Fishbowl questions

BusHunter

Yeah on the front two passenger windows. Examining the photo closer it can be seen that in at least the third passenger window, the black framing and possibly the tint of the window were gone. So appears we may both be right on the windows since it looks like it had a mix of windows by the time it was to get scrapped. And if you have good enough eyes you can see that the bus had a roll sign upon retirement and not the flip dot one it once had since I know of no electronic signs beyond the LEDs on the 5000s that can display in Helvetica font. So the statement that sw made that the bus was basically unchanged is false.

Yeah, but that's only because the entire window (including frame) was changed out. The statement you made that untinted windows existed with black frames was false. You're right on the rollsigns, but they used to be flip dot. I remember #9973, #9898 and #9822 having those same signs, but they all were eventually changed out over the years. Anyone have any idea when #9974 was modded this way? I can trace it back as far as 1990-91 around the time it went to 77th from FG when the #5400 Flx's showed up. Funny I can't seem to remember it in the old green livery modded out. I wonder if it ever existed that way in a modded fashion? Strange enough #9532 showed up around the same time in it's rebuilt state, but I remember it was after #9974 was modded.

• 6 years later...

Andre, this may be for you....something I have wondered over time. Grew up in 69th, 77th garage territory and saw certain GM buses 1081, 7606, 7647 7741 (possibly 7431, 7656 and a couple in the 9000-9599 group) delivered with mid- shift marker lights on both sides of the bus, which were yellow instead of red. I'm referring to the marker lights over the left-side center window and the right-side rear exit doors. They appeared to have the yellow lens normally used on turn signals. With those, the bus could be seen for blocks at night. I always thought it was a cool "oddity" which set them apart from other buses in their respective series. They retained the feature for the life of the vehicle, through the "Ultimate Fleet Maintenance" rehabs. I don't recall any in the 9600-9799 group and I have never found any posts or notes on them. Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

301 was another prototype rebuild, at SS circa 1982. 3542 was redone at the same time, but for some reason was soon retired. The rebuild was again found to be not cost effective and no more were done. This was all in an era when CTA was trying to figure out if they could avoid buying new buses by rebuilding old ones.