is being retired? There's still the other buses...

Because, I cannot give up on RTSes, They are my favorite type. Im sorry that you think that RTSes are out of style but I still love them, the way they look on outside and inside. Does anyone know which city that has the Newest RTSes? I would guess 2002 RTS in Dallas or 2001 RTS in Detroit. Im sorry I cannot live in a city with no RTSes. Im planning on moving to New Jersey for Millineum TS, I dont care much for Low Floors instead of Nova LF, I love those.

Im planning on moving to New Jersey for Millineum TS, I dont care much for Low Floors instead of Nova LF, I love those.
I hope you have a lot of money to pay movers for futile quests, Don Quixote, since as previously noted the Internet scuttlebutt is that Millennium only delivered a few defective prototypes and NABI got the big order for 416s. Now, you could go to Pace West to drive the few Ikarus 416s that remain, but with Pace indicating that the poorly performing routes are gone in any event, they might not be in service too long either.

"To dream the impossible dream...."

I hope you have a lot of money to pay movers for futile quests, Don Quixote, since as previously noted the Internet scuttlebutt is that Millennium only delivered a few defective prototypes and NABI got the big order for 416s.

Not so fast! The New Internet Scuttlebutt is that Milennium is gearing up to build a 16-bus order for Beaumont, TX and is actively seeking new contracts. Let's see if they can pull it off.

Not so fast! The New Internet Scuttlebutt is that Milennium is gearing up to build a 16-bus order for Beaumont, TX and is actively seeking new contracts. Let's see if they can pull it off.

And let's see if qwantae wants to move there.

In any event 16 doesn't compare to the NJT order of 289 (and NABI eventually getting the order for 1000). It is hard to see how someone can maintain a craft shop and build buses on a profitable basis on that low scale. TMC, and Nova had reasons to get rid of the operation--it didn't make money, the demand isn't there on any large scale, except in NJ, and if there is any demand, there is competition from Orion, NABI, and Gillig to meet it.

I hope you have a lot of money to pay movers for futile quests, Don Quixote, since as previously noted the Internet scuttlebutt is that Millennium only delivered a few defective prototypes and NABI got the big order for 416s. Now, you could go to Pace West to drive the few Ikarus 416s that remain, but with Pace indicating that the poorly performing routes are gone in any event, they might not be in service too long either.

"To dream the impossible dream...."

Not Ikarus, I could go to Southwest Pace Division and drive the Nova Classics, otherwise Canada. Alot of Canada cities still operates Fishbowls and other buses such as Classics over 20 years of age and they still in Good condition. On other hand, I could buy one of those TMC's 4400s and use it as my personnal vehicle.

And let's see if qwantae wants to move there.

In any event 16 doesn't compare to the NJT order of 289 (and NABI eventually getting the order for 1000). It is hard to see how someone can maintain a craft shop and build buses on a profitable basis on that low scale. TMC, and Nova had reasons to get rid of the operation--it didn't make money, the demand isn't there on any large scale, except in NJ, and if there is any demand, there is competition from Orion, NABI, and Gillig to meet it.

Ohh YYYeesss!!!! I can move to Beaumont TX for that 16 bus order, if NJ Transit doesnt make it. I also love the Orions (All 4 types).

• 15 years later...