Blue Line Breakdown

sw4400

It's stuff like this that scares me from taking the Blue Line anywhere... This was the result of a vintage 1969 Budd Train breaking down in the subway. I really don't like being on these trains for this reason... their age is against them. You can rehab them a million times, but the point is they are tired and need to be retired soon!

Clip from a Tribune article:

The trouble started just after 8 a.m., when a train manufactured in 1969 suddenly stopped in the subway just short of the Clark/Lake station, blocking three southbound trains, Huberman said.

Actual Link to article:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/c...1,5835237.story

I'm not trying to blame the passengers, but the situation was further complicated by passengers self evacuating instead of waiting for instructions from personnel. Yes the CTA could have done a much better job of communicating the problem, but if I don't know what's going on as a passenger in that situation, I'm not going to go wandering around outside the train further endangering myself in light of the fact that with that many people wandering about there's a chance of falling onto the electrified tracks.

It's stuff like this that scares me from taking the Blue Line anywhere... This was the result of a vintage 1969 Budd Train breaking down in the subway. I really don't like being on these trains for this reason... their age is against them. You can rehab them a million times, but the point is they are tired and need to be retired soon!

Clip from a Tribune article:

The trouble started just after 8 a.m., when a train manufactured in 1969 suddenly stopped in the subway just short of the Clark/Lake station, blocking three southbound trains, Huberman said.

Actual Link to article:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/c...1,5835237.story

A few problems with all of this. First of all, so many people refer to "conductor". The CTA, in a foolish, though perhaps cost saving (???) move eliminated that position years ago. Had conductors been on the train instead of silly automated announcements, there was a chance that the communication would likely have been better. Time and time again, all of this automated stuff is never pointed as a cause in "lack of communication". I will not hold a motorman (or nowadays operator) responsible for any of this "lack of communication". This person has to find the problem, and is probably hounded on 19 fronts from passengers and the "communications center", in addition to address the problem itself. Huberman's statement that the "vintage 1969 cars just stopped working" is hogwash too. Although this series may have been the bad car, I am sure this was an 8 car train, and I am also sure that there were at least 4 2600 Budd's in the consist. One bad car usually does not shut down a whole train (Again, all speculation). Comments about older equipment are just made to whine about the capital money the CTA doesn't have because it spent it on operations. I am beginning to turn it off. It was not identified what caused the actual problem, but whatever it was, I highly question the wisdom in trying to push the disabled train with another train with passengers on both. Finally, trains have broke down in the subway for years. Unfortunately, everyone is getting impatient and that turned into panic. Because of a single incident 2 years ago, everyone thinks the same thing is happening again. The popping is documented off a cell phone, but smoke was not seen as some had claimed. Who do you believe anymore ?? Had all just stayed put, this probably would have not been the fire drill it turned out to be.

Huberman's statement that the "vintage 1969 cars just stopped working" is hogwash too. Although this series may have been the bad car, I am sure this was an 8 car train, and I am also sure that there were at least 4 2600 Budd's in the consist. One bad car usually does not shut down a whole train (Again, all speculation).

The problem was caused by a cover falling off the bottom of a 2200. While the Tribune's statement that "a train manufactured in 1969 suddenly stopped in the subway" might not be accurate, Huberman's assertion that the problem was with "vintage 1969 cars" is right on.

A few problems with all of this. First of all, so many people refer to "conductor". The CTA, in a foolish, though perhaps cost saving (???) move eliminated that position years ago. Had conductors been on the train instead of silly automated announcements, there was a chance that the communication would likely have been better. Time and time again, all of this automated stuff is never pointed as a cause in "lack of communication". I will not hold a motorman (or nowadays operator) responsible for any of this "lack of communication". This person has to find the problem, and is probably hounded on 19 fronts from passengers and the "communications center", in addition to address the problem itself. Huberman's statement that the "vintage 1969 cars just stopped working" is hogwash too. Although this series may have been the bad car, I am sure this was an 8 car train, and I am also sure that there were at least 4 2600 Budd's in the consist. One bad car usually does not shut down a whole train (Again, all speculation). Comments about older equipment are just made to whine about the capital money the CTA doesn't have because it spent it on operations. I am beginning to turn it off. It was not identified what caused the actual problem, but whatever it was, I highly question the wisdom in trying to push the disabled train with another train with passengers on both. Finally, trains have broke down in the subway for years. Unfortunately, everyone is getting impatient and that turned into panic. Because of a single incident 2 years ago, everyone thinks the same thing is happening again. The popping is documented off a cell phone, but smoke was not seen as some had claimed. Who do you believe anymore ?? Had all just stayed put, this probably would have not been the fire drill it turned out to be.

A lot of times passengers tend to exaggerate. Anytime a problem happens on the CTA rail or bus all of a sudden the passengers now want to be police, fire and investigators and come up with ridiculous conclusions. One passenger went crying on tv that he was down there for two hours which is garbage. The CTA wouldnt leave you down in the subway for two hours when there are marked exits. And certainly people who lack common sense by exiting a subway train above a LIVE THIRD RAIL!, against the the instructions of CTA personnel, without regard for their own safety, the safety of others who followed. Then of course someone, god forbid gets electrocuted by the third rail and expires because he failed to follow the instructions of CTA personnel, then the families are suing the CTA for negligence. Clearly there was a problem here, it isnt only the fact that a railcar malfunctioned and passengers were stranded until emergency workers arrived but it shows that there are people who do not care to listen for directions and jeopardize the safety of themselves and others.

Comments about older equipment are just made to whine about the capital money the CTA doesn't have because it spent it on operations. I am beginning to turn it off.
I don't know if that is Huberman's motivation in this case, but it wouldn't be an excuse, since the cars are on order to replace these. Any real excuse would be related to the two year delay when bidders came back and said it made no sense to bid on DC cars, and CTA had to reengineer them for AC.

The problem was caused by a cover falling off the bottom of a 2200. While the Tribune's statement that "a train manufactured in 1969 suddenly stopped in the subway" might not be accurate, Huberman's assertion that the problem was with "vintage 1969 cars" is right on.
I'm not understanding what distinction you are trying to make. Would it have made any difference, based on your understanding of Huberman's remark, if the cover fell off a 3200? Or are you only quarreling with the "suddenly stopped" statement?

All people would have had to do is wait They could have had the train behind pull up to the stalled train load everybody on to it Thu the front door back the train up to a switch than go onto the other side dropped off continue on using single track around the stall That is how I would have done it

I'm not understanding what distinction you are trying to make. Would it have made any difference, based on your understanding of Huberman's remark, if the cover fell off a 3200? Or are you only quarreling with the "suddenly stopped" statement?

I'm just arguing semantics: it was a 1969 car that caused the problem, as Huberman said, but the entire train was not manufactured in 1969, as the Tribune reported, since it included 2600s. I don't agree with Huberman's remark - I don't think a cover falling off has anything to with the age of the car - but what he said was technically correct.

I heard it was an electrical problem aboard that 2200. That would put the train into emergency, bringing it to a grinding halt. Until you remedy that problem, you are frozen in place. Undoubtly, the control center would've initially told the operator to reset the fuses aboard the train. The problem must have been more serious requiring a visual inspection by the operator. I don't know what happened, did everyone just panic not giving anyone any time to figure this out or was the operator in need of additional training. I can tell you one thing. At 8 o'clock that train is packed to the point where no one can get on. A packed train will most likely panic the passengers quicker than if it were empty. Also there were reports of the operator saying, "well we could be here all day" I hope that wasn't true. No wonder everyone left. If that's the case it's time for an evacuation with the power cut of course. With two trains behind it, it must have been sitting there for about 15 minutes at least. He might as been able to keep the passengers on longer if he would've said things that were hopeful instead of depressing. Also as far as pushing trains are concerned, I once was aboard a 2 car O'hare bound train that got stuck at the western part of yard at Rosemont. It waited for the next train and was pushed into O'Hare as a 4 car train. With the trains down there being 8 cars each that would've made a 16 car train. I don't think electrically this can be done.

Not only was communication lacking to riders in this latest breakdown, but it's been reported earlier today that it was an hour before the CTA communicated to the city Office of Emergency Management that there was a problem so that the fire department could be dispatched in a timely manner in case passengers started self evacuating as they ended up doing.