Where are the 2700s going?

Busjack

So where are numbers 2711-? going to go?
Again, I think it is fair to open a thread speculating on that, especially since there have been reports by our reliable Pace spotters (jesi, trainman, and me) of seeing them around, including in the NW Division. Remember, this is guessing. The one thing I was correct in predicting is that the Highland Park 6600s would go to North Shore, although most of them apparently have moved on from there.

I throw the following considerations:

• North Shore has proven that it really doesn't need a 40 foot bus, by apparently running 2600s at random on some routes, such as 422 and 423. At the same time, while 2600s were also seen on some Shuttles, such as 623, and 624, 40 foot buses have also been seen there.
  • The Wheaton contract proposal says that that contractor will get some 2600s. Of course, that proposal was premised on cutting the low performing routes (such as 707/713) in any event, while retaining some feeders (674 in Lombard). Perhaps a question for CTA5750 if he knows how his employer works: How can a contractor bid on a contract that is in a state of flux?
  • The last I knew, there were still a few 2000s hanging out in DuPage and McHenry Counties, but not really in productive use.
  • Some shifts of 6200s from North Shore or Joliet could finally force the retirement of the 2200s (13 left according to the Pace budget).
  • The 2700s could replace some of the 35 foot Orion Is.

O.K. have at it. Please distinguish speculation, garage rumor, inside information, and actual sightings.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We are up to 2752 now.
More grist for this mill. This is starting to make me believe that there might also be a push to start replacing the 2292-2378 series Orion Is, given again that North Shore doesn't need many full size buses, and there can't be a need for that many feeders (even if the doomsday threat to kill them all is off for now).

I dont know we are spending money on 200+ 30 ft buses for it just crazy.

This picture from the Tribune may illustrate the point: a 40 foot bus (your favorite kind :lol: ) on a route that has been threatened with elimination for the past 2-1/2 years. No need for it there, give them a 30 foot one.

This picture from the Tribune may illustrate the point: a 40 foot bus (your favorite kind :lol: ) on a route that has been threatened with elimination for the past 2-1/2 years. No need for it there, give them a 30 foot one.

Although I agree with you that that route doesn't need a 40 footer (probably never did, even in it's heyday), but with Pace's love of interlining, it probably comes from or goes to a route that needs one. Not necessarily the best dispatching of equipment, but probably a reasonable explanation.

Having seen operations on that route, I doubt that there is interlining. Around Lake and Milwaukee you can see the EB Out of Service buses and WB To Garage ones. The expensive thing there is that some NW runs end in Lincolnwood, which is obviously closer to NS. The bus in the picture was a NS one.

More grist for this mill. This is starting to make me believe that there might also be a push to start replacing the 2292-2378 series Orion Is, given again that North Shore doesn't need many full size buses, and there can't be a need for that many feeders (even if the doomsday threat to kill them all is off for now).

Northwest can definitely not replace their 2200s/2300s with 2700s. Some of Pace's most heaviest ridership routes run out of Northwest, so how could 2700s run on routes #270, #290, #223, #208, and #250. They wouldn't be able to, the 2700s would be misused. North Shore, however, can replace their 2200s/2300s with more 2700s as none of their routes have any heavy ridership and so can the Academy/Pace Operations.

Northwest can definitely not replace their 2200s/2300s with 2700s. Some of Pace's most heaviest ridership routes run out of Northwest, so how could 2700s run on routes #270, #290, #223, #208, and #250.
Not on those routes, but probably on most others, such as 209, 226, 230, 234, 240, 241, and 690, and NW's portions of 210, 422 and 423. Having about 80 6000s, those can cover the heavy routes.

Trainman will probably mention that 240 and 241 are interlined with 270, so maybe not them.

Another quoted portion of your last statement is also incorrect, as 5 of the top 10 are covered in the South Cook study. The only NW one reported to make that list is 290. I could also see 270 and 223, but that's about it.

1st Pace doesnt know how to run there buses anymore. Why wolud u buy 30 ft buses to replace 40ft buses when ridership is hign now. What we need are bigger buses not smaller buses. There want to send some to south. What are there going to do run 5 for them in a row on the 352? Pace is just getting more dum by the day. There will be out of there mine to replace any orion we have left. There are great buses and the two we have work day in and day out.

Why wolud u buy 30 ft buses to replace 40ft buses when ridership is hign now.
As noted, ridership is not high on many north suburban routes. I can't speak for South. Do you have any inside information on where the 2700s are going and how much of the option was exercised?

Also, as stated at the top:

Please distinguish speculation, garage rumor, inside information, and actual sightings.

As I said, I haven't been there in a couple of months, but based on experience:

• Downers Grove: their own Gilligs, or some Ikarus buses bought from Pace and painted with a Downers Grove green stripe. I saw on the Pace contract award page that a contract was awarded to replace them with paratransit vehicles, but unless those are "off the lot" items, it probably will be a couple of months.
  • Lisle: Mostly former Aurora 6600s (6615-6623, 6652, 6676) and 2272s (2272, 2283, 2286-2288, 2291), and, as mentioned, maybe a 2000 on 827. Those buses would also be on other routes on the Laidlaw-Westmont contract (such as Clarendon Hills).
  • Wheaton: 2292 series Orions (and maybe 2273) on the fixed routes, such as 711 to Stratford Sq. and 715. There used to be 2500s on the feeder routes, but the last time I was there, there were school buses. The proposed contract for the Wheaton area says 2600s on the remaining feeders, but that hasn't been awarded yet.

Also, to cover any of these areas, you have to be there right before the train comes; the buses load and leave. Check the Pace schedules.

Didn't you say that you saw 2703 in Wheaton on 714?

• 4 weeks later...