Things to Keep Your Eye On in The Upcoming Months

trainman8119

Many changes appear to be in the pipeline on the upper end of Metra management. "Uncle Phil" Pagano and his top deputy are slated for retirement soon (and not soon enough, I might add !!).

The reported replacement as ED is known to have at least railroad knowledge. So, there is at

least a little bit of hope there.

With the new hours of service law affecting the UP and the BNSF (sooner rather than later) because of their freight operation, the UP is pushing to rid themselves of commuter service (something they never wanted any part in anyway). They want Metra to buy them out...the commuter portion. There are issues to be ironed out, primarily labor, and of course, where would Metra get any kind of money to orchestrate a buyout. But...it is something to keep an eye on over the next couple of months (or so).

Many changes appear to be in the pipeline on the upper end of Metra management. "Uncle Phil" Pagano and his top deputy are slated for retirement soon (and not soon enough, I might add !!).

The reported replacement as ED is known to have at least railroad knowledge. So, there is at

With the new hours of service law affecting the UP and the BNSF (sooner rather than later) because of their freight operation, the UP is pushing to rid themselves of commuter service (something they never wanted any part in anyway). They want Metra to buy them out...the commuter portion. There are issues to be ironed out, primarily labor, and of course, where would Metra get any kind of money to orchestrate a buyout. But...it is something to keep an eye on over the next couple of months (or so).

The only money part would be if Metra bought out the right of way. It appears that the only UP row that is purely commuter is the North Line. The RTA bought the equipment in the 70s (and has junked most of that). I don't really foresee a payment for "goodwill," since Metra owns the trademark, and the run is not profitable.

The more interesting question would be the transition of the employees from UP to NIRCRC. The only comparable would seem to be when the RTA took over the IC operation.

I'm surprised there hasn't been much comment on this board on the ongoing Tribune series that Metra is behind the times. CTA might be more technologically advanced in some areas, but it does not seem to run as efficient an operation as Metra.

I'm surprised there hasn't been much comment on this board on the ongoing Tribune series that Metra is behind the times. CTA might be more technologically advanced in some areas, but it does not seem to run as efficient an operation as Metra.

I have been resisting, because it makes my blood boil. But here goes. First of all, for all of those people who think it takes so long to walk up and down the aisle punching 10-rides and single

cash fares, just know how long it will take to scan every single ticket in the event their wish becomes reality...because that is exactly what will happen....and there will probably be no mercy if they didn't buy their 10-ride or monthly because they "forgot" or "didn't have the time".

Secondly, as for those who are crying for a system that has machines to issue tickets...remember the hoopla on the Electric District regarding the gates and all the whining about removing them (yes, to be like everyone else). That same type of system would be put in place at every station in the system...and again, no mercy if you don't already have a ticket when boarding a train. You think lines are long for parking spots...add another 10 minutes to purchase tickets.

You want credit cards...you can bet Metra will charge an additional fee for those who want to use them (similar to what Amoco did many years ago if you didn't pay cash for gas).

I just don't understand the reasoning why so many people to want Metra to "come down" to the level of the CTA !!!!! They have always been a better run more fiscally responsible service board. My bet is that the wisenheimers will eventually get what they want, and will regret it !!!!!!

I just don't understand the reasoning why so many people to want Metra to "come down" to the level of the CTA !!!!! They have always been a better run more fiscally responsible service board. My bet is that the wisenheimers will eventually get what they want, and will regret it !!!!!!

Me either. I mentioned the need for robo conductor before, and you didn't seem to like that. :lol:

There was also the Tribune article on a state legislator putting in a bill that Metra had to take credit cards, and the expected response that the legislature had more important business to take care of first.

How long dose Metra's contract with UP and BNSF Last and just how would Metra do it? Please let me know thank you

How long dose Metra's contract with UP and BNSF Last and just how would Metra do it? Please let me know thank you
Don't have the dates of the contracts, but I suppose that if the railroads came to Metra to renegotiate the terms of an existing contract, that would happen. Also as how they would do it, it would either be a negotiated purchase or by condemnation (the latter not likely).

Now, if you are asking how Metra would do such things as merge seniority lists, I don't know, but that obviously happened when NIRCRC took over the Milwaukee Road, Rock Island, and IC local commuter operations. Of course, the first two were facilitated or forced by the fact that the railroads were in bankruptcy.

Now, if you are asking how Metra would do such things as merge seniority lists, I don't know, but that obviously happened when NIRCRC took over the Milwaukee Road, Rock Island, and IC local commuter operations.

Basically, they "feather" the seniority lists. In this case, the UP people would have a current Metra employment/seniority date with "prior right" to work on the UP, along with maintaining benefits that UP may offer that Metra does not. Should someone there wish to work on a current Metra district, their seniority would fall. If a Metra person would want to work on the UP, they more than likely would fall underneath...at least until a time when things would even out...so to speak. Should someone hire out after a combining, they would fall under Metra contract, pay, rules, seniority, etc. It is your classic 2 tier, double standard pay/benefit scale.

In the case of the prior righted IC, Milwaukee Road and Rock Island personnel, they generally get paid a tad more to start and additional perks (usually entiltlements such as added time on tie-ups) or, for example, a guarantee number of positions on a section (example, when new Antioch service was inaugurated).

Here's an update on the concept of the universal fare card/ credit card vendors...
Still wondering what the technological advances Hamos mentioned are, especially given the zone fare and open platforms. I previously agreed that a bank smart card seemed to provide the agency-neutral link.

• 2 years later...

Among the dearth of news today was the Daily Herald story on possible fare hikes, with the lead "... but Metra directors did agree Friday it's time to crack down on conductors who don't collect fares."

However, from that story, it appears that any fare hikes would be part of the budget, and hence not effective until 2012.

They were also talking about locking in diesel fuel prices, but unlike the CTA, whose CFO said "fuel was only slightly over the $4.50 budget at $4.69" in 2009 when the market price was about $1.69 (according to that article, unless CTA burns liquid gold), the Metra Executive Director realized "we'll be heroes if it goes up and criticized if it goes down..." So, maybe there is a benefit in not having politically inbred management, for a change.

Don't have the dates of the contracts, but I suppose that if the railroads came to Metra to renegotiate the terms of an existing contract, that would happen. Also as how they would do it, it would either be a negotiated purchase or by condemnation (the latter not likely).

Funny I found this quote. Just recently the CTA tried an end around with UP with regard to the rent it pays UP to share right of way between Laramie and Harlem on the Green Line. CTA tried the condemnation way and UP won an injunction blocking it based on Federal law taking precedent of state law. I believe the CTA appealed and lost. While I don't think this will have much affect on Green Line service, I wonder what affect it will have on the proposed Red Line extension, since much of that routing south of 95th is on UP r.ow. Because the Green Line agreement has been in place for years dating back to the old CNW, I think UP will work something out with CTA in regard to rent payment. Because of that litigation, I wonder if UP would play hard ball with CTA with the proposed Red Line extension, seeing that is probably the preferred route. Perhaps CTA will be forced to consider the Bishop Ford or I-57 routes as alternatives. I just believe Michigan Ave and Halsted would be too costly.

Funny I found this quote. Just recently the CTA tried an end around with UP with regard to the rent it pays UP to share right of way between Laramie and Harlem on the Green Line. CTA tried the condemnation way and UP won an injunction blocking it based on Federal law taking precedent of state law. I believe the CTA appealed and lost. While I don't think this will have much affect on Green Line service, I wonder what affect it will have on the proposed Red Line extension, since much of that routing south of 95th is on UP r.ow....

I was thinking more of a friendly condemnation. However, your point is similar to Krambles noting that the CTA had to buy out the Milwaukee Road to get whatever ownership interest it has of the north side L on the embankment north of Wilson. Apparently, CTA did not buy up the CNW r.o.w. on the Lake St. embankment.

I would think, given the UP's attitude to passenger service infringing on freight, that it would be even more obstructionist if what the CTA wants to do with the Red Line extension would affect its operations. However, since UP isn't paying me to research the legal issue you raise, I'll pass. I do find it curious that both CTA and Metra think that they can use that corridor. ...

Which gets us back to a subject of more currency and within scope...The Executive Director of Metra said something yesterday on News Views about the south suburbs setting up a tax district to support the Southeast Service, and apparently, such a law is in effect.

• 1 month later...

Well here's an update on changes on the fare side of things. ABC7 News reports that apparently Metra is going to go with a 28% across the board increase in fares with no change to service for next year. Service cuts weren't considered because of a reported directive for the Metra board not to touch service to balance the budget. Under the reasoning that fare increases to keep the trains running hadn't been keeping up with inflation, the proposal was originally to go with a 40-69% increase for city riders and approximately 18-30% increase for suburban riders. That inequity caused a huge stink with some state lawmakers and obviously the board members representing the city. So they reworked the numbers to come up with the 28% increase for everybody. As of that report given shortly after 11am this morning, the board voted on that proposal and is said to have approved it.

Fox News said that while the Metra board was going to back down on the extent of the short ride increase (apparently A-B or two zone tickets), monthlies were going to get a much bigger percentage increase than single ride tickets.

Apparently the stink (as pointed out by Scooter Libby on the CTA Tattler) was that up to now, the fare jump from A to B was less than the usual 50 cents jump between all other zones, because a higher fare was not sustainable, but the proposed fare charts originally posted by Metra indicated an even slope, which implied that the AB ticket would be much higher, which the later stink indicates would have been the case.

I guess, though, that we will have to wait until they print the proposed fare structure in their budget.

And, of course, still no sight of a CTA budget.

I guess, though, that we will have to wait until they print the proposed fare structure in their budget.

And, of course, still no sight of a CTA budget.

Proposed fare structure is available on the Metra Website.

Go to Newsroom > 10/14/2011Proposed 2012 Budget, with fare increases, released for public comment

to download the fare tables.

Proposed fare structure is available on the Metra Website.

Go to Newsroom > 10/14/2011Proposed 2012 Budget, with fare increases, released for public comment

to download the fare tables.

Thanks.

What it looks like they did (for single fares) is that the base went up 50 cents ($2.25 to $2.75), and they maintained the increments at 50 cents, except that the increment from the second to the third zone goes up from $1.00 to $1.25. This means that rides in the first two zones go up 50 cents, while those in remaining zones go up 75 cents.

As indicated, one ride would go up an average of 15% and passes 30%. However, 3 zones would be much more than that (21%). In that the Auditor General said that those beyond Zone E were not paying their share, this just exaggerates that.

Considering who were the instigators behind this protest, in that Zone C kicks in at 83rd Street on the ME main line, I guess they didn't figure that out. The monthly for them would go up from $90 to $121, or 34%.

An aside if anyone can figure it out: When I use Firefox 7.0, metrarail.com resolves to the cell phone site, while using IE, it resolves to the usual site. While there is a link to the "desktop version," does anyone know why it does that?