CTA Historical Calendars

2200fan

My dad worked for CTA and used to get the Transit News magazine. The calendars were put out originally as one of the monthly issues of the magazine. My dad retired in 1977 and passed away in 1983. He was still getting these after he retired (as did my sister and brother in law who both also worked for CTA). I have a handful of them around here somewhere. I don't have the 1982 one, but I do have 1981, 1984, 1985, 1990, & 1994. All of them start with January.

I'm not 100% sure about this odd calendar. It was put out as the Sept. 1981 issue of the Transit News I seem to recall that the Transit News switched from being a monthly issue to either every other month or quarterly at some point (I don't remember which one for sure). The switch may have happened around that time. That may have had something to do with this being issued early. I could be wrong about that though, but I do remember there was an explaination for it.

The next calendar (1983) is dated October 1982 but starts in January 1983, go figure..... I will be scanning this over the weekend, this week has been very hectic for me. Your patience is much appreciated.

The next calendar (1983) is dated October 1982 but starts in January 1983, go figure..... I will be scanning this over the weekend, this week has been very hectic for me. Your patience is much appreciated.

I know I'm a bit late w/this but better late than never, right? This is the entire 1983 calendar except the cover which I forgot to scan. The cover has 4 images from this calendar, if anyone wants the cover I'll post it as a .jpg.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the format of these. 1982 was dated 9/81 and started in October 81. This one is dated 10/82 and starts in January 83. Some, like this one, have the historical notes, some don't.

1983.pdf

did u find the one with a photo of the current 103rd Garage

Can you tell me what year it opened? I'm doing these in sequence by year but that would give me a hint where to look. For example: the next one has the new (at the time) O'Hare station on the cover.

1984.pdf

Can you tell me what year it opened? I'm doing these in sequence by year but that would give me a hint where to look. For example: the next one has the new (at the time) O'Hare station on the cover.

It opened in 1988. Also, you shouldn't rush to get these maps up, take your time.

Several interesting things from the 1984 one:

• First that I had seen an "electric dummy" streetcar locomotive in Chicago. Lind's book has very little on what preceded 1906.
  • Apparently, even the Marmons had the "9" added to their fleet numbers.
  • Also, there had been little documentation of the 34 Diversey up to this point. Since the historical notes said that it ran from Crawford-Wrightwood, it must have been in buslover's neighborhood, but about 55 years before him.
  • It also shows the better documented Diversey trolleybus, also in that neighborhood.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you don't have the Motor Coach Age magazines that discuss the CTA up to 1982, I highly suggest you get them. There is a ton of New Look Flxible pictures #8700's, #8800's, #3700's, #3500's, #3000's as well as GM new look 300's and 100's. Perhaps the best publication there is if your a transit fan. The books got good info too. Just go to motor bus society and download their back issue list and order form. I think the site is motorbussociety.org. The issue you want is the April - June 2001 one. But the other three issues aren't bad either. One of them shows the propane facilities at North Park in the 50's. These books are a treasure to have. Order them and find out what I mean. My only complaint is that the series was not extended to 1992. We could've had #9800's and #4000's in it. Keep up the good work with the calenders they are very interesting!!

Bushunter,

I finally got these and they're great! Lots of good info and pics. Thanks a bunch for the info about these.

PS I will be scanning more calendars soon, things have been hectic around here.

Bushunter,

I finally got these and they're great! Lots of good info and pics. Thanks a bunch for the info about these.

PS I will be scanning more calendars soon, things have been hectic around here.

No problem, I'm here to help you and inform you of what I see. I told you they were good!! Too bad someone couldn't post the 1993 calender. (I know you don't have it) There's a picture in January that I"m dying to see with bus #181 northbound on the #51A (not sure on the route) squeezing through Stockton drive with the rear of #876? beside him. It's a terrific 1960's era photo that's true vintage.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is out at IRM, the used bookstore has a lot of 1996 calendars available. I think the asking price is $1 or $2 each.

I went there over the weekend. Good place, you never get tired of it. I saw those calendars and I remember a couple of years ago they were selling old CTA metal badges and punchers too. They have some really good magazines there at the IRM gift store.

Its unbelievable but you have to compare the new photo added of CTA #4404 and check out the 1990 or 91, CTA historical calendar cover shot of a brand new #4404 in front of the old Comiskey Park.

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's been awhile, your patience is most appreciated.

Several interesting things here:

• The cover shows old streetcars before the standard CSL appearance (which is about all Lind showed).
  • A good shot of the #2 bus. However, the historical notes, while correct that the local predated the express, leaves the wrong impression that they did not cooexist. There was a 2 Union Station via Hyde Park into the 1970s.
  • One would now think that the L curves around the Merchandise Mart, but this documents what was there before the Mart was.
  • The trolley bus sign clearly says 77 Belmont-Cumberland, even though for a time Cumberland in the city was known as Pueblo, in accordance with the alphabetical street system. A 1969 map I have shows Belmont to Cumberland, but Addison to Pueblo. Maybe because the loop was on the south side of the street, in River Grove?

Several interesting things here:
  • The cover shows old streetcars before the standard CSL appearance (which is about all Lind showed).
  • A good shot of the #2 bus. However, the historical notes, while correct that the local predated the express, leaves the wrong impression that they did not cooexist. There was a 2 Union Station via Hyde Park into the 1970s.
  • One would now think that the L curves around the Merchandise Mart, but this documents what was there before the Mart was.
  • The trolley bus sign clearly says 77 Belmont-Cumberland, even though for a time Cumberland in the city was known as Pueblo, in accordance with the alphabetical street system. A 1969 map I have shows Belmont to Cumberland, but Addison to Pueblo. Maybe because the loop was on the south side of the street, in River Grove?

The whole Cumberland/Pueblo thing lasted into the maybe the mid-70's. The Chicago street signs read Cumberland at Belmont (I can't remember for sure though) but I do remember they showed Pueblo at Addison, then Cumberland again at Irving Park. It was that way as long I could remember before the city finally "unconfused" things by dropping Pueblo altogether. I think they finally changed it when they started replacing the black on yellow street signs with the white on green street signage the city uses now (I could be wrong about that part of it too though). But I do remember riding the Addison bus out to the end a lot when I was in high school between '72 & '76. I seem to recall the roll signs for the Addison bus were changed around '74 to read Addison/Cumberland.

Busjack mentions the ETB signed for #77 Belmont.

I think that is an ACF/Brill trolleybus. In the late 1950s to early 1960s CTA operated a few ACF/Brill gas buses on the south side IIRC. As a youngster I never saw or rode the ACF/Brill trolley bus. I finally saw pictures of them much later.

Gene

Busjack mentions the ETB signed for #77 Belmont.

I think that is an ACF/Brill trolleybus. In the late 1950s to early 1960s CTA operated a few ACF/Brill gas buses on the south side IIRC. As a youngster I never saw or rode the ACF/Brill trolley bus. I finally saw pictures of them much later.

Gene

Yep, it is a Brill, and apparently before the 9 was put in front of the fleet number.

As I might have previously mentioned, by the time I got to Chicago, there were only Marmons left.

Yep, it is a Brill, and apparently before the 9 was put in front of the fleet number.

As I might have previously mentioned, by the time I got to Chicago, there were only Marmons left.

You mentioned the possibility that because the turnaround was on the south side (River Grove) of Belmont for the roll sign reading "Belmont/Cumberland". I just realized that couldn't be it because Cumberland has always gone by the name of Tatcher in River Grove, so it's only Cumberland from Belmont going north.

To add to the confusion, there was also a brief time that Belmont buses had destination signs that read "77 Belmont-Pueblo", post trolley early a/c fishbowl days.

I do remember all the signs at the cross streets between Addison & Iriving Park read Pueblo. The only cross street that intersects with it between Belmont & Addison is Forest Preserve Dr. and I don't remember what sign was posted there. So apparently the CTA couldn't make up their minds at some point what the name of the street was either :lol:

I tried doing a little research in to the street names, but unfortunately I haven't been able to come up with anything. Although if you type "Pueblo Ave." into Google maps, it pops up a map showing the intersection of Cumberland & Montrose adding even more to the mystery :lol: