CTA Historical Calendars

2200fan

You mentioned the possibility that because the turnaround was on the south side (River Grove) of Belmont for the roll sign reading "Belmont/Cumberland". I just realized that couldn't be it because Cumberland has always gone by the name of Thatcher in River Grove, so it's only Cumberland from Belmont going north.

I do remember all the signs at the cross streets between Addison & Iriving Park read Pueblo. The only cross street that intersects with it between Belmont & Addison is Forest Preserve Dr. and I don't remember what sign was posted there. So apparently the CTA couldn't make up their minds at some point what the name of the street was either :lol:

I tried doing a little research in to the street names, but unfortunately I haven't been able to come up with anything. Although if you type "Pueblo Ave." into Google maps, it pops up a map showing the intersection of Cumberland & Montrose adding even more to the mystery :lol:

I gotta believe the Pueblo name was dropped as the street has so many names already. Cumberland, Thatcher, 1st ave, etc.... I live in the area and remember the old yellow street signs definitely said Pueblo. I did a Google search on Pueblo ave Chicago and apparently Pueblo was used up to Lawrence av at least. There was a listing for a Jewel store at 4734 N Pueblo av. The current Jewel site shows Cumberland ave instead.

On a completely different note, I was most interested by the January page on the 1990 calendar. I thought it was a standard Twin Coach bus at first glance, similar to the old 5000-5400 series. On the Historic Notes page at the back, it said these buses had twin engines and were quite fast in their day. Does anyone have any more info on these buses? I'd love to read up on them, especially the twin engines.

I gotta believe the Pueblo name was dropped as the street has so many names already. Cumberland, Thatcher, 1st ave, etc.... I live in the area and remember the old yellow street signs definitely said Pueblo. I did a Google search on Pueblo ave Chicago and apparently Pueblo was used up to Lawrence av at least. There was a listing for a Jewel store at 4734 N Pueblo av. The current Jewel site shows Cumberland ave instead.

On a completely different note, I was most interested by the January page on the 1990 calendar. I thought it was a standard Twin Coach bus at first glance, similar to the old 5000-5400 series. On the Historic Notes page at the back, it said these buses had twin engines and were quite fast in their day. Does anyone have any more info on these buses? I'd love to read up on them, especially the twin engines.

If memory serves me correct, I believe there is a picture of one page 395 in Alan R Linds 3rd edition Chicago Surface Lines. I remember some lower 1800 had them on trial. They were really fast.

If memory serves me correct, I believe there is a picture of one page 395 in Alan R Linds 3rd edition Chicago Surface Lines. I remember some lower 1800 had them on trial. They were really fast.
Lind also mentioned that the original Twin Coaches (i.e. fleet number 1, etc.) had dual gasoline engines.

This seems to be the best Google search. (Stay away from the Callboy reference, which set off an antivirus program.) The Ohio Museum of Transportation roster indicates that the 1800s were double engine.

• 2 weeks later...

Cumberland becomes Thatcher south of Belmont in River Grove, then just south of Grand, Thatcher turns off southeast. The road that continues south becomes 1st Avenue.

I was checking for something different and found a site that still uses Pueblo instead of Cumberland.

here

BTW I just got the 1987 calendar off Ebay. I will post as soon as time permits.

I was checking for something different and found a site that still uses Pueblo instead of Cumberland.

here

BTW I just got the 1987 calendar off Ebay. I will post as soon as time permits.

Yeah, that is pretty odd considering officially Pueblo hasn't existed in 30 years. When you do a search for Jewel-Osco at Yellow Pages.com, it gives the address as 4734 N. Cumberland and shows a different phone number.

As promised a while back, the 1987 calendar. Your continuing patience is much appreciated.

I spotted something a bit confusing on the 1987 calender. On the last page where they list the historical highlights of the last 40 years (1947 -87). They list the Flyer D901's as arriving August 4th, 1985. After the MAN standard #4000's which arrived a few months earlier. That didn't sound right to me. So I checked a pamplet that I have from the 50 year anniversary of the CTA in 1997 and it lists the the D901's coming in at August 4th, 1983. If the first statement were true it would've really made Flyer industries look bad at the time. One company delivers digital destination signs ahead of the other which delivers standard roll signs. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Next in the series, 1992. To the person who asked, I still haven't found the 1997 calendar. Things on my end are still quite hectic so your patience is much appreciated as always.

I'm waiting for a book I purchased on Ebay. It's supposed to be a photo archive of Flxible transit buses. I will scan this when time permits.

1992.pdf

Next in the series, 1992.
Besides vehicles and routes that are no longer there (such as CMC 6 and 48, and the double deckers), this one also shows a lot of Chicago that is gone:
  1. Fairbanks as a warehouse district, instead of NWM Hospital.
  2. Wieboldt's (especially in a neighborhood). I was expecting that the building now would have some Spanish sign, but it apparently has been yuppified (according to Google Street View).
  3. Jackson Park L station.
  4. Hillman's and Stop & Shop at the site of the new CBS2 building. I used to work around the corner. This also disproves the assertion made several times by inexperienced folk at the Tribune that a food store in the Carson's building will be the first for the Loop.
I remember 3 and 4. I also remember Garfield and Western (not that bus there), and that is the only one that probably still is about the same (we know Soldier Field isn't).

The only thing that would make this complete is a picture of transit in front of a Goldblatt's. I suggest something from the Wilson L platform.

On the other hand, this calendar is about half and half, as the pictures for June, August, November, and December have appeared in various other books.

Finally, is "Base Ball Today" Cubs or Sox? Blowing the picture up, it does say Wrigley Field.

Besides vehicles and routes that are no longer there (such as CMC 6 and 48, and the double deckers), this one also shows a lot of Chicago that is gone:
  1. Fairbanks as a warehouse district, instead of NWM Hospital.
  2. Wieboldt's (especially in a neighborhood). I was expecting that the building now would have some Spanish sign, but it apparently has been yuppified (according to Google Street View).
  3. Jackson Park L station.
  4. Hillman's and Stop & Shop at the site of the new CBS2 building. I used to work around the corner. This also disproves the assertion made several times by inexperienced folk at the Tribune that a food store in the Carson's building will the the first for the Loop.
I remember 3 and 4. I also remember Garfield and Western (not that bus there), and that is the only one that probably still is about the same (we know Soldier Field isn't).

The only thing that would make this complete is a picture of transit in front of a Goldblatt's. I suggest something from the Wilson L platform.

On the other hand, this calendar is about half and half, as the pictures for June, August, November, and December have appeared in various other books.

Finally, is "Base Ball Today" Cubs or Sox? Blowing the picture up, it does say Wrigley Field.

I miss those old black on yellow street signs (as seen in the Wieboldt's picture)

• 3 years later...