Artic routes

dre_cta6221

7, 8, and 126 on very rare occasions had arctics, with 7 and 126 having had them within the last couple weeks before the NABIs were pulled from service. 52 and 82 have had then during weekday rush hours. 125 and 157 have also been reported to have had artics. 148 also uses them considering the 145/148 interline. 103rd has also used some of its artics on the X28 in recent weeks. 15 did have them in NABI days. Now that 77th has artics again check out the 6 for sure and maybe 3, X3, 4 or X4.

7, 8, and 126 on very rare occasions had arctics, with 7 and 126 having had them within the last couple weeks before the NABIs were pulled from service. 52 and 82 have had then during weekday rush hours. 125 and 157 have also been reported to have had artics. 148 also uses them considering the 145/148 interline. 103rd has also used some of its artics on the X28 in recent weeks. 15 did have them in NABI days. Now that 77th has artics again check out the 6 for sure and maybe 3, X3, 4 or X4.

I see them ocassionally on the 126 now and then, and every blue moon on the 36. We do we think the next batch of 58 buses will end up? I think:

Kedzie = 15-20 more

77th = 15-20 more

103rd = 20 more

This was quite some time ago, but I also remember seeing one on the 8 in the morning rush. There should be also a few on the 26.

has any nf artics been seen on the #29 recently

There used to be an artic that would run the #29 for the afternoon rush, It seemed to be the same run. It would show up about 2:30 or 3:00 P.M. on the South end and hit the loop around 3:40 and exit about 40 minutes later. I haven't seen it lately though. There is another artic run that runs now in the afternoon on the #X28 now. It's just one bus and it appears to show up on different runs on that route. But it's likely that it will be on there today. I'm kind of surprised I don't see more on the #26, (In fact I haven't seen any lately) especially with the increase in artics at 103rd from this latest transfer. They should have about 10 - 15 more artics than they had.

There used to be an artic that would run the #29 for the afternoon rush, It seemed to be the same run. It would show up about 2:30 or 3:00 P.M. on the South end and hit the loop around 3:40 and exit about 40 minutes later. I haven't seen it lately though. There is another artic run that runs now in the afternoon on the #X28 now. It's just one bus and it appears to show up on different runs on that route. But it's likely that it will be on there today. I'm kind of surprised I don't see more on the #26, (In fact I haven't seen any lately) especially with the increase in artics at 103rd from this latest transfer. They should have about 10 - 15 more artics than they had.

this latest transfer only increased 103rd by 8 buses (4042-4049), but I am also suprised there arent more on the 26...

Route #147 Outer Drive Express articulated buses will sporadically get a downtown run on route #151 Sheridan after the former route ceases running {n.b.: Sunday evenings}.

But I would not characterize this as "commonly".

I shall again mention that some late night runs westbound on north side streets like Fullerton, Belmont, & Lawrence could use an articulated due to their traffic loads.

Route #147 Outer Drive Express articulated buses will sporadically get a downtown run on route #151 Sheridan after the former route ceases running {n.b.: Sunday evenings}.

But I would not characterize this as "commonly".

I shall again mention that some late night runs westbound on north side streets like Fullerton, Belmont, & Lawrence could use an articulated due to their traffic loads.

I would agree, Belmont could use a couple during evening rush hour. As for the first comment ive seen artics run downtown as 151's then return north as 136's at least a couple of times a week.

I would agree, Belmont could use a couple during evening rush hour. As for the first comment ive seen artics run downtown as 151's then return north as 136's at least a couple of times a week.

There's also the reports that Kedzie has been using its 4000s more on its weekend 151 runs as well as the 147 now having been operated with mostly 4000s just about every day now that NP has more to use. There have been more than just a few of the last NB Sunday 147s becoming 151s. Either way artic runs on 151 either from NP or Kedzie have been quite a bit more than just sporadic.

• 4 weeks later...

North Park Garage runs school trips on the #50.

I've also noticed a few 4000s running the #92 Foster during rush hour. It makes sense to run a few of the deadheading North Park buses along Foster as #92s.

Some deadheading NP buses have operated as 92s for quite a number of years. I remembering riding Americanas on the 92 up to NP garage after they were done with their runs on the 146 as well as seeing TMCs heading back to NP as 92s.

Some deadheading NP buses have operated as 92s for quite a number of years. I remembering riding Americanas on the 92 up to NP garage after they were done with their runs on the 146 as well as seeing TMCs heading back to NP as 92s.

Why is the 92 a Forest Glen Route if it goes right past NP? Is it because Jefferson Park Blue Line/Metra is a better relief point?

Why is the 92 a Forest Glen Route if it goes right past NP? Is it because Jefferson Park Blue Line/Metra is a better relief point?
I think it is a matter that it always has been (at one time it was interlined with NW Hwy), going back to when there was a Lawrence Garage on Lawrence near Milwaukee. Some sources indicated that there was a short time, after the small garages were consolidated into NP, but before FG opened, when NP ran most of the north side bus routes, but that quickly ended when routes such as 22 and 36 were converted to bus.

Pretty much everything crosstown from Peterson through Irving Park belonged to Forest Glen (Irving Park, Lawrence, and Montrose because they were trolley bus routes) and the only route to really flip in that area was 152, which went from Keeler to NP to mostly FG.

There have been and still are some routes that passed other garages, such as Cottage Grove passing 52nd (the reason being that 52nd was a boulevard route garage and couldn't handle Cottage Grove, although it lost South Park (now King Drive)), 24 turning around at the former Beverly Garage at 104th and Vincenmes, and 22 and 36 mostly from North Park going by Limits.* Of course, now you have 29 passing 77th.

I have argued that NP wasn't located in the right place, since it basically serves routes on LSD or in Rogers Park, but there doesn't seem to be the land to move it to Rogers Park. It is also mislocated in that it is parallel to both Kedzie (on Kedzie) and Forest Glen (near Foster).

Furthermore, given the shift of routes last year from NP to K, it doesn't seem very likely that something would be moved in.

_____

*At one time I wondered about that, but not anymore.

Going along with that; when North Park was constructed and opened, it was the designated home garage for CTA's propane-fueled buses. Propane fueling was more hazardous. I surmise the Authority wanted to keep its alternate fuel buses :P away from other buses in case of a fire.

So it was more that those buses, which could have been on a variety of routes, were there.

The trend has been to assign routes to garages exclusively (with limited exceptions).

Propane fueling was more hazardous. I surmise the Authority wanted to keep its alternate fuel buses :P away from other buses in case of a fire.
There was some of that (i.e. Lawndale is reported to have lost its propanes for that reason), but there were both trolley buses and propane buses at North and Cicero and Forest Glen. Maybe one can argue that there were the fire walls at North and Cicero, and separate yards at FG.

Diesels and propanes were mixed at 77th, Archer, and Kedzie and I believe Beverly (at least during the era of the 3000s). The mix came to NP in the late 70s.

The one barn that stayed all propane until it fairly instantly turned all diesel was 69th. Limits and the garages inherited from CMC were all diesel.

If you want to talk about hazards, how were hydrogen fueling and bus storage handled at Chicago during the short tenure of the 5900s fuel cell buses?*

_________________-

*Krambles claimed that propane fueling was relatively safe, because there would be only a torch at the leak, rather than spreading flames and the fuel tanks on the bus were made out of heavy plate steel. I wonder if a hydrogen bus would become the next Hindenburg.

I've noticed this weekend that the 151 has been almost entirely ran by artics, both the Kedzie and North Park runs. On Friday I also noticed a few Kedzie artics on the 151. When I was in Chicago about a month ago I didn't see a single artic on the 151 during weekdays and on the weekend there was just a couple Kedzie artics out on it.

So when did this change happen and is it just for the summer?

I've noticed this weekend that the 151 has been almost entirely ran by artics, both the Kedzie and North Park runs. On Friday I also noticed a few Kedzie artics on the 151. When I was in Chicago about a month ago I didn't see a single artic on the 151 during weekdays and on the weekend there was just a couple Kedzie artics out on it.

So when did this change happen and is it just for the summer?

I noticed the same thing. It just for the summer to handle michigan ave loads.