Artic routes

dre_cta6221

The loads between Union Station and Diversey are so heavy that the artics are needed on the weekends. On another note the 145's had artics on Saturday.

The 145 has artics today aswell, that route too was being run by 40 footers on weekends when I was in Chicago.

Did the same thing happen last summer?

Back when I lived on the north side (last year), I saw many a 7500 on the 145 (and at times on the 146). When you have such a high demand of passengers coming from the North LSD Corridor to Downtown, it would make more sense to use the artics.

Then again, 10 years ago, we didn't have many of the artics to use on the weekends and the 40 footers were at crush capacity.

The 145 has artics today aswell, that route too was being run by 40 footers on weekends when I was in Chicago.

Did the same thing happen last summer?

Likely a summer change like on the 151 with higher demand due to a lot of tourists coming through town during the summer months. It didn't happen last summer on the 145, but did on 151. As I recall since being at Kedzie 40 footers had been the standard for weekend 145 runs regardless of time of year. Weekend ridership is probaly quite a bit higher than last summer on the 145. On more thing to consider is Taste of Chicago and the Fourth of July holiday are just around the corner and we're also in the time of weekend music festivals at Grant Park, so there's also likely a spike in N. Michigan Avenue ridership due to those events to warrant all the N Michigan routes traveling to and from the northside using all those artics this weekend.

Speaking of artic routes, does Kedzie run artics on any other routes besides the 145 and 151 on weekends?

Also before the NABIs retired apparently the 6 and the 14 were assigned to artics on weekends. Now it seems both of the routes get assigned to 40 footers on weekends. So did 77th and 103rd lose such a substantial ammont of artics that they can't put out any on the 6 and the 14 on weekends?

Speaking of artic routes, does Kedzie run artics on any other routes besides the 145 and 151 on weekends?

Also before the NABIs retired apparently the 6 and the 14 were assigned to artics on weekends. Now it seems both of the routes get assigned to 40 footers on weekends. So did 77th and 103rd lose such a substantial ammont of artics that they can't put out any on the 6 and the 14 on weekends?

They used to run them on occasion on the 50 and 82, this was before Kedzie has some more artic work (ie . the 145) to put them to use.

Going off subject...u used to see artics also on the 290 (CTA supplements) as most of the 290 supplemental trips were from the 147...of which has seemingly "quietly" phased out.

Also before the NABIs retired apparently the 6 and the 14 were assigned to artics on weekends. Now it seems both of the routes get assigned to 40 footers on weekends. So did 77th and 103rd lose such a substantial ammont [sic] of artics that they can't put out any on the 6 and the 14 on weekends?

77 lost a substantial amount, but the result was more that there aren't weekday artics on routes such as 3, 79, and 87. As far as 103 is concerned, there apparently are not enough artics to run 26 weekdays with them.

Weekend operating frequency isn't so heavy on any route that equipment issues should arise. There were various times when 14 or its predecessors were or were not artics on weekends before this. If CTA continued to publish weekday, Sat. and Sun. productivity numbers for each route, outsiders could tell if artics. were necessary on Sat. and Sun., but now they report only the average for the day, which does not give one an idea of the load per bus.

I suppose that CTA still has a service standard that an artic is justified only if the passenger load is at least 90.

i'm gonna try to find a DE60LF on the #29 which is a good day to find one?

The night of July 3rd when supplemental service is in place on a lot of routes for fireworks service is likely a good time. For that matter, various times during the Taste when service is ramped up may be a good chance. Outside of that I'd say look forward to seeing 40 footers, mostly NF 1000s.

The night of July 3rd when supplemental service is in place on a lot of routes for fireworks service is likely a good time. For that matter, various times during the Taste when service is ramped up may be a good chance. Outside of that I'd say look forward to seeing 40 footers, mostly NF 1000s.

You can also likely find them on the 66, assumming North park will be supplementing again.

You can also likely find them on the 66, assuming North Park will be supplementing again.
I would look for them this weekend as well. At least making a short run between Navy Pier and the Blue Line "L" at Ogden | Milwaukee.

(How do they turn the bus at Milwaukee?)

CTA has notices in place stating that in observance of the July 4th holiday, only routes that have Sunday service will operate on July 3rd. From the sounds of that Sunday/holiday schedules will be in effect in addition to the obvious July 4 and 5. That frees up artics at Kedzie and NP that would normally operate the 134, 135, 136, 136, 145, 148 and 156 to name some of the routes that come to mind that won't run next Friday along with some artics at 103rd that might otherwise operate on say 14, 26 which I noticed has gotten some artics back, along with what 192 uses. There's going to be extra supplement service on 3, 4, 12, 29 and several NP downtown routes that will run on Friday after the big fireworks show. Given that supplements have come different garages than a route's home garage in the past along with that route's home garage placing artics on routes that otherwise don't get them outside of for huge events like this that are going on, it's possible to see artics on the 3, 4, 12, 29, 126 to name some, and possibly 22 or 36 as well.

22 is getting at least one 4000 in the morning that likely leaves Howard ~ 0545 to get to Clark/Division around 0645. I'm not sure how many others end up on the 22 throughout the day, but they might start becoming regulars.

[edit]

There's going to be extra supplement service on 3, 4, 12, 29 and several NP downtown routes that will run on Friday after the big fireworks show. Given that supplements have come different garages than a route's home garage in the past along with that route's home garage placing artics on routes that otherwise don't get them outside of for huge events like this that are going on, it's possible to see artics on the 3, 4, 12, 29, 126 to name some, and possibly 22 or 36 as well.

Route #29 State got a couple of articulateds assigned {see photo 1}.

Route #65 Grand got a pair of Novas from Forest Glen Garage. (!) {see photo 2} Is Chicago Garage that short of buses?

post-444-1246667731_thumb.jpg

post-444-1246667780_thumb.jpg

Route #29 State got a couple of articulateds assigned {see photo 1}.

Route #65 Grand got a pair of Novas from Forest Glen Garage. (!) {see photo 2} Is Chicago Garage that short of buses?

In regards to the Novas from Forest Glen, likely supplements for today because of the Fireworks show. 65 is one of the routes that got extra service today from one o'clock leading up to the start of the Fireworks.

#12 got at least two artics today, 4021 and 4024, both of which I spotted in real time rather than on Tracker when coming from work, and had 4012 operating yesterday.

Apparently. I saw a handful of 74th buses working the 20 for the taste rush.

Taste of Chicago/July 3rd Fireworks supplements guys. This is an every year thing for mixes of buses from different garages for routes not assigned to those garages. It was a similar situation last year. I remember seeing Kedzie and 103rd NFs running the 3 and 4 for the Fireworks last year.