Pace stiumulus package

Busjack

I also suppose that since Toyota and GMC can build a hybrid pickup truck, a hybrid paratransit vehicle shouldn't be that difficult.

I guess... but there are already hybrid vehicles out that are similar in size, like the New Flyer DE30LFR and the 30 Foot Hybrid that Eldorado Makes. a couple of specification changes and bam!, you got yourself a hybrid paratransit vehicles ;)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess... but there are already hybrid vehicles out that are similar in size, like the New Flyer DE30LFR and the 30 Foot Hybrid that Eldorado Makes. a couple of specification changes and bam!, you got yourself a hybrid paratransit vehicles ;)
Except that Pace uses cutaways for paratransit. They use the 30 foot ElDorado for regular transit service. As I noted above, they don't really believe that a 30 foot hybrid is worth it for them, but probably would take the grant if offered.

In any event, Pace isn't going to spend $500,000 for a vehicle to do a task that an $80,000 paratransit vehicle can do in a manner that is not cost efficient. In fact, I contend that a $30,000 minivan plus the cost of a lift conversion (such as what is used in the AdaVANtage Program) could do the job, as it does on the paratransit system in the city, where Pace contractors provide their own vehicles.

Except that Pace uses cutaways for paratransit. They use the 30 foot ElDorado for regular transit service. As I noted above, they don't really believe that a 30 foot hybrid is worth it for them, but probably would take the grant if offered.

No, i was misunderstood, i meant that since those other companys could make 30 foot hybrids, it should be easy to build a hybrid para transit vehicle, since it's basically just a few changes to the design. (The front would be cutaway like... the back would be pretty much consumed by hybrid equipment, lol) SEPTA also uses cutaways for paratransit and ELdorados for Transit, lol

No, i was misunderstood, i meant that since those other companys [sic] could make 30 foot hybrids, it should be easy to build a hybrid para transit vehicle, since it's basically just a few changes to the design.
Again it is a question that the chassis of a cutaway is the same as on a Ford or Chevy pickup truck, and ElDorado or some other company puts a plastic bus shell on top. It is using whatever diesel powertrain Ford or Chevy puts in its truck. Unlike a transit bus, it isn't manufacturing the bus from scratch with components from everyone else. The only ability NF or ElDo (or for that matter Orion, NABI, or Nova) shows is that it can fit in a system provided by Allison, ISE, or BAE.

However, as previously mentioned, the Allison hybrid system in a Tahoe is about the same as the Allison hybrid system in a bus, except for size.

I still haven't figured out why Pace, in effect, pulled the requests for contracts for routes 855 and 889, even though both called for the contractors to furnish equipment.

Maybe (as indicated in the Finance Committee Report noted above), they figured that since ARRA was paying for 58 ElDorados, they could divert the previous capital budget money for 38 ElDorados to the OTR proposal, and use grants from wherever (hotly debated where) to run the I55 BRT and Rosemont services themselves. Not being a clairvoyant, I can only surmise. Also, I can only surmise what happens if the ARRA grant gets messed up.

I believe the 855 route falls directly in line for the Pace BRT route proposal along I-55, so Pace is probably preparing for the day when it gets the funding for the new buses to be used on this route. I thought part of the proposal was to have a dedicated lane on I-55, but which lane? I think it makes the most sense to build an additional LEFT lane (wish they had done this when the Stevenson was rebuilt a few years back), the obvious problem being once in the left lane, bus should stay there.

I believe a far right lane ROW will cause interference and delay with merging traffic coming onto the expy and then having to merge with the other traffic, how many drivers will have problems "merging" out of a traffic free lane into jammed pack traffic? This iitself could cause delays for the BRT. I know on I-35W between Burnsville and Bloomington, a state trooper always had someone pulled over for riding single in an HOV lane, this was an everyday occurence..

Youre absolutely right. How does Pace justify the decision to purchase only 30ft buses when there are still a number of routes that would not be suitable for them, in my case the #606.

Here is a bus I came across in South Holland which is another possible option to purchasing only

30ft buses,for low ridership routes. :lol:

post-451-1246916119_thumb.jpg

post-451-1246916140_thumb.jpg

post-451-1246916183_thumb.jpg

Here is a bus I came across in South Holland which is another possible option to purchasing only

It looks like a NABI and it's not blue. Also, I don't think Pace is recycling fleet number 2000 yet. :rolleyes:

Sort of reminds me of the minature bus train CTA used at parades. Any information on how this one was used? How many managers can they pack into that? :lol:

How old are your pics? I ask because I noticed the old blue fishbowl with the Nortran logo in the background. I'm guessing it has to be recent given the mini does indeed look like a Pace Nabi.

How old are your pics? I ask because I noticed the old blue fishbowl with the Nortran logo in the background. I'm guessing it has to be recent given the mini does indeed look like a Pace Nabi.

These were taken just this afternoon,that is the NORTRAN 460 in the background.

The Pioneer Press indicates that Capt. Kirk and the rest of Highland Park politicos are trying to hold this up.

However, it seems like the Highland Park paper has a more recent story than the Deerfield one. In that they had a rally, and the Highland Park paper indicates that Pace is going ahead, anyway, it isn't clear how much authority the politicians have to block it. It sure looks though, that, compared to the CTA already getting deliveries, some wrench has been put into it.

I wonder if Kirk et al are behind a North Shore Orion and breathe all the soot coming out of its tailpipe.

The Pioneer Press indicates that Capt. Kirk and the rest of Highland Park politicos are trying to hold this up.

However, it seems like the Highland Park paper has a more recent story than the Deerfield one. In that they had a rally, and the Highland Park paper indicates that Pace is going ahead, anyway, it isn't clear how much authority the politicians have to block it. It sure looks though, that, compared to the CTA already getting deliveries, some wrench has been put into it.

I wonder if Kirk et al are behind a North Shore Orion and breathe all the soot coming out of its tailpipe.

To me, sounds like they are being fiscally responsible. Makes a lot of sense to take the money and get the maximum benefit out of it. Had the CTA done 40 foot diesels instead of 60 foot hybrids (after replacing the NABIs) there would be more there to retire Flxs if the desire is there. Sorry, I am not on board with the hybrid bandwagon...you could get a lot more for standard stuff than being politically correct and spending the farm on the technology. And when you balance the fuel savings against the base cost as well as the potential for costlier repairs down the road it is probably a push.