CTA Historical Calendars

2200fan

Hi all,

I have calendars from 2004-2008 stored on pdf files. Is there anywhere to download older calendars?

I liked when CTA printed their calendars years ago. They would come up with some awesome photographs.

I liked when CTA printed their calendars years ago. They would come up with some awesome photographs.

How far back do these go? I have some in a box in my basement, I believe they're late 80's and early 90's. I'll consider scanning and posting some if there's interest.

How's this?
At least that one really is historic (no Optimas or stuff like that found in the more recent ones).

It also shows the historical basis of two routes that existed until the 1970s, but no more--149, and the segment of 155 to Howard and Western via Ashland Blvd. It also implies that propane buses lasted about 14 months longer at North Park than at 69th.

Here's 1981 and the last for today. FYI there's a big difference in quality between the 1980 and 1981 calendars. The 1980 is printed on nice thick, quality paper, the 1981 is a step or two above newsprint. As a result, image quality suffers and there are instances of "bleed through" from the image on the opposite page here and there. Still, it's better than nothing, right?

Also, I'm always looking for nice images of the "new look" Flxibles. I've been to the sites linked from here, are there any other places with these images?

1981.pdf

Also, I'm always looking for nice images of the "new look" Flxibles. I've been to the sites linked from here, are there any other places with these images?

If you don't have the Motor Coach Age magazines that discuss the CTA up to 1982, I highly suggest you get them. There is a ton of New Look Flxible pictures #8700's, #8800's, #3700's, #3500's, #3000's as well as GM new look 300's and 100's. Perhaps the best publication there is if your a transit fan. The books got good info too. Just go to motor bus society and download their back issue list and order form. I think the site is motorbussociety.org. The issue you want is the April - June 2001 one. But the other three issues aren't bad either. One of them shows the propane facilities at North Park in the 50's. These books are a treasure to have. Order them and find out what I mean. My only complaint is that the series was not extended to 1992. We could've had #9800's and #4000's in it. Keep up the good work with the calenders they are very interesting!!

If you don't have the Motor Coach Age magazines that discuss the CTA up to 1982, I highly suggest you get them. There is a ton of New Look Flxible pictures #8700's, #8800's, #3700's, #3500's, #3000's as well as GM new look 300's and 100's. Perhaps the best publication there is if your a transit fan. The books got good info too. Just go to motor bus society and download their back issue list and order form. I think the site is motorbussociety.org. The issue you want is the April - June 2001 one. But the other three issues aren't bad either. One of them shows the propane facilities at North Park in the 50's. These books are a treasure to have. Order them and find out what I mean. My only complaint is that the series was not extended to 1992. We could've had #9800's and #4000's in it. Keep up the good work with the calenders they are very interesting!!

BusHunter,

Thanks much for the tip about the magazines, I will be ordering these.

1982 has 3 extra months from late 1981, not the same as the 1981 calendar.

It wouldve been nice to have MCA publish a 1992-on of the current bus fleet.

Two surprising things here:
  • Not historical in 1982, but does give a snapshot of how things were 25 years ago.
  • Close to a Jewish calendar in that it started in Oct. Wonder why?

My dad worked for CTA and used to get the Transit News magazine. The calendars were put out originally as one of the monthly issues of the magazine. My dad retired in 1977 and passed away in 1983. He was still getting these after he retired (as did my sister and brother in law who both also worked for CTA). I have a handful of them around here somewhere. I don't have the 1982 one, but I do have 1981, 1984, 1985, 1990, & 1994. All of them start with January.

I'm not 100% sure about this odd calendar. It was put out as the Sept. 1981 issue of the Transit News I seem to recall that the Transit News switched from being a monthly issue to either every other month or quarterly at some point (I don't remember which one for sure). The switch may have happened around that time. That may have had something to do with this being issued early. I could be wrong about that though, but I do remember there was an explaination for it.