Funding Issues

trainman8119

I can understand your concern about how money is spent with the current funding issue that's now arisen. We don't want to get caught in a pattern of questioning every little expenditure though when a lot of these were already earmarked in the current year's budget. The financial issues are with balancing next year's budget. Spending earmarks from this year's budget were already in place and approved at the beginning of the year. To be fair we should remember that. Remember it was announced earlier this year that rail station signs would be brought up to date and more in line with the train signs. This could very well be a part of that.

However, if any of these types of programs were cancelled for lack of funding, it wouldn't be the first time. CTA continues to move hundreds of buses around constantly for whatever reason, yet Huberman and Co. constantly whine at how fuel costs are killing their budget. It all brings out questions at how the budgets are being prepared, executed and how many of these projects are really necessary.

However, if any of these types of programs were cancelled for lack of funding, it wouldn't be the first time. CTA continues to move hundreds of buses around constantly for whatever reason, yet Huberman and Co. constantly whine at how fuel costs are killing their budget. It all brings out questions at how the budgets are being prepared, executed and how many of these projects are really necessary.
I agree about the bus moves. For instance, if T8H's experience is typical, there were at least 40 drivers apparently getting a half day's pay plus overtime shuttling those 160 buses. I wonder what that costs.

However, stuff like signs is small peanuts compared to the $250 million hole under Block 37. I looked over Ask Carole, and I see that she keeps shifting position without saying that that money appears to have been blown. At least Channel 2 has its Block 37 studio up and running despite delays (and the picture is spectacular), but you can't say the same for CTA.

But this may go full circle. Why, apparently, add signs for the Airport Express, if CTA is waiting for some business to invest $1.5 billion to build it? And why would a business do that?

I agree about the bus moves. For instance, if T8H's experience is typical, there were at least 40 drivers apparently getting a half day's pay plus overtime shuttling those 160 buses. I wonder what that costs.

However, stuff like signs is small peanuts compared to the $250 million hole under Block 37. I looked over Ask Carole, and I see that she keeps shifting position without saying that that money appears to have been blown. At least Channel 2 has its Block 37 studio up and running despite delays (and the picture is spectacular), but you can't say the same for CTA.

But this may go full circle. Why, apparently, add signs for the Airport Express, if CTA is waiting for some business to invest $1.5 billion to build it? And why would a business do that?

The CTA needs to travel to some other cities like NYC, DC, or Boston to see how to run a transit agency! Block 37 is the biggest joke in CTA History. Why in the world would you start building a station for a service you can't even afford! Not only that, we have perfectly good service to both Midway and O'Hare. I have an idea on how you can make Express Service to O'Hare: Take the Money you wasted on Block 37 to fix the Slow Zones and buy newer rail cars! The CTA needs to learn how to prioritize their budget issues! No one has ever had any beef with the Orange and Blue Line service to both Airports :angry:

I have an idea on how you can make Express Service to O'Hare: Take the Money you wasted on Block 37 to fix the Slow Zones and buy newer rail cars!
But how do you do that after the money is thrown away? If the CTA were like the feds and could print money, it would have already.
The CTA needs to learn how to prioritize their budget issues! No one has ever had any beef with the Orange and Blue Line service to both Airports :angry:
As Roe Conn said when the debate was over "direct" vs. "express" service,* the question is whether the traveler is willing to pay $10 a ride on the separate train so that someone doesn't pee on his or her shoe.

There are undoubtedly complaints about the slow O'Hare branch, but that is being rebuilt. The direct train would have had to run on it anyway.

Carole seems to say that the quarter billion was to enable a connection between the subways, but Daley's incoherent statement about current switches being out of date seems to preclude that.

The priority now would seem to rebuild the concrete overpasses on the north side lines.

____

*Remember the distinction was that "direct service" was a special train that had to trail the regular ones, while "express service" required at least building bypass tracks, or even a new route over the UP-NW, and moving the lanes of the Kennedy Expressway.

As is my understanding, these special Midway and O'Hare Express trains would only leave from Block 37. Therefore, most customers are going to have to travel downtown via other Line or busses, then pay another 10 dollars to ride an express train instead of transferring for free from another L line or paying a 25 cent transfer fee from a bus.
The concept that they would only leave from block 37 is correct. However, my reference to Roe Conn indicates that the intended clientele are not those transferring from loaded L trains, but supposedly the people staying in downtown hotels.
And I understand that a private company might pay for this.
That's what CTA hopes, but we haven't seen a request for proposals nor any private company saying on its own that it wants to assume that burden.

I agree with you about the constant swapping of buses. The rise in fuel costs that's eating up other transportation providers' (i.e. the airlines) budgets and degrading their ability to provide quality service is my main reason for opposing these idiotic swaps. My only point is that there are some legitimate expenditures, such as eliminating the rail slow zones, that we don't want to disrupt the CTA's ability to continue by second guessing every little expenditure. Financial oversight to cut down waste is definitely a good thing, but we don't want to go overboard by criticizing the spending that actually makes sense. Updating and improving rail signs is definitely not the pitching money into a blackhole as the Block 37 has become. Btw, I think if you're getting on a Green Line train to Harlem, it should be obvious you're heading to the Harlem/Green Line station and not either of the Blue Line Harlem stations regardless of if the sign now says 'Harlem' and not 'Harlem/Lake'. The green background on the destination sign should be a big clue.

I agree with you about the constant swapping of buses. The rise in fuel costs that's eating up other transportation providers' (i.e. the airlines) budgets and degrading their ability to provide quality service is my main reason for opposing these idiotic swaps. My only point is that there are some legitimate expenditures, such as eliminating the rail slow zones, that we don't want to disrupt the CTA's ability to continue by second guessing every little expenditure. Financial oversight to cut down waste is definitely a good thing, but we don't want to go overboard by criticizing the spending that actually makes sense. Updating and improving rail signs is definitely not the pitching money into a blackhole as the Block 37 has become. Btw, I think if you're getting on a Green Line train to Harlem, it should be obvious you're heading to the Harlem/Green Line station and not either of the Blue Line Harlem stations regardless of if the sign now says 'Harlem' and not 'Harlem/Lake'. The green background on the destination sign should be a big clue.

True. And I completely agree about not categorizing Block 37 with the small station improvements. There is NO comparison. Block 37 is complete money pit. And like it has been discussed, I'm pretty sure NO private company wants to sink millions into this type of service.

True. And I completely agree about not categorizing Block 37 with the small station improvements. There is NO comparison. Block 37 is complete money pit. And like it has been discussed, I'm pretty sure NO private company wants to sink millions into this type of service.

What everyone seems to miss is that the Block 37 fiasco was created by DA MAYOR, not CTA. This was HIS DREAM, HIS VISION, just like median gardens that obstruct views all over the city and Millenium Park. Yet Daley has taken 0 responsibility (credit) for this situation and CTA is left holding the bag. I certainly disagreed with this project, but I felt that if an Airport Express train needed to be rammed down the city's throat, then at least use the Kennedy EXp express lanes to build additional tracks between downtown and the Edens junction. Of course that would be very unpopular with motorists who drive those jammed expressways, but there really isn't any other way to have express trains go from downtown to O'Hare. Midway isn't much better, but at least Midway is a shorter distance from downtown with fewer stops.

I certainly disagreed with this project, but I felt that if an Airport Express train needed to be rammed down the city's throat, then at least use the Kennedy EXp express lanes to build additional tracks between downtown and the Edens junction.
According to consultant's report, that wouldn't have been necessary. They recommended either bypass tracks on the existing Logan Square L, or building an L over the UP-NW to Jefferson Park.

While those would have been costly (the UP-NW L adding $800 million), another costly part of the plan was that 4 tracks would be needed from Jefferson Park to O'Hare, and essentially move traffic on that part of the Kennedy to where the shoulder is now. This was written off as "they will have to rebuild the expressway, eventually."

The consultant's report is still available here.

BTW, is that the same way the Star Line is being planned, as there is no median in the NW Tollway (or Jane Addams or whatever they call it today)?

BTW, is that the same way the Star Line is being planned, as there is no median in the NW Tollway (or Jane Addams or whatever they call it today)?

Another fiasco in the making. While Metra is sleeping Canadian National is proceeding on buying the trackage of the EJ and E to run there freight network. Where does this put the STAR line?

Another fiasco in the making. While Metra is sleeping Canadian National is proceeding on buying the trackage of the EJ and E to run there freight network. Where does this put the STAR line?

Haha! Great point BusHunter. My village (Frankfort) is actively protesting against the CN purchase of the EJ&E tracks. If only I lived there full time (I go to UIC) I would joining in the fight!

Haha! Great point BusHunter. My village (Frankfort) is actively protesting against the CN purchase of the EJ&E tracks. If only I lived there full time (I go to UIC) I would joining in the fight!

Freight traffic used to be really heavy on the Milwaukee west line. ( This is CN's current tracks) It seems to be down now due to the economy. It might not be too bad to run CN's train on the EJ and E if they ran them fast. In Dekalb they run freights at 60MPH!! They pass quickly.

Freight traffic used to be really heavy on the Milwaukee west line. ( This is CN's current tracks) It seems to be down now due to the economy. It might not be too bad to run CN's train on the EJ and E if they ran them fast. In Dekalb they run freights at 60MPH!! They pass quickly.
CP runs on the former Milwaukee (now Metra MD) lines, not CN.

CN has the former IC, GTW, and Wisconsin Central.

Getting back to the topic of funding, the Tribune reported (but not in a conspicuous manner) that the legislature voted to reinstate, among other things, the half/free fare subsidy, so that is back on the gov's desk (where, of course, it faces an uncertain future).

Getting back to the topic of funding, the Tribune reported (but not in a conspicuous manner) that the legislature voted to reinstate, among other things, the half/free fare subsidy, so that is back on the gov's desk (where, of course, it faces an uncertain future).

Right. Let's see what he does now after his hissy fit that the CTA "is using old people as a scapegoat for their funding issues." He did all that patting himself on the back that he helped bring hundreds of millions in extra funding for the CTA, but what he doesn't say is that money goes to the RTA first to be split between CTA, Metra and Pace. He left it seeming as if all the money is going directly to the CTA. More importantly he neglects to acknowledge that the bulk of that funding is based on the real estate transfer tax along with the sales tax increase that he made such a big fuss about. With this year's nosedive of the housing market, the actual amount of tax dollars collected is far lower than what was projected when things were looked at through rose colored eyeglasses. Also Todd Stroger's 1% increase in the sales tax to fund the waste in Cook County's over bloated budget did not exactly help for sales tax revenues. So the funding isn't as big as he's giving himself credit for. In our legitimate concerns about some of the budget decisions made, we let ourselves fall in the trap of forgetting those details which is probably what the governor was banking on.

I think that the CTA should not be spending money on giant digital bus ads. The money would be better spent on improving service, or replacing old buses.
Like a Tribune poster, you missed the point. The advertising company is supposedly paying all costs and then paying CTA $10 million over that. See the home page News Brief, which accurately portrays what was put out to the media.

Like a Tribune poster, you missed the point. The advertising company is supposedly paying all costs and then paying CTA $10 million over that. See the home page News Brief, which accurately portrays what was put out to the media.

Right. I don't the CTA would be paying out money to put other companies to put ads digital or otherwise on its own buses or any other of its vehicles or property. That defies logic even for them. It's the other way around. Advertisers pay money to CTA to use space on its revenue vehicles, rail stations and other relevant properties to advertise products or give information. In the case of the digital bus ads, that's all covered by the advertising company. The signs will even be maintained by the company, so no CTA payroll dollars will even be used for maintenance.

• 1 month later...

Right. I don't the CTA would be paying out money to put other companies to put ads digital or otherwise on its own buses or any other of its vehicles or property. That defies logic even for them. It's the other way around. Advertisers pay money to CTA to use space on its revenue vehicles, rail stations and other relevant properties to advertise products or give information. In the case of the digital bus ads, that's all covered by the advertising company. The signs will even be maintained by the company, so no CTA payroll dollars will even be used for maintenance.

I might need to read the whole posting but just from a quick look I feel I should follow up on this "CTA needs money again" story. 1st off a friend of mine is retireing from CTA this Jan 1st. She explained to me that she cant figure out why CTA insists on telling people about "the cost of fuel" being so high now when CTA is locked into a contract with their fuel supplier for 4 or 5 years. The cost remains the same. The contract that expired in 2005 they were locked in at $0.89 a gallon. Their new contract is somewhere around $1.50 a gallon.

2nd , When CTA got that $300 million back in January the 1st thing they did was give 100's of managers $20,000 a year in raises and handed out 100's of promotions. I cant believe they need more money and the public is not outraged about the whole thing.

...1st off a friend of mine is retireing from CTA this Jan 1st. She explained to me that she cant figure out why CTA insists on telling people about "the cost of fuel" being so high now when CTA is locked into a contract with their fuel supplier for 4 or 5 years. The cost remains the same. The contract that expired in 2005 they were locked in at $0.89 a gallon. Their new contract is somewhere around $1.50 a gallon.

Shows again the effect of garage rumor. True, CTA has fuel contracts, but no fuel contract in the world would guarantee $1.50 a gallon, when the world price is closer to $5.00.

This month's financial report indicates that while CTA has fuel hedges, it was paying about $3.90 a gallon. Other similar things from CTA have said that the fuel price cap is $3.89. (Of course, CTA doesn't pay sales tax.)

Now, it is possible that your friend has information that the CTA financial officer doesn't, but if so, she should bring that fraud to the board's attention (or Mary Wisniewski's).

Also, as in the case of United, apparently the fuel hedge isn't working now that oil prices are down.

Shows again the effect of garage rumor. True, CTA has fuel contracts, but no fuel contract in the world would guarantee $1.50 a gallon, when the world price is closer to $5.00.

This month's financial report indicates that while CTA has fuel hedges, it was paying about $3.90 a gallon. Other similar things from CTA have said that the fuel price cap is $3.89. (Of course, CTA doesn't pay sales tax.)

Now, it is possible that your friend has information that the CTA financial officer doesn't, but if so, she should bring that fraud to the board's attention (or Mary Wisniewski's).

Also, as in the case of United, apparently the fuel hedge isn't working now that oil prices are down.

Remember oil prices are down for now. As soon as they get a notion that people are buying gas again in big numbers again, prices will come back up. There have already been warnings not to get too comfortable with falling oil prices in the news beacuse they can go back up.

Remember oil prices are down for now. As soon as they get a notion that people are buying gas again in big numbers again, prices will come back up. There have already been warnings not to get too comfortable with falling oil prices in the news beacuse they can go back up.
True, but the real driver of the price will be world demand for crude. While I don't see people flocking back to their suvs soon, the real issue is whether China's industries will need fuel, which depends on us buying from them, which depends on general economic conditions.

In any event, I'm not betting my money in the oil futures market at the moment. I thought $6 gas was more likely than $2. I find it hard to believe the gasoline futures are currently at $1.46 (according to last night's Nightly Business Report). This may, however, make Sheila Nix look better in saying that fuel prices might be going down, so don't raise fares yet.

• 1 year later...