#4000 Arrives

Kevin

I am on a 4000 everyday (sometimes twice a day) and when the bus is jammed packed, the joint starts squealing... maybe the weight load towards the back starts to make it do that? maybe it needs to be oiled ?? no idea....

Rode 4041 earlier this week. The joint squealed around turns with only 25 or so passengers aboard --- but ONLY while turning. Hopefully, it's harmless.

I am on a 4000 everyday (sometimes twice a day) and when the bus is jammed packed, the joint starts squealing... maybe the weight load towards the back starts to make it do that? maybe it needs to be oiled ?? no idea....
Somebody program the CD interior display that when the GPS hits the coordinates for LSD at Fullerton, all the standees should start jumping up and down. You would have your answer by Montrose. :P

Does the squealing sound as bad as the squealing in this D60LFR? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ5C8VjKGxE

If so you guys are up for your first problems with your new artics. That loud squealing is caused by the hydraulics in the joint locking up causing the joint to grind whenever the bus turns. The problem appeared on nearly all of our 2007/2008 D60LFRs and they had to be sent up to Mississauga Truck and Bus to be modified.

If the squealing is a lot quieter than that, it's just the rubber at the end of the turntables rubbing against the floor, which is nothing major.

Does the squealing sound as bad as the squealing in this D60LFR? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ5C8VjKGxE

If so you guys are up for your first problems with your new artics. That loud squealing is caused by the hydraulics in the joint locking up causing the joint to grind whenever the bus turns. The problem appeared on nearly all of our 2007/2008 D60LFRs and they had to be sent up to Mississauga Truck and Bus to be modified.

If the squealing is a lot quieter than that, it's just the rubber at the end of the turntables rubbing against the floor, which is nothing major.

I haven't rode any 4000-Series New Flyer DE60LF's yet, but if they are anything like this D60LFR, then I think I'd rather walk than ride in these vehicles!!! The NABI's never sounded as bad as this!!!

I haven't rode any 4000-Series New Flyer DE60LF's yet, but if they are anything like this D60LFR, then I think I'd rather walk than ride in these vehicles!!! The NABI's never sounded as bad as this!!!

They don't sound like this anymore, they were all fixed.

Also before anyone comments about the "cleanliness" of this bus, that's the norm for Malton division buses.

The sound did seem to be fairly quiet. Although my hearing isn't the greatest, it seem like the squealing might have actually been coming from the bellows rather than the joint. It could have been the material stretching or contracting.

Yes, it sounds exactly like that. It sounds just like a door on a haunted house. The bus had a light load ( with about half the seat occupied) Funny, that bus is only a few months old arriving in early January. It's having problems like that already.

Yes, it sounds exactly like that. It sounds just like a door on a haunted house. The bus had a light load ( with about half the seat occupied) Funny, that bus is only a few months old arriving in early January. It's having problems like that already.

It's nothing to worry about, it's an easy fix covered by the warranty. Some of MT's D60LFR developed these problems during the first days of service.

Sounds more like some coolant or antifreeze. Don't know if the battery pack needs cooling.

Although I don't know if they do for sure, it wouldn't surprise me if they do.

Toronto's Orion VII HEVs have been suffering from battery overheating while being used on highways. As a result the last 5 buses in the most recent order are equipped with an updated battery pack and a cooling system as will all future deliveries.

North Park garage has transferred a few 4000s to Kedzie garage. Looks like 4013-4021 odds have migrated bringing Kedzie's total up to 36. The 4000s are sprouting up more on the 125, 145, 148 and one to three times a week on the 157.

I predicted this would happen, to get the odds and evens together, and also because they need them. I was just on 4017 on the 156. I think they may get more from P.

I think Kedzie will get more too- probably another 10 or so. After all 150 are delivered, I can see Kedzie having 50 buses, 103rd having 30 buses. and North Park having 70 buses. If 208 buses are delivered, I can see Kedzie with 58 buses, 103rd with 45 buses, North Park with 80, and 77th with 25 buses.

• 2 weeks later...

A link to where Rodriguez announced ordering the 58, as mentioned in the news briefs: April President's Report (text).

Of course, MVTArider told us about this 6 months ago:

From New Flyer's website:

I must have missed something, is this an extension to the current deliveries bringing it to 150 or is this in addition? Or is this the delivery happening now with 4000 being the first?

A link to where Rodriguez announced ordering the 58, as mentioned in the news briefs: April President's Report (text).

Of course, MVTArider told us about this 6 months ago:

Interesting that CTA gives it's OK and will recieve buses 2 months later. I thought that they were always coming since the October date since NF stated they exercised options as in an actionable deed. The only question was would they have been BRT styled or not. All indications were for the BRT but now that that is up in the air, I guess not. More interesting is that Rodriguez leaves the door open for a possible return of NABI's. If they come back there would be close to 420 Artics out there.