Pace Orions at Academy...

Today at Academy I spotted Pace 35ft Orion #2289 in the yard. It was sitting over by the shops area.

Where was that bus assigned? NW or North Shore? I looked around the yard to see if any other buses might have arrived along with #2289. When I got back this evening #2289 was in the yard being driven around. I dont know if it wil be assigned to us yet. I dont want to jump the gun this time. The last time this happened we had #2303 for a couple days from NW and then a couple days later I see it go past my house on the #270 Milwaukee. Right now we have three Orions out of service, so it looks like we would need more equipment from other divisions. We do not have spares at Academy.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was in Elgin until 2003, then was in Lisle for a while, then out of sight. Conversely, at some point 2286 was on 326, then ended up in Lisle. However, the swap was not contemporaneous.

If Pace doesn't assign spares, are you missing runs?

It was in Elgin until 2003, then was in Lisle for a while, then out of sight. Conversely, at some point 2289 was on 326, then ended up in Lisle. However, the swap was not contemporaneous.

If Pace doesn't assign spares, are you missing runs?

I dont know, I would imagine so because when a bus would break down there were no spares according to dispatch. But we'll see what happens. Maybe we are getting some more Orions. Like I said I dont want to jump the gun, Ill check tomorrow.

Today I reported to work at Academy and I spotted Pace 35ft Orion #2289 in the yard. It was sitting over by the shops area.

Where was that bus assigned? NW or North Shore? I looked around the yard to see if any other buses might have arrived along with #2289. When I got back this evening #2289 was in the yard being driven around. I dont know if it wil be assigned to us yet. I dont want to jump the gun this time. The last time this happened we had #2303 for a couple days from NW and then a couple days later I see it go past my house on the #270 Milwaukee. Right now we have three Orions sitting out of service, so it looks like we would need more equipment from other divisions. Pace does not assign spares to Academy.

I saw bus #2289 on #270 on October 24th. So I can conclude that it was assigned to Northwest until now.

I saw bus #2289 on #270 on October 24th. So I can conclude that it was assigned to Northwest until now.

Would make sense that it would come from Northwest, since they have been receiving 2700's. They would be able to move the 35 footer out, since the 2700's would probably cover any lower ridership routes and then the 2200 would be expendable.

Would make sense that it would come from Northwest, since they have been receiving 2700's. They would be able to move the 35 footer out, since the 2700's would probably cover any lower ridership routes and then the 2200 would be expendable.
Possibly, although I saw 2290 on 210 on Friday, so it was still at NW, even though a 2700 took over its duties on 694. But maybe you'll see it next week.

Possibly, although I saw 2290 on 210 on Friday, so it was still at NW, even though a 2700 took over its duties on 694. But maybe you'll see it next week.

If we get #2289 then Im sure we will be assigned more buses. I wish we would get a couple of MCI Classics to make this even more interesting.

If we get #2289 then Im sure we will be assigned more buses. I wish we would get a couple of MCI [actually Nova] Classics to make this even more interesting.
On the Nova Classic front, 3 were on the Shuttle Bug routes, where they make no sense.

On the Nova Classic front, 3 were on the Shuttle Bug routes, where they make no sense.

Maybe another equipment change is on the move. Ive even heard rumors that the Orion low floors might make it to Academy I hope to god they dont! I hate the Orion Low floors! If the old Orions end up being replaced with the Orion low floors I dont plan to continue to work there. I am not a fan of those buses. I would stay there though if the Classics came to us. I could see 2378 coming to us if 2289 is there. One question, why is 2378 by itself? You have the 40ft. Orions numbered up to #2377 and then the Nova Classics begin at #2379 why is 35ft Orion #2378 in between? Was that a special bus?

Pace has always had oddballs like that. 2453 is similar (one 40 footer after a series of 35 footers). There are also the mysterious 6156-6161, which appeared after the 6162s. Why, I don't know. Maybe that is why Pace now has separate series based on size (6000/6600/6900/2600) rather than manufacturer (6162 NABIs are tacked onto 6000 Orions).

For Academy to get Orion low floors, there would need to be evidence that SW, W, or NW doesn't need them, but then you would more likely get 2300s from NW than their 6000s. I still think that overflow from SW or W would be used to retire the remaining Ikarus buses.

Sence CTA5750 said there are three Orions out of service could 2378 also be sent if 2290 does in order to fill the gap?

Heres the story, Pace #2289 is now part of Academy's fleet and I just found out this morning we will be getting also Orion #2290.

Wow! what a day yesterday.

Spotted Pace Nova #2399 at Rosemont on the 332 Route. Saw CTA Nabi Artic 7559 being towed to god knows where. One of the new El Dorados #2707 was spotted leaving Rosemont on the 230 Route.

Wow! what a day yesterday.

Spotted Pace Nova #2399 at Rosemont on the 332 Route. Saw CTA Nabi Artic 7559 being towed to god knows where. One of the new El Dorados #2707 was spotted leaving Rosemont on the 230 Route.

It's becoming more and more usual to spot a 2700 on a Northwest low ridership route. They've basically been seen on every Northwest route- discluding #208, #223, #226, #250, and #270. I've personally only seen a 2700 on route #209 at Harlem Blue Line a week ago.

Spotted 2289 running on the #616 this morning!

Well I had the pleasure of driving #2289 friday. Very nice bus! I had Run #22. This run started with a trip on the #606 from Rosemont to NWTC/Schaumburg and back. Then it turned into a #326 to Norridge and back to Rosemont. I then did a #616 to Itasca Metra and then pullin. Once I pulled into the Colonial yard on Busse Rd. I found #2290 parked in the yard. I parked the buses side by side. I really like the look of the 35 ft. Orions, its a noticably shorter bus, it ran very nice, Pace NW really took good care of this bus. Maybe they will send us #2378 later. I was originally suppose to have #2374 but it had a problem with the front doors. Once I notified my supervisor he tells me "take the new bus then" I wanted to take photographs but I didnt have a chance and the sunlight wasant where I wanted it.

2289 and 2290 got there mid lifes at bus and truck about a year ago.

#2289 drove very well. Right now at Academy Orion #2376 and 2308 are sitting dead. And I found another plain white Orion on the property, exPace #8896. I found out we are suppose to have 5 spares but we dont have them for some reason. I think we will get #2378 too. #2289 inside still has the code list for Aurora routes. So last tuesday was the first day for #2289 at Academy but it didnt actually enter service until wed. because it did not have a bus farecard machine and #2290 arrived thur.

• 2 months later...

Today I had the opportunity to visit Pace Southwest Division in Bridgeview. This morning I was asked by my supervisor at Academy to take Orion #2307 with a driver down to Pace Southwest to pick up Orion #2374 which was sent down there for a cracked tranny. We arrived around 10am. I had some time to look around so I got to see all the Orion VI and my favs, Nova Classics #2379-2389. I jumped inside #2383 to have a look, it was my first time sitting in the seat of a Nova Classic. I wanted to leave #2307 there and bring back a Nova! :) Pace Southwest is a nice garage, not very big but it is well kept and clean. My co-driver and I then saddled up both buses, taking I-294 and returned to Academy, It was a fun trip. :)

• 4 weeks later...