The Best Routes...

TECsBrain

I'm interested to see what your favorite CTA & PACE bus routes are. I'm looking in terms of running speed (no matter what the song says, I HATE stop-and-go!), equipment (which routes consistently run your favorite buses?), and scenery (am I looking at trailers or are there nice things to see?), but any other criteria that makes a route your favorite is fine.

147 going along the lakefront is scenic, and faster than taking the Red Line to Howard. 6 and 14 may have similar benefits going to the south side.

I liked the old 1 Drexel-Hyde Park for a leisurely ride along the Boulevard System, but that's long gone.

#80 isn't too scenic, but the Irving to Harlem bus turns into the Harlem/Irving Plaza(HIP) where you can do some shopping.  There is also an X80 Express Irving Park that serves this destination on weekdays only from 7:30a-9:30a and 1:30p to 7:30p.  Weekends and any other time it terminates at the Blue Line.  The #152 Addison isn't too scenic either, but take this bus East towards the lakefront and at Addison and Clark is historic Wrigley Field.  Good photo-op right there!:D

• 6 months later...

My favorite PACE route would be #426 Northwestern University Evanston/Chicago because it runs from Evanston then mostly nonstop to downtown on Sharidan then at Hollywood LSD to Chestnut, When I went I had gotten an Orion I (My favorite PACE bus), you could also see a few NABI's with the new logo and colors on this route.

My favorite CTA route is #173 U of C/Lakeview Express because the areas it serves and because of its buses like the old 4900 and the present Orion I.

For a senic route i would say *14, because it runs on Lake Shore Dr. You get the best view! Plus it connects me with #151,#147,etc. Even *#28,mostly every bus on the route is a Orion I. For PACE it would be, #383 ,*#215,*#422, I have alot of favorite PACE routes!

*Favorite, because of Orion I.

• 1 month later...

In response to Busjack: The #1 is still in existence. It just runs during rush hours.

My vote has to be for the #156 LaSalle. Its relatively on time and faster because it runs along Stockton Drive right by the zoo. Plus, going right by the zoo is scenic with the glimpse of the pond and all of that. Finally, a ton of NABI articulated buses are run on this route (it seems like more than half are) and strangely almost none are on the #22 and #36.

In response to Busjack: The #1 is still in existence. It just runs during rush hours.
Not the Drexel-Hyde Park. The #1 that runs now is essentially the Indiana - 51st and should have kept its old number 38 (except that number is now going to Odgen-Taylor). The Indiana bus has none of the benefits of the old Drexel-Hyde Park route, including the excursion through the Michael Reese-Lake Meadows-Douglas neighborhood, and down Drexel Blvd.

As far as I am concerned, the #1 Indiana should be cancelled, as it is not needed to meet service standards. It is 1 or 2 blocks from the Green Line and #3 and #29 buses.

I don't think I've ever seen a NABI on the 22. Mostly TMCs with a few New Flyers here and there.

Its been done before. In fact, I rode a NABI last summer several times while on an N22 and 36 run, which by far is stretching it a bit.

But if you're downtown during a summer festival (3rd of july, taste of chicago, etc.), it is very much possible to get a NABI.

never. say. never.

One more vote for 147 because of the scenery along the lakefront and when it runs TMCs, one of my favorite current bus models since the retirement of the Americanas. I'd also vote for 6, 14, and X28 for similar reasons, though I haven't had chance to ride an Orion from the 4915 series. It's cool when I catch a NOVA when taking the 6 to and from the Museum of Science and Industry. Plus a vote for 126 because it's been a favorite route of mine from the Americana days. X49 because it's got the Flyer 1000s. As you can see, I have quite a few favorites on the CTA.

• 2 months later...