Flyer D901...

Coming in on I-190 at the I-294 overpass tonight, I spotted a CTA Flyer D901 work bus sitting just west of Rosemont shops on the 190 WB parked with headlights on, engine running. Apparently CTA workers are making repairs to the Blue Line rail bridge over I-294. I was also watching the movie "Swordfish" today which has a chase with a Flyer D901, the bus has #9260 on the roof, any body have an idea what city that bus may have served? i

Coming in on I-190 at the I-294 overpass tonight, I spotted a CTA Flyer D901 work bus sitting just west of Rosemont shops on the 190 WB parked with headlights on, engine running. Apparently CTA workers are making repairs to the Blue Line rail bridge over I-294. I was also watching the movie "Swordfish" today which has a chase with a Flyer D901, the bus has #9260 on the roof, any body have an idea what city that bus may have served? i

I thought that bus would've been from Kedzie Garage as CTA or it could've been from San Francisco (MUNI) or Boston (MBTA) or maybe Winnipeg Canada. I miss those old school Buses.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe Kedzie, because last year I've saw few Flyer D901 buses sitting in the back of Kedzie Garage.

When I worked at Kedzie years ago they had work buses such as GMC fishbowls including #9400, but 9400 was kept in excellent condition. It only had a few seats removed. The last time I was there they had 1 Flyer D901 work bus assigned there. I believe theyre still assigned to Kedzie because Kedzie is a centralized garage accessible to all parts of the city.

Maybe it's just my love for these buses, but it hurts to see how the Ironworkers treat the Flyers. Many times that I've see them, they look like they were in a demolition derby(bumpers missing, dents all over, lights missing). That doesn't even mention the engine condition. I remember seeing WB-2 on Irving Park making a turn onto Lincoln SB. When the operator stepped on the gas a bright blue colored smoke came out of the exaust pipe and, being around a mechanics' shop for years, I could easily pick up the odor of oil being burnt by the engine. I just hope the bus at CHBM is being rebuilt to running condition again. I know a post on here said when the CTA gives away old buses, they cut the fluid lines(anti-freeze, oil, etc...) and run the bus until the motor seizes. :(

Maybe it's just my love for these buses, but it hurts to see how the Ironworkers treat the Flyers. Many times that I've see them, they look like they were in a demolition derby(bumpers missing, dents all over, lights missing). That doesn't even mention the engine condition. I remember seeing WB-2 on Irving Park making a turn onto Lincoln SB. When the operator stepped on the gas a bright blue colored smoke came out of the exaust pipe and, being around a mechanics' shop for years, I could easily pick up the odor of oil being burnt by the engine. I just hope the bus at CHBM is being rebuilt to running condition again. I know a post on here said when the CTA gives away old buses, they cut the fluid lines(anti-freeze, oil, etc...) and run the bus until the motor seizes. :(

CTA Flyer #1606 at CHBM is in pretty bad shape. From what Im told there are no plans to resurrect the bus.

I agree, It hurt me too about the Ironworkers. Those were my favorite type of flyer and I was felt bad that they werent no A/C or Wheelchair lift installed in it.

• 2 months later...

What's the quickest way to get there on the CTA from Michigan and Randolph?
Take the Red Line to 79th, then 1 block west and 1 block north. Google Transit directions (for what its worth). You'll probably have to look through the chain link fence with slats in it.

I remember when there were 2 7412s on the property, but the one in the Perry yard turned out to be WB-7412 (a new look).

I went to 77th today and took pics of 6 Flyers and a messed-up New Look. Go to

http://web.mac.com/danreiner/iWeb/Site%202...20Pictures.html

Click the second button at the top of the site. You'll see pics. Also, on a very unrelated topic, I realized that in the CTA's accessible services brochure, there is a picture of a driver smiling in a Flxible - but in the background there's a New Look with the green scheme that the MANs and Flyers had.

I went to 77th today and took pics of 6 Flyers and a messed-up New Look. Go to

http://web.mac.com/danreiner/iWeb/Site%202...20Pictures.html

Click the second button at the top of the site. You'll see pics. Also, on a very unrelated topic, I realized that in the CTA's accessible services brochure, there is a picture of a driver smiling in a Flxible - but in the background there's a New Look with the green scheme that the MANs and Flyers had.

In some of your pics, Flxible #5473 is visible in the 77th yard. Ironically, I saw bus #5473 on routes #66, #76, and #X54 this past summer (2007) when it was assigned to Chicago Garage. Later, #5473 was included in the batch of 5300s that were sent from Chicago to 103rd, which led to my sighting of #5473 working route #X28 in Hyde Park in October 2007. Too bad it's been put out of service because of the delivery of 1000s to 103rd Garage.

In some of your pics, Flxible #5473 is visible in the 77th yard. Ironically, I saw bus #5473 on routes #66, #76, and #X54 this past summer (2007) when it was assigned to Chicago Garage. Later, #5473 was included in the batch of 5300s that were sent from Chicago to 103rd, which led to my sighting of #5473 working route #X28 in Hyde Park in October 2007. Too bad it's been put out of service because of the delivery of 1000s to 103rd Garage.

I just cannot believe that I've seen bunch of TMCs 4400s in the 77th yard for scrap even that #4540 with that Fox TV wrap, I was crying my tears out, And I was pretty shocked that I've seen Flyers D901 that had just recently ran for work bus, but Im happy that an 4900 TMC Narrow is operating for a work bus as a survivor.