Chicago scrapyards?

RIPTA42

I can't speak for the CTA, but I do know that when Pace retires their buses, they normally go to the South Holland Acceptance Facility. From there they are sold or scrapped. When the NABI's came to Elgin, the old Orions were just parked at the Elgin Garage for quite awhile. Not all of the buses there were actually scrapped. I have seen a few on some of the contract carrier routes. They probably kept the best of the worst and replaced the worst of the worst. A lot of the Orions that were assigned to contract carriers were in pretty bad shape.

Probably vey few Pace buses are scrapped by Pace. If you look at sites like Hope Tunnel and cleanairbus.com, they are being used by a private operator in Brooklyn, and a lot of them are used by Robinson Transportation here, and, of course, we have the 13 sold to CTA. According to the numbers reported here and elsewhere, most of those apparently came from Joliet.

If you look at sites like Hope Tunnel...

I've seen that site before :D.

True, a lot of Pace Orion Is are finding life elsewhere. I think it's a testament to Pace's maintenance (and their running on routes with 30+ minute headways most of their lives), which is a stark contrast to CTA's.

I'd really like to find if there are any MAN Americanas left rotting away anywhere, specifically 4144. I heard that 4100 or 4101 is a yard goat at North Park, but haven't confirmed.

I believe all 361 M.A.N Americanas were assigned to the North Park Garage, so that would be your best bet to find 4144(unless it was totally scrapped prior to the retirement of the 4000's). What is so special about this particular bus, if you don't mind me asking?

Most were moved to 77th after being taken out of service last summer, and all but the aforementioned one are off the property.

I took this picture of 4144 while on vacation here from New York last March, got on, and sat down next to a cute girl. We got married three weeks ago :).

I'd also like to track down any remaining 4900s, since I don't have any photos of them.

I believe all 361 M.A.N Americanas were assigned to the North Park Garage.

No, they were assigned to K, 69, NP, and 103 (roughly in that order). Some were shifted to FG after the D901s were retired. 69 (now 74) and 103 lost them when enough 4400s and 6000s were reassigned to make them all accessible. Kedzie had theirs until some 7300s were shifted there after 103 and NP got some 7500s, and Kedzie's allocation of 7500s came after that.

Based on the number, 4144 probably was a 69 bus first, then shifted to NP (but I can't prove that).

Firstly, is there such a place as the Chicago Scrapyards ??

If so, where is it ??

Secondly, the 4000's came in Kedzie, the 4100's at 69th and North Park, the 4200's were at North Park and the 4300's were at 103rd. I believe the last of them were at Kedzie and run on La Salle Street (156). There may have been a lagger or 2 at North Park on the 145 and 146 routes. The arrival of the NABI's spelled the end of the MAN Americana.

It is possible that the Flyer work buses originate out of Archer. I have seen one or two early in the morning cruising northbound on Sacramento Ave near Chicago. So that would put them based either at Archer or Kedzie.

4144 at 69th and then North Park sounds like a winner.

Based on the contract opportunity pages on both the CTA and Pace websites, they do not scrap anything, but advertise the old buses for sale. However, the last time the CTA posted it was for proposals to scrap the buses, so they knew that they had junk (probably the 7300s). There are apparently FTA regulations on the method of disposal of equipment acquired with federal funds.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have not been there lately so I dont know if there is anything there. Everything is visible from the street and they have another yard on 93rd st east of Ewing av that is not fenced off so if there is something in it they are very visible. As for security I would not enter the property