#4000 Arrives

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

Since the May President's Report says that the stimulus buses are supposed to start arriving in June, and now it is May, apparently there won't be much of a gap.

Maybe, but then I heard tonight on the news that much bus, platform and rail car rehab is

being put on hold because they are (yup) broke (again). I guess someone forgot to tell

Mr Rodriguez.

• 3 weeks later...

#4000 was at 567 W. Lake today. I didn't know of this in advance, so unfortunately all I have are crappy cell phone pictures for now. Note the "K" sticker in the windshield.

The rear vents have been removed from bus #4000. Its now a flat white panel, consistent with the rest of the order.

Just spotted that bus this morning and noticed the change. Photo attached.

Is there a reason why the vents are used on the D40LFs but not on the DE60LFs?

In Seattle, it's the same way, where the artics have a flat panel but the 40 footers have open vents. Both units have some sort of HVAC unit in the back, so why aren't the vents needed for the artics?

As a bit of a side note, our prototype DE60LF unit still has the open-vent back.

In Seattle, it's the same way, where the artics have a flat panel but the 40 footers have open vents. Both units have some sort of HVAC unit in the back, so why aren't the vents needed for the artics?

As a bit of a side note, our prototype DE60LF unit still has the open-vent back.

Placement of the air conditioning unit. On the D40LF it's in the back, on the DE60LF it's on top of the bus.

The D40LFs have the complete Air Conditioning package in the rear, that being the compressor, condenser/fans, dryers, evaporators and blowers.

The condensers is why they have those extra vents, because it expels all the heat coming from the hotside of the AC unit.

The DE60LFs only has the compressor in the rear which is attached to the engine and, of course, the evaporator for the AC function in the trailer section of the unit. The condenser and its fans are located in the extended roof pack on the tractor section of the bus. If you're ever overhead of one, you'll see about 4 fans on the second half of the roofpack, that's for the condenser.

Hope it helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Again, better place

The more interesting part of the link was the pursuit of the 140 base order artics out of 900 mentioned before. that would put us to 348 and climbing if it happens. Also of interest is the gasoline hybrid aspect of that order, which sounds as if it's a new type.

Since it said ISE, here is their web page on it. The main application is Long Beach, CA.

So, I guess that ISE was not as out of the running as people here thought. Also, I wonder if this is one with the center axle powered, as I suggested would work better.

On rereading, I also noted that it was 5 ISE and 5 BAE. Up to now, BAE has mostly been associated with Orion.

Could an announcement somehow be linked to the October announcement of whether or not we get the olympics.

I think it was just a matter of using a stock photo of the lakefront with the one building (Blue Cross?) lit up for probably the Olympic Committee. The usual shot of the slant roof of the Stone Container Building is of course always there.

More interesting was why he had pictures of CSL Brill buses (as indicated by the Ill. C.C. No. 19 decal), but I guess that went with CTA was founded in 1947, and they did have the "Another New CTA Bus" signs on them.

Are we going to try Gasoline-Hybrid buses in the not too distant future?(if I interpret Bushunters strip from a post that Busjack copied from for his post) It'd be interesting to have a CTA hybrid bus series with a Ford Triton V-10 engine in it!!! :o This will be the first time the CTA had Gasoline engines since I'm guessing the 1940's, if what I'm reading is meant for our bus orders upcoming).

Are we going to try Gasoline-Hybrid buses in the not too distant future?(if I interpret Bushunters strip from a post that Busjack copied from for his post) It'd be interesting to have a CTA hybrid bus series with a Ford Triton V-10 engine in it!!! :o This will be the first time the CTA had Gasoline engines since I'm guessing the 1940's, if what I'm reading is meant for our bus orders upcoming).

Should be interesting to see a gasoline hybrid in an artic bus. Is this a first? Long Beach, CA's website seems to indicate it's on 40 footers, but has it been tried on 60's yet. For that matter has ISE technology been tried on an artic? Sounds like alot of experimenting. Though it may be better as far as pollution, we don't want to end up with junk either. Weird that they would be interested in this, after stating the #900's were the more unfavorable hybrid, versus the more common based version on the #800's.

There was no true need (other than for consisitency sake) to do this.
If they were like Pace, they would have to hire a decal removal contractor, and the dirty, sticky remains would probably still be visible. :huh: