New Express Routes Coming Soon.

jesi2282

4 hours ago, Sam92 said:

So in other words you emphasize EVEN MORE that bringing MCIs to Chicago just for the sake of diversifying fleet as the original commenter is both pointless AND an added expense. Replacing a 60 ft vehicle with 40-45ft one is a step backward ESPECIALLY if you have to add runs to the route. I doubt UofC would go for that and pay that extra money. I can't speak for what goes on in NY or NJ but I DO know that MCI is a TOURIST/CHARTER focused bus build. That's why the few of them we have with pace are again used on LONG HAUL COMMUTE routes. 

It's obvious that someone to whom you replied is only interested in a plush velour seat in a black car for a $1.25 ride. Maybe he can get it from UberX. CTA isn't in that business. Pace has definitely said it is in the public transportation business. He might have to stand.

Since this is in a PACE thread:

Pace route 855 was at one time the ONLY route that offered motorcoach service.  For years, it was contracted out to Greyhound,  Keeshin/Coach USA,  Neal's, and Mid-America.  Pace didn't run the service itself until the Bus On Shoulder service was implemented and expanded on the I 55 corridor.

Pace introduced  its motorcoach service on routes  877 and 888 and for a time also used them on 891 and 892 UPS Service between UPS Hodgkins and Indiana.   877=888 went to transits when South went to CNG.

THE I -90 Bus on Shoulder  expansion used Suburbans rather than motorcoaches.  Motorcoach service is considered premium service now .

• 5 months later...

Although only an engineering proposal at this point, Pace is contemplating an inline station on I-55 at Harlem Ave. I suppose like the I-90 one at Barrington Road and to interchange with the Harlem Pulse. Makes sense if there are riders between the far southwest suburbs and the near west ones.

Update: I see that @Pace831  had an earlier news item foreshadowing this.

image.png

• 4 weeks later...