Extra Service for Auto Show

BusExpert32

http://w.transitchicago.com/news/default.a...;ArticleId=2287

Isn't this type of service required to have a route number, even if it only operates for a few days each year?

Busjack, do you think this is a good way to avoid hassles when trying to get from downtown to McCormick Place for the Auto Show or anything major occuring there? Since, I recall that you had a hard time in 2005 when using the old #127 and then a #3 every 15-20 minutes.

Isn't this type of service required to have a route number, even if it only operates for a few days each year?

Busjack, do you think this is a good way to avoid hassles when trying to get from downtown to McCormick Place for the Auto Show or anything major occuring there? Since, I recall that you had a hard time in 2005 when using the old #127 and then a #3 every 15-20 minutes.

I guess after reconfiguring it only to have it not survive afterward, CTA didn't think 127 was valid to use anymore.

Since the frequency on 3 has improved (apparently no more midday short turns at 30th) I would think it would be the better bet, especially if the Auto Show bus is only every 15 minutes, and they run conventional equipment.

Of course, if you are getting on at the railroad stations, the buses will be empty there, but not if you are transferring from the subways.

No, the #130 only runs on weekends and holidays from late May to early September. You won't see any #130s around until May, and then, only on weekends and holidays throughout the summer.

The other issue is even if 130 did run now, it would only get you to Museum Campus and not McCormick Place for the Auto Show.

The other issue is even if 130 did run now, it would only get you to Museum Campus and not McCormick Place for the Auto Show.
Then, again, the regular 127 also only ran to the Museum Campus (until the restructuring), but that didn't stop CTA from using the 127 number on buses to the Auto Show. Also, the Auto Show 127s came from different garages than the regular ones (one year Archer, and another Chicago).

I suppose there will be some number for internal accounting purposes, and it will have to take observers to see if the headsigns were reprogrammed, or the old 127s show up. Our driver friends can tell (especially if the runs are out of C) us if the CDs were programmed in manual mode.

• 2 weeks later...

Then, again, the regular 127 also only ran to the Museum Campus (until the restructuring), but that didn't stop CTA from using the 127 number on buses to the Auto Show. Also, the Auto Show 127s came from different garages than the regular ones (one year Archer, and another Chicago).

I suppose there will be some number for internal accounting purposes, and it will have to take observers to see if the headsigns were reprogrammed, or the old 127s show up. Our driver friends can tell (especially if the runs are out of C) us if the CDs were programmed in manual mode.

Maybe I can shed some light on this for you...

post-386-1235058383_thumb.jpg

post-386-1235058406_thumb.jpg

post-386-1235058424_thumb.jpg

post-386-1235058460_thumb.jpg

post-386-1235058726_thumb.jpg

Our driver friends can tell (especially if the runs are out of C) us if the CDs were programmed in manual mode.

You guys came through!

Trainman was right that it was a 130, but not if he was implying that it would be announced as such.

Now, let's see if CTA management grouses because you posted the proof.:wub:

Also how are the runs allocated (i.e. is there a pick for this, or it goes to the extra board or overtime)?

You guys came through!

Trainman was right that it was a 130, but not if he was implying that it would be announced as such.

Now, let's see if CTA management grouses because you posted the proof.:wub:

Also how are the runs allocated (i.e. is there a pick for this, or it goes to the extra board or overtime)?

It went to the extra board. Kedzie,Archer,and Chicago is providing service

It went to the extra board. Kedzie,Archer,and Chicago is providing service
Thanks.

Also what is the meaning of the "courtesy stop" message? Just that it stops where there isn't a posted bus stop sign, as opposed to it only stops at the Metra Stations?

Thanks.

Also what is the meaning of the "courtesy stop" message? Just that it stops where there isn't a posted bus stop sign, as opposed to it only stops at the Metra Stations?

On the way back, they just want us to drop off and not pick anyone up on Canal. There was staff on hand on the corner of Madison and Canal at the service stop to direct intending customers over to Clinton to board the buses over there.

Yesterday my wife and I caught one of these buses, 1886, on Clinton, by the Ogilvie terminal, and it took us to Gate 26 at the lower level of McCormick Place. Couldn't have gone more smoothly.....

• Upvote 1

• 7 years later...

CTA Press Release for the 2017 Auto Show says that the two electric buses will be on the route. Didn't say if Elon Mosk was driving.

“Auto Show” Bus Route: Provides direct service to and from show aboard CTA’s two all-electric buses, during the following times:

Weekdays: approx. every 12 to 30 minutes from 9 a.m. until 10:30 p.m.
(Note: 9 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. on the last Monday).

Saturdays: approx. every 7.5 to 30 minutes from 9 a.m. until 10:30 p.m.

Sundays: approx. every 10 to 30 minutes from 9 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.

Buses displaying “”To Auto Show McCormick Pl” or “To Metra Stns – Via Downtown” on their destination signs can be boarded from the following locations:

Ogilvie Transportation Center: on Clinton at Madison

Union Station: corner of Clinton and Quincy or Jackson Boulevard and the Chicago River

Museum Campus: on Columbus at 11th Street

McCormick Place: at Gate #26 beneath McCormick Place

It also suggests taking the Green Line to Cemak, but that seems to leave too long of a walk for me.

Didnt say what else was running? Probably not the #6400's from fg, thats for sure. :P Probably the #7900's. They still look good and modern with their snazzy headlights. Probably when they get the electric bus order it will be the exclusive operating equipment on the auto show shuttle service.