Pace Orions at Academy...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is a "shuttle bug" route?

"Shuttle Bug" routes are Pace routes serving Metra Rail stations to certain businesses in the area. Shuttle Bugs north operate out of Pace North Shore in Evanston usually using small 30ft buses.

What is a "shuttle bug" route?

Shuttle Bugs are Pace routes that were created with CMAQ money to serve businesses along the North Shore between said businesses and Metra train stations (mostly Lake Cook Road). Riders get a discounted fare and shuttle between the train station and the specific company the route serves.

Shuttle Bugs are Pace routes that were created with CMAQ money to serve businesses along the North Shore between said businesses and Metra train stations (mostly Lake Cook Road). Riders get a discounted fare and shuttle between the train station and the specific company the route serves.

Would those be "charter" runs as it serves employees and businesses rather than the general public?

Would those be "charter" runs as it serves employees and businesses rather than the general public?

In my book in the strictest terms, it should be, but I am sure there are many legal loopholes which make it not considered charter service, one of which assigning a route number to the service. This was one of the ways the CTA has made the shuttles from the train stations to Soldier Field and the 154 Wrigley Field express, which serves as a shuttle between De Vry and Wrigley, legal. See this from Busjack in another post.

No, you can ride one (if you want to get off at some place on Lake Cook Road and you won't have a way back) if you pay $1. Also, they all started with federal grants, so they can't be charter buses. In fact, 627 is still on a federal grant (and thus was exempted from the doomsday threat).

• 1 year later...

Was 2307 acquired for parts, or is Academy short a bus?

Thats a good question. Ill have to get to you on that one. Things change everyday there. The bus still sits in that spot, it hasant been towed away or any other parts taken out of it. It can be re-equipped with the spare buses we have being parted out. The bus is on the active board in the dispatch office.

Thats a good question. Ill have to get to you on that one. Things change everyday there. The bus still sits in that spot, it hasant been towed away or any other parts taken out of it. It can be re-equipped with the spare buses we have being parted out. The bus is on the active board in the dispatch office.

How many left and what units of Orions at Academy active?

Active #2289,2290,2301,2326,2374

Currently Disabled #2293,2307.

So are 2293 and 2307 considered "active" by Pace or are they awaiting pickup or something? I assume the rest of the fleet is still NABI 35-LFW since i'm sure you would let us know if something different came in.

So are 2293 and 2307 considered "active" by Pace or are they awaiting pickup or something? I assume the rest of the fleet is still NABI 35-LFW since i'm sure you would let us know if something different came in.

So far the two buses are still active through Pace. Yes, a majority of our fleet at Academy are the NABI 35ft LFW.

I know the route has grown some but back in '90's route used to run with 8000-8100 new looks by CW transportation.

To put this in maybe a better thread:

The difference is that a GMC 4523 was so designated because they typically had 45 seats. A 6600, while also a 35 footer, has 27. People don't want to stand on an expressway bus route.

To put this in maybe a better thread:

The difference is that a GMC 4523 was so designated because they typically had 45 seats. A 6600, while also a 35 footer, has 27. People don't want to stand on an expressway bus route.

The reality is the 6600s are now the norm on the 606 route. Morning trips will have on occasion a standing load. a couple of afternoon inbound trips will have the same situation.

• 1 month later...

Its been awhile since I've taken the 600, but how's the capacity on this route with the 35 footers?

The Nabis on the #600 are sufficient. Theres never standing loads on that route, even a 30 footer can handle it. Not that I would want them!. :)

Here is a picture of 2293@NWTC(07-02-09),so I'm guessing it is back on the active list.

Yeah, I never updated it. Orion #2293 was brought back to service just recently as about 2 weeks ago.

The #606 is almost all short buses, all our 40ft buses are dwindling. Orion #2307 from what I was told by my supervisor and other drivers, is gone.

Here is a picture of 2293@NWTC(07-02-09),so I'm guessing it is back on the active list.

I see the route number on back of it (#699), wondering what the heck is that big ol bus doing on that route? Should it be on #606. Or maybe the driver is a big fan of that bus that he requested it for #699 run.

But remember the 600 interlines with the 606, so asking for a shorty on this route means asking for a shorty on a 606.

Ohh yeah, I remember one time last year that I've rode #2307 on 600 from NWTC to get to Woodfield Mall while that darn NABI was on #606 at the time, so I decided to take the 600 with #2374, then once I got to at NWTC, I see the driver changed it to #606 then went to Woodfield Corp. then went to Woodfield Mall and got off. It was a awesome quiet ride. It was only 3 of us passengers.

Ohh yeah, I remember one time last year that I've rode #2307 on 600 from NWTC to get to Woodfield Mall while that darn NABI was on #606 at the time, so I decided to take the 600 with #2374, then once I got to at NWTC, I see the driver changed it to #606 then went to Woodfield Corp. then went to Woodfield Mall and got off. It was a awesome quiet ride. It was only 3 of us passengers.

They will assign a 40 footer to #699, Ive driven them a few times on this route in the past. I have pics in #2307 on the #699 from a while back. Also, I once broke down on #699 (fuel Leak) in a Nabi, not surprising! :) and my replacement was Orion #2372. A lot of our buses at Academy are assigned to certain drivers. Im one of the few who drive them all sincve I work as an extra. The bus operators who work assigned runs will be assigned the same bus everyday, unless it is down for maintenance or other reason. Seems quite a few here ride the NW sub routes, particularly the #606. Look me up, by golly you guys can take as many pics as you want while on the bus or at a layover. Busfans are always welcome on my bus! :)