CTA Abandoned Stations

qwantae

On 12/24/2022 at 5:37 PM, Bus1883 said:

Million dollar question is will they end up demolishing the California, Central & Kostner stations during the phases of the Forest Park branch reconstruction?

I think so.  They removed the covering from the ramp at the California station.  None of these 3 stations are ADA compliant and California and Central  have nearby Green Line and Pink Line stations with a nearby Pink Line station at Kostner.  They could include the cost of demolition as part of the rebuild.  Those were low use stations which is why they were closed soon after opening. 

3 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Not at all the Cali they could reopen its ADA friendly where they central stop now 

California is NOT ADA compliant.  Neither is Ravine. Western   Pulaski, Cicero, Austin, Oak Park,  or Harlem.   For one, the station houses are too small.  Also the ramps from the station house to the platform are too narrow.  If you look at the ramps at UIC Halsted, IMD, and Kedzie-Hpman, you'll see the ramps are wider.  CTA can't just reopen the stations unless they are rebuilt to be ADA accessible.   For Kostner and Central, that would require building a new station house with an elevator.

Racine will be rebuilt into be ADA accessible.   Plams include new stairs and probably an elevator at the Racine entrance.  Perhaps the Loomis entrance will get an ADA compliant ramp and the Loomis station house will possibly be renovated to accept accessible passengers. 

5 hours ago, artthouwill said:

For Kostner and Central, that would require building a new station house with an elevator.

Kostner was a waste of money & never should've been built, as it's just a couple of blocks from the Pulaski or Cicero entrances.  It was a stupid fill in station, added years after the original Congress Line was built.

My guess is some alderman got a bribe from some contractors & then somehow forced the CTA to build it.  It's been closed for years & should be demolished as it will never, ever reopen!

3 hours ago, strictures said:

Kostner was a waste of money & never should've been built, as it's just a couple of blocks from the Pulaski or Cicero entrances.  It was a stupid fill in station, added years after the original Congress Line was built.

My guess is some alderman got a bribe from some contractors & then somehow forced the CTA to build it.  It's been closed for years & should be demolished as it will never, ever reopen!

I agree.  Yet California, Kostner, Central, and the Racine station on the Green Line remain standing even though they are closed.  I believe the Green Line 58th St station was the last station to be demolished, excluding the RPM.  Perhaps CTA is looking for someone else to foot the bill to demolush these stations.  Perhaps CTA can include the cost of demolishing these Blue Line stations when securing funding for rebiilding the Forest Park branch. 

On 12/27/2022 at 12:00 AM, artthouwill said:

California is NOT ADA compliant.  Neither is Ravine. Western   Pulaski, Cicero, Austin, Oak Park,  or Harlem.   For one, the station houses are too small.  Also the ramps from the station house to the platform are too narrow.  If you look at the ramps at UIC Halsted, IMD, and Kedzie-Hpman, you'll see the ramps are wider.  CTA can't just reopen the stations unless they are rebuilt to be ADA accessible.   For Kostner and Central, that would require building a new station house with an elevator.

Racine will be rebuilt into be ADA accessible.   Plams include new stairs and probably an elevator at the Racine entrance.  Perhaps the Loomis entrance will get an ADA compliant ramp and the Loomis station house will possibly be renovated to accept accessible passengers. 

Yew right I didn't then about the elevator for em but Yew they not cause they don't want to spend that money