New Express Routes Coming Soon.

jesi2282

On the board agenda:

• Ordinance authorizing execution of a technical assistance grant agreement and any necessary amendments with IDOT to investigate the feasibility of constructing an inline bus rapid transit (BRT) station along the Interstate 55 Stevenson Expressway.

• Ordinance authorizing execution of a technical assistance grant agreement and any necessary amendments with IDOT to obtain grant assistance to investigate potential transit markets within a three-mile radius of the Interstate 290 Eisenhower Expressway, between the Interstate 355 junction in Addison and IL-171/1st Avenue in Forest Park.

• 1 year later...

https://chi.streetsblog.org/2021/11/17/the-city-of-the-big-shoulders-celebrates-10-years-of-pace-bus-on-shoulder/

The 10th anniversary of bus on shoulder was this week. I find it interesting how it has grown from basically nothing to something special. The ridership increases have been astronomical alone. 

7 hours ago, BusHunter said:

https://chi.streetsblog.org/2021/11/17/the-city-of-the-big-shoulders-celebrates-10-years-of-pace-bus-on-shoulder/

The 10th anniversary of bus on shoulder was this week. I find it interesting how it has grown from basically nothing to something special. The ridership increases have been astronomical alone. 

Shows how just a little investment will go a long way. Too bad cta fumbled tge BRT funding and got all these bike lanes. Even if BRT itself turned out to not be as feasible in some routes we could’ve BEEN had this stuff that bus slow zone elimination is JUST NOW getting to. Can you imagine how much grief a loop link set up could possibly save on Illinois and Grand in streeterville for 29 and 65? Like as a biker I can say I guess I’m grateful but you want more riders let people see how the buses get better treatment in traffic. You could set a queue jump at the Michigan over pass for 29 state drivers, move the lane to the left for them so they can maybe get that left turn in less time. They need to quit focusing on the trains, they’re moving choke points around at this point and stuff like this would at least make the trip back and forth to the trains in the loop from streeterville a bit easier 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Shows how just a little investment will go a long way. Too bad cta fumbled tge BRT funding and got all these bike lanes. Even if BRT itself turned out to not be as feasible in some routes we could’ve BEEN had this stuff that bus slow zone elimination is JUST NOW getting to. Can you imagine how much grief a loop link set up could possibly save on Illinois and Grand in streeterville for 29 and 65? Like as a biker I can say I guess I’m grateful but you want more riders let people see how the buses get better treatment in traffic. You could set a queue jump at the Michigan over pass for 29 state drivers, move the lane to the left for them so they can maybe get that left turn in less time. They need to quit focusing on the trains, they’re moving choke points around at this point and stuff like this would at least make the trip back and forth to the trains in the loop from streeterville a bit easier 

Best thing is all these bike lanes are basically obsolete in the winter. So you have a basically empty lane being used on the street. CTA ran so much better when it had all the X routes. It wasnt brt but it was something. 

What Pace has shown is you dont always need a train line for long distance fast service. With the gas prices approaching 4 bucks, you can bet there will be even more lining up for this service. It should be a good year for transit, im already noticing empty streets when I drive my bus, but the buses are packed. It would be a good time to introduce some smart transit and maybe they wouldnt lose those riders back if the fuel prices ever come down. 

23 hours ago, Sam92 said:

I feel that last point. As it stands now, I don't think there's anything further that can be done (or will be done) in the next 1-2 years to improve rail's operational efficiency, RPB was the last one, and there are very few big & necessary projects left. We're at the stage where extensions, spurs and infill stations are what's left, and the first two aren't easy, and the last one is running out of viable candidates.

Bring back the X routes!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/24/2023 at 6:04 PM, Busjack said:

Pace is suggesting using BOS to get around construction on the Kennedy Expressway. With expanded Blue Line service, and possibly expanding 626 service to the Yellow Line, that would make sense.

It'll be interesting to see what the ridership numbers (bus and rail) would be impacted, especially if there's capacity issues on the 626 (or increasing span of service). 

1 hour ago, MetroShadow said:

It'll be interesting to see what the ridership numbers (bus and rail) would be impacted, especially if there's capacity issues on the 626 (or increasing span of service). 

The capacity question I raised was based on while 626 was originally more evenly split, there are only 3 trips each way in the rush direction, while there are 11 a.m. and 9 p.m. trips in the reverse rush direction. I'm defining reverse rush as to businesses in the Deerfield and Buffalo Grove areas, but the elimination of the Shuttle Bugs indicates that that market has dried up. On the other hand, unless the 626 rush direction is restructured, the only P&R is at Buffalo Grove, which is also a Metra (NCS) station. So, while BOS is a way to get around traffic jams that are starting to develop on the Edens, it may not be much of a solution, as now formulated.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

The capacity question I raised was based on while 626 was originally more evenly split, there are only 3 trips each way in the rush direction, while there are 11 a.m. and 9 p.m. trips in the reverse rush direction. I'm defining reverse rush as to businesses in the Deerfield and Buffalo Grove areas, but the elimination of the Shuttle Bugs indicates that that market has dried up. On the other hand, unless the 626 rush direction is restructured, the only P&R is at Buffalo Grove, which is also a Metra (NCS) station. So, while BOS is a way to get around traffic jams that are starting to develop on the Edens, it may not be much of a solution, as now formulated.

626 has historically been a reverse commute route.  It became bidirectional upon the completion of the Buffalo Grove Park N Ride.  In effect,  trips that were once deadheading to/from Skokie became live trips.  A side effect was the elimination of the interline some trips had with the 691

Once the NCS started operating,  that killed the 691 and pretty much any peak direction 626 ridership.   In essence the 626 won't see any ridership gains or service expansions.

The I - 90 expresses may or may not fare any better.  Metra would probably be the better option for many of those riders 

11 hours ago, artthouwill said:

The I - 90 expresses may or may not fare any better.  Metra would probably be the better option for many of those riders 

The difference is that I-90 splits the difference between the UP-NW and MD-W, and, except for 603 at the Elgin TC, doesn't duplicate Metra. If the Kennedy closures back up traffic far west of the Edens Jct., using routes 600  and 605 may make sense (especially since parking at Rosemont is $7).

Similarly, although it seems like BNSF is close enough to I-88, the Kane County Pace director is agitating for I-88 service.

Update: transitchicago.com Rosemont page didn't get the message that the connecting Pace routes have changed several times in the past 20 years.

image.thumb.png.af684cf5f24f743f57cf5672cfa9a19e.png

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

The difference is that I-90 splits the difference between the UP-NW and MD-W, and, except for 603 at the Elgin TC, doesn't duplicate Metra. If the Kennedy closures back up traffic far west of the Edens Jct., using routes 600  and 605 may make sense (especially since parking at Rosemont is $7).

Similarly, although it seems like BNSF is close enough to I-88, the Kane County Pace director is agitating for I-88 service.

Update: transitchicago.com Rosemont page didn't get the message that the connecting Pace routes have changed several times in the past 20 years.

image.thumb.png.af684cf5f24f743f57cf5672cfa9a19e.png

That's funny!  Good luck waiting for a 325, 325, 610, or 637 

My point was, depending on where someone lived, it might be a better option to drive to a Metra station and ride the train as opposed to driving to the Park N Rides and taking the expresses.  Obviously if one lives closer to the tollway, the latter should be the best option. But people don't seem to mind the brutal commute times driving in normal rush hour conditions so I don't think we will see a massive uptick in Metra or Pace ridership.   My only question is if the downtown Loop office workforce is still stagnant why is vehicular traffic travel times at or above pre-pandemic levels?

46 minutes ago, Tcmetro said:

My guess is that even with fewer people working downtown, more are driving because parking is cheaper.

That doesn't seem to be the case. One site has a few cheaper rates, but most are $12-18.  That compares to $7 at Rosemont and $6 at Cumberland. That compares to free at NWTC, and while that used to be packed, the last couple of times I was by there recently, it was empty. I'm sure Pace would reinstate P&R at Northwest Point and NOW Arena if there were any demand. Hence, I conclude that there isn't any, or what demand exists doesn't want to mess with public transportation until the expressway becomes intolerable.

14 minutes ago, Busjack said:

That doesn't seem to be the case. One site has a few cheaper rates, but most are $12-18.  That compares to $7 at Rosemont and $6 at Cumberland. That compares to free at NWTC, and while that used to be packed, the last couple of times I was by there recently, it was empty. I'm sure Pace would reinstate P&R at Northwest Point and NOW Arena if there were any demand. Hence, I conclude that there isn't any, or what demand exists doesn't want to mess with public transportation until the expressway becomes intolerable.

Not helping is the reality or perception of crime on the CTA, particularly the rail system.  Crimes in Des Plaines and Park Ridge add to people's fear.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
2 hours ago, Nitro said:

Now I'd like to mention something would the MCIs be used like they are in NJ and NY? I mean if the CTA is willing to diversify their fleet you might just order them en masse. I mean they already modernized and simplified their bus roster anyways.

There aren't any CTA routes that are conducive to motorcoach vehicles. 

21 hours ago, Nitro said:

Now I'd like to mention something would the MCIs be used like they are in NJ and NY? I mean if the CTA is willing to diversify their fleet you might just order them en masse. I mean they already modernized and simplified their bus roster anyways.

Get familiar with the city and how things are ran so you can make more justified suggestions. Check the community guidelines which say in some many words "explain why this change would make sense"

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, strictures said:

No, the 200s in Evanston would work.  So would the 96 on Lunt, which should really run on Pratt.

96 and the Evanstons are the LAST places a long distance/commuter style coach such as an MCI would make sense unless the Evanston express goes bye bye. If MCIs DID have a use (which they definitely don't) I'd place them on the LaSalle express before anything 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Sam92 said:

96 and the Evanstons are the LAST places a long distance/commuter style coach such as an MCI would make sense unless the Evanston express goes bye bye. If MCIs DID have a use (which they definitely don't) I'd place them on the LaSalle express before anything 

I'm referring to the very low usage of all of those routes, so the narrow aisle wouldn't be a factor as there are never any standees on those routes.  The 192 could also use them, but they would have to add runs because there are often standees in both directions.

45 minutes ago, strictures said:

I'm referring to the very low usage of all of those routes, so the narrow aisle wouldn't be a factor as there are never any standees on those routes.  The 192 could also use them, but they would have to add runs because there are often standees in both directions.

So in other words you emphasize EVEN MORE that bringing MCIs to Chicago just for the sake of diversifying fleet as the original commenter is both pointless AND an added expense. Replacing a 60 ft vehicle with 40-45ft one is a step backward ESPECIALLY if you have to add runs to the route. I doubt UofC would go for that and pay that extra money. I can't speak for what goes on in NY or NJ but I DO know that MCI is a TOURIST/CHARTER focused bus build. That's why the few of them we have with pace are again used on LONG HAUL COMMUTE routes. 

• Upvote 2