#4000 Arrives

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...

When CTA piggybacked off Seattle's 2008 run of DE60LFs, they didn't get exactly the same buses we received.

KCM_2813_01.jpg

The spec sheets between the two are comparable, though. Maybe it's just a matter of aestetics?

So CTA piggybacked off of Seattle WA with the DE60LFs? I was reading Baltimore MTA piggybacked oof of the same order. But Bmores look more like CTAs on the exterior as well but the end caps are different. CTAs are the DE60LF and Bmore MTAs are DE60LFRs. Since Baltimore likes the LFR better then the LF. Both CTA and Bmore MTA have the same driver seats except MTAs have headrests with orange shoulder strap seatbelts. And of course the interior colors are a difference as well as the rear door.

So CTA piggybacked off of Seattle WA with the DE60LFs?..
The only thing that can be said with certainty is that CTA used some assigned Seattle options for 4000-4149. Apparently that doesn't mean that all details, especially the aesthetic ones, need be the same.

It might just be a financial transaction, in that CTA said it used assigned WMATA options for 4150-4207, but those don't appear to be much different than the first 150, except for the seats and seating arrangement. There is no indication that CTA used a WMATA spec. (although there is some indication that the first 150 were basically on the Seattle spec. with regard to underlying mechanicals, in that, in commenting on the specs. for the next 900, Proposer 1 said that the requested change was as in those currently being delivered).

WMATAs next New Flyer Articulateds will be the DE62LFA. CTAs are the DE60LF. It could be possible that CTA does not have room for BRT Articulated buses. Or they prefer the old style better. Bmore MTA is piggybacking off of WMATAs next New Flyer 40fts but WMATAs are DE42LFAs and Bmore MTA is getting DE40LFRs since they cannot accomodate the BRTs. And Baltimores DE60LFRs have a seating capacity of 56. When it comes to piggybacks. Other then New Flyers. Most piggyback orders are normally the same as the order they are piggybacked from but there are differences in both orders such as colors and a few other feature differences. Such as seats, windows, mirrors, tail lights, etc. Most piggybacks Ive seen have the same passenger seat models but in different colors and many Ive seen with different driver seats on both orders. Which I thought would be completely different between Bmore MTA and WMATA. Since WMATA all these years used USSC LX driver seats with no headrest and lap seatbelts as Baltimores newer buses have black Recaro Ergo Ms with headrests and orange shoulder strap seatbelts. But now WMATA uses orange shoulder strap seatbelts but they use blue Recaro Ergo Ms with no headrest. Baltimore will always use black Recaro Ergo Ms with orange shoulder strap seatbelts.

It could be possible that CTA does not have room for BRT Articulated buses. Or they prefer the old style better.
The only thing that is probable is that CTA wants the largest quantity for the money and interchangeable parts, and that is why they stay away from the restyled bus, not because of any aesthetic sensibility.

Seats and similar stuff are just options with a marginal effect on the cost, especially if an ARRA goal is to spread around the business.

The only thing that would surprise me is that if the Pace logos on seat fabric show up elsewhere than on Pace.

CTA can fit LFRs in their bases since all they are is restyled New Flyers. However. Until New Flyer discontinues the old style end caps which I suspect one year will happen. Rumor is it may be either next year or the year after. But the same thing was said in 2007 and New Flyer still makes the old style end caps. And even though I prefer restyled better at least CTA isnt as old style with everything as SEPTA. SEPTA purchases old style New Flyers as well but also they use mid 90s style driver seats on buses. The USSC LX driver seat. With lap seatbelts. And CTA uses Recaro Ergo Ms with shoulder straps. But no headrest. But from my experiences and from what I hear from Transit operators the Recaro Ergo M is more comfortable then the USSC LX and even more comfortable then the Am31 which was discontinued in 1999.