Legislative Update

Kevin

The House is currently debating the governor's gas tax bill (SB307).

4:29pm: The gas tax bill has passed, 66-49-0.

6:16pm: The House is now debating the sales tax bill (SB572).

7:05pm: The sales tax bill has passed, 63-52-1.

7:07pm: The House has adjourned.

I'll update this post when there's news. You can also watch/listen for yourself at General Assembly web site.

I'm watching the Legislative session right now and the bill to divert gas tax revenues received from Cook county and the collar counties to the RTA just passed in the House 61-49. Now to see if the bill to raise the sales tax by a quarter percent passes. This is the bill I'm more comfortable with. Either way, maybe, just maybe, doomsday can be avoided for a good long while. There is some small margin of hope still to keep our service intact. There are a few members who are concerned about the bigger hole in the state budget when it's time for the next budget. I say a good way to start is to give back all the raises they been giving themselves and the governor during all the years Blago has been in office. They've been crying we're broke during all that time so give back the raises to their already bloated salaries that they don't deserve.

Did the bill at least go through, despite :angry: Rep. Black :angry:, or is it back to the drawing board? It sounds at least to me that it went through.

Yes, SB307 passed. I believe they're going to vote on SB572 (sales tax bill) shortly.

Also, I have to say that Rep. Black brought up some good points. SB307 is an irresponsible bill compared to SB572.

Yes, SB307 passed. I believe they're going to vote on SB572 (sales tax bill) shortly.

Also, I have to say that Rep. Black brought up some good points. SB307 is an irresponsible bill compared to SB572.

Right. I want public transit to be saved, but I'm not interested in hurting the rest of the state to do it. That's why I prefer SB572. It's a regional solution which is what the downstaters say they want but because it's a sales tax increase some of them still balk at it. I don't understand the logic in that stance when they've been clamoring for a regional solution to what they still call a "Chicago problem." If the increase is not affecting them why not support SB572. We're not asking for the money to come from their pockets, but our own when it comes to this bill. And regardless of the hardship or burden stated by Blago and other naysayers (which is really nonexistent when it comes to how much actually comes from our pockets), it is the more responsible way to go to save public transit in our area. Now it's time to stop playing the political games that have been played for the past year and get it done.

SB572 just passed. Now it's up to the Senate. The House is adjourned until 11am tomorrow. Things are looking a little better than they did before. Let's hope the Senate and the governor now show some sense now that the ball is in their court. Hopefully SB572 comes out on top since that is a longterm solution and more fiscally responsible

It's just been reported on ABC7 news that SB572 fell one vote short in the Senate. Three Democratic leaders didn't vote so it could be recalled for a vote tomorrow. Plus the governor is still saying it's not the bill he prefers and that he's set to use his amendatory veto to make 'improvements'. So I suppose we'll see what happens tomorrow.

It's just been reported on ABC7 news that SB572 fell one vote short in the Senate. Three Democratic leaders didn't vote so it could be recalled for a vote tomorrow. Plus the governor is still saying it's not the bill he prefers and that he's set to use his amendatory veto to make 'improvements'. So I suppose we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Channel 9 said that the Senate voted on its own bill. So, it is not clear whether the two houses are acting at cross purposes. Neither 7 nor 9 considered the Senate vote much of a setback.

Channel 9 said that the Senate voted on its own bill. So, it is not clear whether the two houses are acting at cross purposes. Neither 7 nor 9 considered the Senate vote much of a setback.

When I watched channel 7, they mentioned that the bill voted on would have raised the sales tax by .25% giving the impression that it was the sales tax bill.

When I watched channel 7, they mentioned that the bill voted on would have raised the sales tax by .25% giving the impression that it was the sales tax bill.

It was a similar bill but not actually SB572 itself. I'm not sure what, if any, changes were in the Senate bill.

Update: The bill voted on by the Senate was HB656.

The Senate is now debating their sales tax bill, HB656.

1:16pm: Sen. Hendon, in a fiery speech, says he will demand Blagojevich signs the bill.

1:24pm: The bill has passed, 30-25-1.

1:27pm: The Senate is standing at ease until paperwork gets to the House. The bill will head to the House for concurrence and then to the Governor's desk.

1:30pm: The bill has now been sent to the House and placed on the order of concurrence. The House is expected to vote later today.

1:42pm: The House is now motioning to concur. Difference from SB572: All five collar counties can, at their discretion, use their sales tax increase revenue for public safety.

2:06pm: The House has concurred, 62-51-1. Mass transit is now in the hands of Governor Blagojevich.

1:42pm: The House is now motioning to concur. Difference from SB572: All five collar counties can, at their discretion, use their sales tax increase revenue for public safety.

[

What this sounds like to me is that the locals pulled a fast one to support the CTA and only the CTA. With the collar counties having that option, that could put the screws to Pace (on a grand scale) and to a lesser extent Metra (I still don't believe that they are in true crisis mode...just there with their hands out). And, should Blago do any kind of veto, there is no where near the votes to override anything. Also, is this something that appears to be aimed at the Governor, should it fail, as the bad guy???

What this sounds like to me is that the locals pulled a fast one to support the CTA and only the CTA. With the collar counties having that option, that could put the screws to Pace (on a grand scale) and to a lesser extent Metra (I still don't believe that they are in true crisis mode...just there with their hands out). And, should Blago do any kind of veto, there is no where near the votes to override anything. Also, is this something that appears to be aimed at the Governor, should it fail, as the bad guy???
It isn't the mess you fear.

Although I haven't been able to trace the bill that actually passed, the idea of the original bill was that the collar county tax was going to be raised .50% (while the Cook County tax was to be raised .25% and a real estate transfer tax imposed in Chicago to pay for the CTA pension bonds). .25% of the collar county tax would go to transit, and the other .25% would go to the county boards directly, to be spent on any transportation use. The only difference being portrayed is that out of the second .25%, the county board can also spend it on police, which is apparently what DuPage wanted.

There was a debate on the late Sick Transit Chicago blog on whether a transit bill should include the back door .25% tax increase for county purposes. However, to get DuPage county votes, apparently the answer is yes.

Also, any amendatory veto would be similar to the one on the 7% tax cap. The legislature could, by simple majority, just accept the amendment. If it doesn't it would take 3/5th to repass the bill as originally enacted (Ill. Constitution Art 4 sec. 9). In the tax cap situation it did the latter. However, from what I heard, and the above post states, the gov's amendment has to do with free senior citizens' rides, not a deal breaker. However, if it was so important, he could have proposed it without going through this b.s.

For that matter, why did the house have to pass two bills, when it was concurrence with the bill in the senate that finally passed? I also don't understand why each house stripped another's bill on another subject to engraft its transit bill.

I reserve the right to revise my remarks on seeing the final Public Act posted and having the time to review it.

I also note on those of you playing psychic that the Pace route description pages have a legend by each route description about how it was going to change effective January 20, such as "****EFFECTIVE JANUARY 20, 2008, BASE FARE WILL INCREASE TO $2.00; SATURDAY SERVICE WILL BE ELIMINATED; WEEKDAY SERVICE AFTER 7 PM WILL BE ELIMINATED - THE LAST EVENING TRIPS WILL BE AS FOLLOWS: WEEKDAY NORTHBOUND 6:00pm FROM...; WEEKDAY SOUTHBOUND 6:40pm FROM ... TO ..." I also noted that some routes would be short turned at 7 p.m. Let's see how long those warnings stay.

However, from what I heard, and the above post states, the gov's amendment has to do with free senior citizens' rides, not a deal breaker.

What does this do to Paratransit, as a great deal of those seniors who will get free rides use this service. Will this create an additional money crunch (oh, boy, here comes the next crisis) or will this proposal be limited to fixed route service. My first inclination about Paratransit is (limited to) ADA...but you do have a large segment who is senior and ADA.

However, if it was so important, he could have proposed it without going through this b.s.

Yeah, no kidding. I think he just did something to save face. As I thought, he did not have the cahonies to go through on his threat (to veto the tax increase) and basically pulled a politician and did an about face.

Will this create an additional money crunch (oh, boy, here comes the next crisis) or will this proposal be limited to fixed route service.

The free transit is limited to fixed routes:

The Governor’s amendatory veto will require transit agencies statewide to allow senior citizens, aged 65 and older, to use main line and fixed route public transit service for free.

The Governor has issued an amendatory veto on the bill requiring free transit to senior citizens statewide. However, he is going to let the tax increase stand.

The bill now goes back to the House and Senate for further consideration.

How does this help transit funding? With free rides to all Senior Citizens, that means that the CTA will have to jump fares to at least $4.00 or more just to make up the difference in lost revenue...

To cover lost revenue due to Seniors getting free rides, here's what I think passes will be most likely costing us now if this is approved(I work where we sell CTA passes)

1-Day: $10

2-Day: $18

3-Day: $20

5-Day: $25

7-Day: $30

30-Day: $105

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a Doomsday for sure now!!!

Countdown: 10 Days

The state's history is that it reimburses the transit authorities for senior and student fares. Hence, the hole is in the state budget.

It seems like the writers here are willing to jump at anything. Calm down until you see the final Act.

The state's history is that it reimburses the transit authorities for senior and student fares. Hence, the hole is in the state budget.

It seems like the writers here are willing to jump at anything. Calm down until you see the final Act.

You may very well be right. However, from where I sit, the death clock continues to run.

Right as reported on the news, the buses will keep running with this added bonus for seniors. So let's not jump the gun. As everyone says doomsday is over.

Right as reported on the news, the buses will keep running with this added bonus for seniors. So let's not jump the gun. As everyone says doomsday is over.

It isn't over until the House and Senate actually act on the governor's veto, either to pass it as amended or override the veto and pass the original.

Given the history of this whole process, I wouldn't yet count these chickens before they hatch.

Someone should tell that to ABC "Done deal" 7.

True. But I'm trying to stay optimistic since this is closer than they've ever been before in this whole process. Plus I'm thinking those in the General Assembly are starting to remember that the primaries apply to them as well next month. They don't want this to drag on too long and get any closer to Feb. 5 if they can help it.