CTA Bus or Goodyear Blimp?

They just showed ABC7 news of a new live advertising signs that CTA will be using on buses. Bus #1727 has a new animated advertising sign on the door side of the bus. The advertising sign is similar to the type used on the GoodYear blimp. The new sign will also be used to inform of Amber Alerts. Very good idea, it looks really cool too.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They just showed ABC7 news of a new live advertising signs that CTA will be using on buses. Bus #1727 has a new animated advertising sign on the door side of the bus. The advertising sign is similar to the type used on the GoodYear blimp. The new sign will also be used to inform of Amber Alerts. Very good idea, it looks really cool too.

It is a good idea. It's cool that Kedzie was chosen to test this new innovation. Maybe I'll get a chance to see it soon.

It is a good idea. It's cool that Kedzie was chosen to test this new innovation. Maybe I'll get a chance to see it soon.
The choices were somewhat limited, given CTA's statement in the press release that LSD and similar routes would not get them. Apparently, they are destined for the slow, local routes, and probably especially downtown. Hence 124 was an obvious choice.

WGN reported that if all goes well on this project, CTA plans to outfit 100 buses with these new digital signs. CTA rail stations will also be fitted with these signs. I like the idea that it will be used to display Amber Alerts.

The choices were somewhat limited, given CTA's statement in the press release that LSD and similar routes would not get them. Apparently, they are destined for the slow, local routes, and probably especially downtown. Hence 124 was an obvious choice.

That of course limits the employees who assign availabale buses at the garage to the routes in terms of which buses go where. This would seem to suggest that the 100 buses chosen that CTA5750 mentioned will be from different garages across the system. With Kedzie having four LSD routes, it would really tie their hands somewhat when taking into account what was said in another thread about having handy more buses than may actually be used for the garage's assigned routes to cover buses that may be pulled from service for maintenance, not to mention the added mention of use for Amber alerts.

... I like the idea that it will be used to display Amber Alerts.

On further reflection, I'm not so convinced. The only people who would be able to read it are those at the bus stop (either waiting for the bus, in which case they are more interested in getting on, or passing by). One probably wouldn't read the detail of "a purple Jaguar with license plate 999 1021" before the bus pulls out. And, even so, you wouldn't be on the expressway to see that car pass you.

On the other hand, a message such as "Eat Oreos," "Lottery $10 Million" or "See Wicked" is quickly conveyed by a flashing sign.

Which brings me to a half baked idea I had a couple of years ago. To help the CTA money crunch, I suggested, somewhat in jest, to install a slot machine on the front wheel well cover. The flashing sign outside could say what the jackpot is on the bus. If anyone from CTA management is lurking here, I'll let you know where to send the royalties for this idea.

:huh:

I read about this in today's Tribune. I also wonder if these signs can stand going through the wash rack daily. :D

Gene

good question. I'm wondering just how they'll be when the salt gets on the street. The bottom part of any type of vehicle takes the most beating in winter. Somehow I see frozen signs or signs missing pixels. The signs do look terrific, but they are delicate. As long as an outside firm maintains the sign it's good for the CTA.

good question. I'm wondering just how they'll be when the salt gets on the street. The bottom part of any type of vehicle takes the most beating in winter. Somehow I see frozen signs or signs missing pixels. The signs do look terrific, but they are delicate. As long as an outside firm maintains the sign it's good for the CTA.

If I were buying advertising on these I would demand an outside firm doing maintenance. If the CTA maintains these as good as they maintain destination signs, they will be dark as often as they are operational....or they'll have a white piece of paper taped to the window above that says "wicked", "eat oreos" or "lotto $100 million" !!!!! :lol:

If I were buying advertising on these I would demand an outside firm doing maintenance. If the CTA maintains these as good as they maintain destination signs, they will be dark as often as they are operational....or they'll have a white piece of paper taped to the window above that says "wicked", "eat oreos" or "lotto $100 million" !!!!! :lol:

I see you upped the jackpot 10 times what I thought. :P

I looked at the thread about New Looks and saw some Miami buses which had busoramas, the adboards mounted along the roof. Given how "things happen" in Chicago traffic, would the new signs be better mounted higher on the bus or would they be subject to collision damage or vandalism in the current positon?

Gene

or a paper sign of all three :lol: They would have to restrict these digital sign buses to indoor garages. Can you just see it a bus from NP with a white cloud of salt over these signs. The salt never reaches the top where a busarama sign would go. It may be smarter to put the signs up there. There high up and more visible.

or a paper sign of all three :lol: They would have to restrict these digital sign buses to indoor garages.
I don't know about that. A bus operating downtown would pick up a lot of salt being on the street 16 hours a day, nor matter where it was stored. The only question regarding an indoor garage would be whether water would freeze in the sign after the bus is washed (assuming that it is washed) and put back out in the yard.

I don't know about that. A bus operating downtown would pick up a lot of salt being on the street 16 hours a day, nor matter where it was stored. The only question regarding an indoor garage would be whether water would freeze in the sign after the bus is washed (assuming that it is washed) and put back out in the yard.

At least at an indoor facility there are being washed daily. It makes sense to run these on slow downtown routes than on quicker routes because they would accumulate salt almost instantly. Alot of time in the loop you are standing still or moving slowly. Plus Kedzie garage has some of the cleanest buses in the winter. No wonder they have the pilot bus.

Well the signs aren't going to be maintained by the CTA. They're going to be maintained by the company with whom CTA made the contract to place the signs on the buses, Titan Outdoor. So that changes the equation of what will be going on with the signs during the winter months.

I was able to ride on 1727 this evening on my way back to Ogilvie. I have seen it cruising

the 124 with the new signage over the past week. Actually, even though this thing is constantly

in motion, I don't see it as being any kind of attention grabbing problem such as people

crashing their cars because they are looking at the ad. It is well done and should it survive

the cold and wet Chicago winters, could be a good revenue maker.

I can say though, obviously, it stands out much better at night.

I was able to ride on 1727 this evening on my way back to Ogilvie. I have seen it cruising

the 124 with the new signage over the past week. Actually, even though this thing is constantly

in motion, I don't see it as being any kind of attention grabbing problem such as people

crashing their cars because they are looking at the ad. It is well done and should it survive

the cold and wet Chicago winters, could be a good revenue maker.

I can say though, obviously, it stands out much better at night.

In the daylight the sign looks a little dark. The sign seems to be encased inside a protective plastic case that looks a bit tinted. The question will be can they keep the water out of the sign, especially in winter?